To Go or Not To Go....that is the question!

Options
Hello Everyone! I'm a few days new to this site and have the dreaded GYM question. I'm 26 yrs. old, 5'10 and morbidly obese (sorry no weight telling from me)!!! I "try" to walk (also attempt to kinda jog) a mile at least 3 times a week. My work is a desk job where I sit on my tush all day. I NEED some opinions on what I really should start doing exercise wise. My diet is totally in check and I have that under control. I really want to avoid the gym at all cost, because of ME being a baby and paranoid about all the fitness freaks watching my whale *kitten* trying to workout. Also is there any tips that anyone can share on avoiding loose skin? Thank you so much in advanced for you opinions!!!

Replies

• Jenlynphi
    Jenlynphi Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Go to the gym! I don't have the energy to watch everyone else when I am working out and if I did, it's because I am inspired by them. :) Everyone has to start somewhere. :) If you really don't want to go, walk everyday. You can build up to jogging. :)
  • ahappyapple
    ahappyapple Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I bought a fitness ball to sit on at my desk. That helps at least to work out my core while I am sitting down.
  • sabrafox
    sabrafox Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Okay, first of all, I am also morbidly obese, and if there's one thing I've learned from going to the gym, it's that no one is watching you. They're too busy with their own workouts. I know it can be a little scary, but I've only had wonderful experiences - those "muscle head" guys are often very helpful if you have any questions.

Secondly, if you REALLY don't want to, you can work out without the gym! Walking is a great start; once that starts to seem easy, add in some jogging. You can go to Academy and buy a couple dumbells to do strength training with.

Find an exercise you really like to do. For me, that's walking and Zumba classes at my gym. For you it might be swimming or the stationary bike or something else altogether.
    As for saggy skin, if it has truly stretched (stretch marks), there is not a ton you can do BUT you can do strength training which will help, and which will speed up your metabolism. Don't be afraid to life real weights. 2 pound curls 100 times aren't gonna do anything. You will NOT bulk up unless you start taking some testosterone or crazy supplements.

Best of luck!
  • lunula76
    lunula76 Posts: 38
    Options
    I would say try to walk for a half hour 3 or more days a week. If a half hour is up and you don't feel like you are dying keep going. Don't try to jog if it is beyond your comfort zone. When I started I could barely walk 10 minutes up my road. I tried to push too far too fast and I injured myself - more than once. Which set me back and frustrated me and did not help me to make the changes I need to. You can walk carrying small weights to increase the challenge a bit.

I hear you on Gyms. I HATE those places!
  • lakenleona
    lakenleona Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Find exercise routines you can do at home. I haven't been using the gym during the summer and I try to work out at least 3 to 4 times a week. If you have some light free weights (maybe 3 or 5 lbs) you can use those to tone your arms. That's really the only thing that will help with loose skin....to work out and build muscle while losing weight. Don't try to lose all the weight THEN work on your muscles. It really helps to tone while you lose weight. And keep walking! You're doing great! :)
  • ahavoc
    ahavoc Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym, and I thought I would feel like you, but you know what? That didn't happen. If people do say anything to me, they are very nice, men and women, and they encourage me because if anyone really needs to be there it's ME! And the fact that I'm doing it, they're seeing me go all the time and they recognize I'm trying to do something, and they will be the first to help me, or show me something new, or how to do something correctly. But if you really don't want to go, then I say, get a good treadmill or elliptical for your home, and make it a rule that you can't hang your clothes on it. Get rid of the couch/chair in front of the tv, and put the treadmill or whatever right in front, and just walk while you watch. I think it's harder to have the self discipline when you're at home, when you're at the gym it's much more inspiring. I'm not shy. I have 80 more pounds to lose, and I'm going to do it with the help of everyone here.
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    Curves; curves is for women only & very few are petite. Join the YMCA? you can take classes or go alone. I moved to an apt complex with a fitness room & a pool. If you have access to stairs - any stairs - it's one of the best workouts you can do.
    Swimming is great low impact exercise. Do you like bicycling? very low impact, and fun.
    most important thing is - move. oh, and WATER!

best wishes ~
  • JediMaster_intraining
    Options
    I would just go to the gym! I never like looking at other people because I'm looking at myself to make sure I don't look ridiculous. You could buy your own set of hand weights and do them while sitting at your desk or at home. If you can, take the stairs even if you can only go one flight. At the gym you could just do something like walking on the treadmill for 30 minutes and work your way up. Wear headphones so you are just thinking about how awesome it feels to be active! The music will help. Invite a friend to walk with you and just chat on the walk. Lose yourself in the exercise! Feel how in control you are of your goals!

There's a lot you can do! You just have to DO IT and BELIEVE in YOURSELF! :smile:
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I never go to a gym. I prefer to do my workouts at home. I have an elliptical machine that i use, my hubby & I walk or hike together, and we also use an exercise dvd @ home. You do not have to go to the gym. But do something to get moving. Walking us great. You can get exercise videos from the library to try out @ home, and there is a lot of exercise info available online if you want to try some strength training. You'll find something that will appeal to you. Then maybe when you feel more comfortable you can join a gym if you want. Just do what works for you. Best of luck! :)
  • Cyd46
    Cyd46 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    You need to do what your comfortable in doing. If not the Gym....Then I say there are many things you can do at home. I do everything at home. In this journey sometimes you have to take baby steps I feel anyways. You don't want to do something that you end up giving up. Good luck in your journey!! YOU CAN DO IT!! Here are some thing's I do and did to help me.

1. Dvd's - There are many to choose from. Jillian Michael has great ones
    2; Youtube - You can find all kinds of exercise video's there
    3. Walking
    4. Walking and jogging combo. ~ I did that and now I am running
    5. Comcast~ Cable company has video's on demand
    6. Strength training

Hope that helps. I feared and still fear the Gym. I hope one day I can go there. I still have found you can do so many thing's at home. This way your in your comfort zone. Baby steps I say...you can always change in the future!!

Good LUCK!! : )
  • wonnder1
    wonnder1 Posts: 460
    Options
    I'm with everyone else on the gym. Nobody cares. They may see you walk in, but it's just that you get to recognize the people at your gym who come in around the same time. When I go at a different time, I actually feel uncomfortable for a minute or two-cause they don't know me, and they don't know how hard I'm working. Then I start to sweat and I no longer care about THEM.

It took a couple weeks for me to feel like I "deserved" to be there, but you do get over it. And let's face it, you're judged all the time, at the grocery store, at the movies etc etc etc. If you *really* worried about it-you'd never leave the house. It's wrong, but it's just life.

I LOVE the gym now, and would give up cable before I gave up my membership. It's the one thing I do that is for only me.
  • slimmer189
    slimmer189 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I like the WII - I do that when I can't make a class - also, I take an exercise class at a local community center - the group is very diverse and the instructors are great - no pressure - just a great group of women of all ages and sizes having fun.
  • ChelseyL1015
    Options
    Thank you all so much!! So much GREAT advice and wonderful opinions!! I really appreciate everyone's time in reading my woe's about the gym!! I feel comfortable in my neighborhood, but really want the best results possible (as everyone does). I might just have to grow some you know what's and TRY the gym to see what benefits me most. Okay okay.....maybe I'll give it a try in a few months LOL!! Don't wanna RUSH into anything and regret it!!
  • ChelseyL1015
    Options
    I'm with everyone else on the gym. Nobody cares. They may see you walk in, but it's just that you get to recognize the people at your gym who come in around the same time. When I go at a different time, I actually feel uncomfortable for a minute or two-cause they don't know me, and they don't know how hard I'm working. Then I start to sweat and I no longer care about THEM.

It took a couple weeks for me to feel like I "deserved" to be there, but you do get over it. And let's face it, you're judged all the time, at the grocery store, at the movies etc etc etc. If you *really* worried about it-you'd never leave the house. It's wrong, but it's just life.

I LOVE the gym now, and would give up cable before I gave up my membership. It's the one thing I do that is for only me.

Well, I'll be honest with ya. I think I have anxiety issues going in the public for some reason. I avoid it!! Although I've been trying to break myself of being a hermit crab lately because I AM missing out on life. I'm making some positive progress. Now I haven't stayed in my house like it's a prison or anything LOL! Like locking myself in for a year or years!! I do have a job I go to everyday and I DO grocery shop, go to the mall and such. it's just on certain days I have HIGHER anxiety than other days. I go on my good days LOL!!
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    The other people at the gym are going to be more occupied worrying about their own workouts, NOT yours.
  • wonnder1
    wonnder1 Posts: 460
    Options
    Well, I'll be honest with ya. I think I have anxiety issues going in the public for some reason. I avoid it!! Although I've been trying to break myself of being a hermit crab lately because I AM missing out on life. I'm making some positive progress. Now I haven't stayed in my house like it's a prison or anything LOL! Like locking myself in for a year or years!! I do have a job I go to everyday and I DO grocery shop, go to the mall and such. it's just on certain days I have HIGHER anxiety than other days. I go on my good days LOL!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjrBdKXgYFY

The more you go, the better your anxiety will be, I guarantee it. But yes, you do have to go at your own pace.
  • ChelseyL1015
    Options
    The other people at the gym are going to be more occupied worrying about their own workouts, NOT yours.
    I'm LEARNING that as I'm not a gym member and have not went to one in a very long while LOL!!!
  • ripped4life1
    Options
    I know you have tons of answers; and maybe this is reiterating some of them. Your health is for YOU, not anyone else. I'm not a skinny minnie and I joined the gym recently, now that I go I see people in different places. Those who are fitness buffs, those with some to lose, and those with a lot to lose, everyone is at a different place. Once you get in the swing of it you realize their all people like you trying to attain a goal whether maintaining the goal, or reaching hard for it. Be encouraged whether you want to stay at home and do a video or if you want to go to the gym, but you are scared. Like Nike, JUST DO IT!!! (-:
  • MacSkillz
    MacSkillz Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    One of my go to exercise routines is the EA Sports Active 2 for the Wii. It's also available for the X Box and PS3. It does get a little boring after a while, but you just gotta switch it up with something else. But it's great because you get to work out AT HOME!! ^_^ That's what really sold me. I felt the same way you did if I went to the gym.... especially where I am, it's the gym that everyone that I went to high school with and I get even more insecure. So I dropped the membership and got a Wii and EA Sports Active 2. I do that plus Power 90 and I'm slowly but surely getting results. :)
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Quite honestly, I don't pay attention to other people unless I'm on the treadmill, and then I'm a people watcher,

BUT. I am never, ever negative. I absolutely admire everyone who stopped whatever they were doing and took the time to go to the gym. If they're fit: Great! Their work has paid off and it shows what I am capable of. If they're on the other end of the spectrum: I am filled with so much happiness that they are taking steps to improve their health.. I seriously want to give them hugs and tell them so, but I would be known as "that weird hugging chick".

GO TO THE GYM. :) I'm proud of you!!