Tips to curb emotional eating

Options
Hey everyone! I just wanted to hear ideas of what you do to stop emotional eating. I started really focusing on the "mindset" aspect this week. I have done really well and have lost four pounds which is a bonus! What i have tried so far is chewing gum, distractions, water, and journaling. Just wondered if you guys have any other good ideas, thanks

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Address the emotions.

The book, Habit by Duhigg.

http://www.cci.health.wa.gov.au/resources/consumers.cfm
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I’m an introvert so turtling up helps me. I can bury my head in a book, go for a walk, have a hot bath, win half my chess games, or knit.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Eating is good, we all eat to feel better. But if your eating has gotten out of hand, like an automatic response to any emotion, you should do something about it. If you have any issues that need professional help, get that help. If you don't have a good meal schedule already, get that in as well.
  • Iamnotasenior
    Iamnotasenior Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Do something that is comforting that does not involve food. Take a hot bath, light a scented candle, listen to soothing music, take a walk or do some yoga or meditation, give yourself a facial treatment or get a manicure.
  • verybusybee
    verybusybee Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    @Jess03171224 I have issues with emotional eating too. I have heard great things about journaling but I haven't done it. What works best for me is to get moving, or to do something that doesn't revolve around food. A manicure, a walk, coloring, etc.
  • ElizaD1313
    ElizaD1313 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I emotional eat when I'm upset.

I learnt how to get angry at whatever upset me. Mean boss, idiot customer. Then all I wanna do is punch. Doesn't have to be a person or evan an object just a way to vent anger.

that's just what works for me.
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 3,075 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Address the emotions.

The book, Habit by Duhigg.

http://www.cci.health.wa.gov.au/resources/consumers.cfm

Thanks for posting that link! Lots of resources.
  • schellies
    schellies Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I too srruggle from this daily. Looking for insight myself
  • Janice6543
    Janice6543 Posts: 92 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I had a bad habit of Netflix and snacking in the evening and/or snacking while bored or stressed. I have stopped watching netflix and replaced bad habits and coping mechanisms with something healthier. It sounds a bit cheesy, but 15 min of mfp success stories usually is enough to keep me on track.
  • lili200
    lili200 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I think you should target problematic habits/issue
    Let’s say staying at home when there is young child around, and you are tired and exhausted.
    If this is the case be ready, buy I trader joe or make your SO or pay someone to make you cut fresh food so you will eat that.
    Now I need to work and I am tired and bored so I am drinking lots of bubble water
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,491 Member
    Options
    Monitor what you say and what you think and start trying to decouple food from emotions. I used to go around saying I was starving. I've never been more than a bit hungry temporarily. I don't love pizza, cookies, or ice cream. I love my family. Saying I love food is another unhelpful exaggeration. It's not true.

Look at your program. Weight loss is a set of thing to do. At any point in time your plan is either effective or ineffective. You are either handling a situation effectively, or you could have done better. You are not a bad person if you eat too much. Making weight loss about character ups the ante in an unhelpful way. Hopefully you start moving to the point where food is mostly fuel.

If agitated at home, do a dirty job. If you can't get out of the kitchen, get out of the house. If you feel you need comfort, take a hot bath or get a massage. That full feeling is not comfort, and will bite you at weigh in time. All occasions are not special. My emotional eating was tied to- nothing really. Any emotion was a reason to eat. Good day, bad day, happy, lonely- all reasons to eat. If hunger isn't the problem, food isn't the solution.
  • fiona4879
    fiona4879 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have been an emotional eater as well, until very recently. Changing the habit is an unexpected bonus of Bikram (hot) Yoga. I do it 3 times a week. There has been research done which shows many people have had the same result. It could be because of the state of mindfulness, or it could be the fact it occupies me 3 evenings a week, or the feeling of calm, release and satisfaction. The researchers didn't come to a conclusion. Bikram is challenging but totally worth it. Just a suggestion.