Meat - Cooking Method

Options
When you look up a meat in the database - for instance a pork loin chop. You get several options: raw, braised, pan-fried, broiled ect. Unless you use oil or marinades, why would cooking the meat add fat? In this case, the raw chop has less fat than the broiled chop.

How do you log this?

I am actually going to grill them, which isn't an option. So, tell me how you log your meat please.

Replies

• sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I log raw usually if I'm not adding fat. The raw measurement is taking into account that it will shrink during cooking anyway.
  • dmbnj
    dmbnj Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I weigh and log it raw. i usually grill so there are no oils to add.
  • wonnder1
    wonnder1 Posts: 460
    Options
    The method of cooking can absolutely "add" fat. For instance, crispy bacon has most of the fat cooked off, while awesome chewy bacon is still a lot of fat. Marinades and oil of course. BBQing most of the fat drips off. Broiling it sits in its own fat and cooks.
  • deannarey13
    Options
    The method of cooking can absolutely "add" fat. For instance, crispy bacon has most of the fat cooked off, while awesome chewy bacon is still a lot of fat. Marinades and oil of course. BBQing most of the fat drips off. Broiling it sits in its own fat and cooks.

Right, but the raw measurement should have the same or more fat content right? In this case it doesn't. The raw has less fat. If I broil my chop, it can't have more fat than it started with raw, right? That is why it doesn't make sense to me.
  • wonnder1
    wonnder1 Posts: 460
    Options
    Yeah-It's the problem with the tracker here-cause it's entered by regular people...it's pretty subjective, some people cut the fat off, some people don't. If it makes me wonder, I'll usually get a second opinion from a couple other websites.
  • deannarey13
    Options
    Bump
  • deannarey13
    Options
    Still looking for more feedback.