Good (food) ratios

Hello all!

I don't really eat that bad, but I have a goal to eat better. I know a huge part of being healthy is to eat healthy, and I am just curious what are the right ratios for protein/fat/carbs in all meals? What is the best way to go about it?

Thank you for your help!

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,072 Member
    Absolutely no need to hit a specific ratio in each meal, as opposed to across the day. And there's no "right ratio" for everybody. Select what fits your goals.

Personally, I don't worry about "ratios." They make no sense to me. The number of grams of protein and fat I need do not vary based on whether I'm trying to lose a pound or half a pound a week, eat at maintenance, or am bulking (or relaxing the limits during a celebration), or if I log exercise and earn more calories,* yet if I change my daily calorie goal, the number of grams of protein and fat I'm told to eat change if I base it on "ratios."

*Yes, OK, my protein needs may go up a bit if the exercise is tearing down my muscles more than an ordinary day. But I doubt that increase is directly related to the ratio I've chosen. After all, people choose many different ratios, so the extra grams of protein they're supposed to get don't up the same amount with the exercise they log.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    An even huger part of being healthy, is having a healthy relationship with food. There are no "right" macro ratios. Humans can thrive on a wide range. But we need to get enough of all nutrients regularly, and if we eat too much over time, we get overweight. If you eat a variety of foods you like, balance your meals so they are appealing and tasty, and maintain a healthy weight for your height, you are eating healthily.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Echoing "there is no right ratio". There are many interpretations of healthy food and healthy eating. Do what works for you!

Personally, I go with what I think is sufficient protein (currently 1g per lb), and fats (50g +). Carbs are the rest, changing depending on my calorie goal at the time.

• Jesswoyno
    Jesswoyno Posts: 6 Member
    All of you rock - thank you so much for your input! :)
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,839 Member
    There is no specific ratio but the "healthy eating plate" gives you an idea of how to apportion overall consumption.
    qx6t4ichx44o.jpg