Do you weigh yourself after a pretty hard workout?

Options

Do you weigh yourself after a workout and if that weight is lower than your morning weigh-in...do you count that as a weight loss?
I admit I do this. Sometimes if I have been "stalling" on the same weight for a while, I try to break that cycle. I go for a really long walk for instance. Today I did this. I have been hanging around 171.6 forever now it feels like. 3-4 Weeks. !
Yes, my overall trend has been 1.6 pounds a week, but the last few of weeks I haven't lost any. So I went on a 11 mile walk. I love walking but usually stick to 4-5 miles, 5-6 days a week. My body is used to this and I really don't feel any affect after.
When I came home after my 11 mile walk today, I showered and weighed myself. I was 169. Then I drank a lot of water and my weight went up to 170.5 . That is the weight I logged.
Am I fooling myself here?

Replies

• Blythmag
    Blythmag Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    You can record ya weight at anytime, up or down thats the weight you are.

As long as you can handle the ups then no you arent fooling yaself.ignore above.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Your dehydrated weight or your hydrated weight are simply water either lost or replenished. The number the scale reads at either or does not really reflect anything other then that. Fat loss is lost over a period of time and only consistent treads down are what you should be going by. If you log the dehydrated weight you are just going to have to wait until you weigh that same Amount of less when hydrated

Yeah..i.know..i do it more for a boost. I know it's silly. Thank for a nice sensible answer.
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    No adjustments to my daily log but sure sometimes I do. As soon as I’ve consumed something or exercised it is no longer acurate to my daily tracking, but it can be interesting to see if changes happen after various activities but it’s purely for fun.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Yup..you have to have fun sometimes^
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I went for a 100 mile bicycle ride yesterday and I was four pounds lighter than I was the day before after a twenty mile bicycle ride. While I burned enough calories to lose a pound of fat the rest of that loss is due to dehydration.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    No. You weigh yourself first thing in the morning. That's the weight that counts.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    No, I've never even considered it...
  • BBum69
    BBum69 Posts: 35 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Whether you are fooling yourself or not is 100% up to you. If you are well informed and put that information in the proper context, then you won't be fooled. You might even find it to be useful. However, if you are not so knowledgeable and want to assign a great deal of importance to a very small data sample, then you probably aren't helping yourself.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I don't see the value in doing that. You know weights are different at different times of day under different conditions.
    Maybe you are getting a bit too hung up on the number if you feel you need to game it in that way.
    If you haven't lost or gained weight for 4 weeks check the accuracy of your logging. If everything seems pretty good you might need to lower your calorie goal.

I compare my weight from the same conditions-about 8 AM in the morning after using bathroom but before eating or drinking anything. I don't step on the scale otherwise.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I have never in my life weighed myself after a workout.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Do I weigh myself after a hard workout?
    Yes, sometimes. I've done it out of curiosity, but also to try to figure out how much fluid I lose through sweat during a workout (important for endurance athletes).

Do I consider it weight loss?
    Hell no.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once at night and once in the morning. That way I can help determine what I do that day.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    No. I routinely weigh myself in the morning every day. I did weigh myself once after a workout to see how I'm doing on hydration, and it turns out I drink more than my fill of water during exercise because I was heavier. Makes sense. I usually drink about 2 liters while exercising, but I'm a heavy sweater so I wasn't sure if that was enough. It was more than enough. If I did weigh myself after exercise regularly I wouldn't consider it weight loss, just like I don't consider being heavier after a meal weight gain.
  • Marcie9278
    Marcie9278 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    My weight is always higher because of the water and I'm assuming the swelling.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    Marcie9278 wrote: »
    My weight is always higher because of the water and I'm assuming the swelling.

Same