HR monitor with Calorie counter???

Options
...are they out there. i have been looking for ways to most accurately count the calories lost throughout the day and during exercising. the machines in the gym are not accurate, the MFP exercise lists are never even close to what the gym machines say. i have done some research online but what i want to know is not answered. is there a watch or arm HR monitor that also measures your calories lost? if there are any out there, is there one where i don't have to pay extra to be able to use it? all i want is something to tell me how many calories i have lost based on my exercise. i don't want to have to subscribe to a website or be a member of some club, i already have MFP to track what i eat and exercise, i just want accurate calorie loss tracking. am i asking for too much?

Replies

• lalalalyndsey
    Options
    bump!!!! I've been wondering the same thing!
  • audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I have a sportline HRM model #1010 I think...It has a calorie monitor and a chest strap...I've had it for 4 days and really like it.
    Features: Calories, time below your "zone" , time in your "zone" , time about your "zone"...Will beep at you if you stay below your workout "zone" too long.

I really like mine..it was $65 at acadamy sports
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I don't think there are any HRMs that actually measure your calories burned directly, they all use algorithims to estimate your calories burned based on you heart-rate. There are some more expensive models out there that use more sophisticated algorithims, but they run in the hundreds of dollars range.

I just bought a Polar FT4 from Amazon for $50 and I absolutely love it! I figure it's close enough.

P.S. When I wore my HRM on the treadmill and one other machine at the gym....the machines were SPOT on, matched the HRM almost calorie for calorie. At the end of my workout, there was only a 2 calorie difference. I was pretty impressed with the machines.
  • SusanneWhittington
    SusanneWhittington Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I got me the S12 from WalMart and am very happy with it, it measures my heartrate, gives me my steps, my miles walked, my average heart rate while the walk and it documents the calories I used. There was a smaller version S7, but I wanted the step counter with it and we got the SX for my husband with the chest belt as addition, which you don't have to use, but can to not have to touch the watch every now and then, like extreme sports, e.g. Insanity. That does not have a step counter though, but gives you heart rates and calories for different laps. I find it more complicated, but I love my S12.
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I found several of these at ****'s and online. I'm debating on a couple, but really want one that doesn't need the strap. Will let you know what I decide and how I like it!
  • kymberlin
    kymberlin Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Most sporting stores carry them. I bought one from sears for $100. I wasnt smart enough to use it. Returned it and bought a $70 one from walmart. Had the same problem, returned it and bought the $38 from walmart. works well, not so complicated. The only problem is sometimes I know my heart rate is up, but the calories are barely burning. So long story short, I guess you get what you pay for. Also I heard you really need the chest strap to get super accurate readings.
  • lisahightower2
    Options
    I saw a lot of recommendations for the Polar FT7. I just bought one off eBay and used it for the first time today. I LOVE it so far. It has a chest strap and a watch that reads your heart rate and calories burned. It remembers something like the last 10 workouts so you can track your progress. It's $89.99 at Academy, but I got mine on eBay for $79, brand new and free shipping.
  • JCPruitt
    JCPruitt Posts: 53
    Options
    I have a Sportline as well. Polar also makes them, but they cost quite a bit more. It took a little tweaking to get the stride set so it matched the actual distance--drove it and mapped it to verify. I have liked it so far and have been using it about 2 weeks. I don't use the beeps--tried once and found them annoying. Overall I like it. Polar does make accessories--including a sportbra that holds the chest HRH part. I think Polar and Sportline use the same style band, so I am thinking about getting one.
  • dmbnj
    dmbnj Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    The pricier ones allow you to compute your VO2 max to accurately calculate your calorie burn. The others guesstimate it. Unless you are looking to have your BMR professionally calculated and use your calorie count to maintain your current weight, a guesstimate from the machine you are working out on is close enough.
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I found several of these at ****'s and online. I'm debating on a couple, but really want one that doesn't need the strap. Will let you know what I decide and how I like it!

Why don't you want the strap? It's the only way to really get an accurate reading. Mine has a strap and it's not uncomfortable or noticeable at all, unless I'm wearing a tight white tanktop.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Here is the article that made me choose to get at least a Polar FT6 or higher -- I got the FT7
    I was also looking for the most accurate calorie count and following this article, and getting tested at the gym this one is about as I've come and I tried several. Make sure you at least get a chest strap and can program your stats in.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472
  • lisahightower2
    Options
    Mine has a chest strap and it is not even noticeable.
  • KristaWeiss
    KristaWeiss Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I found one that I use daily that is very accurate and it was at Wal-Mart in their sporting good section. It's a HR and Calorie counter wrist watch in one for $20. You take your HR periodically by placing a finger (usually index) on the sensor on the face and hold until it beeps. It will give you you HR and continue to keep track of calories burned. You just enter your basic info into the watch and the start working out. Its so simple and just as good as Nike, I've had mine for over a year now.
  • brocantrs
    brocantrs Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I saw a lot of recommendations for the Polar FT7. I just bought one off eBay and used it for the first time today. I LOVE it so far. It has a chest strap and a watch that reads your heart rate and calories burned. It remembers something like the last 10 workouts so you can track your progress. It's $89.99 at Academy, but I got mine on eBay for $79, brand new and free shipping.
    I have a Polar FT7 also and I am very pleased with it. I have used it for walking and yard work. Getting my bicycle ready for the road and will soon be using it for that too!
  • Bourds
    Bourds Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I just bought a Polar GPS Trainer at Best Buy (normally $329 for $90) last weekend. I am using it daily and it is based on my height, weight, heart rate, etc and tells me how many calories I burn walking, running, bicylcling, etc. Along with speed, distance. I think it is great and keeps a running weekly total too along with your last 100 sessions. I find it to be awesome. Check out the Best Buy website where I think it is $150 but I found it cheaper in my actual store.
  • 16mixingbowls
    16mixingbowls Posts: 205 Member
    Options

I think the strap makes it more accurate.... the strap actually captures your heart beating in your chest. Just a watch band seems less accurate to me, but this is total guessing on my part. Also, many chest-strap ones are compatible with the HRM monitors on cardio machines at the gym. When I'm wearing my Nike Imara HRM and am on a treadmill, the HRM on the treadmill displays my heart rate, even without holding on the metal sensors.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    First off HRM's are not made to be worn all day long.. only during exercise. If you want one to wear all day long when you need a body bug or body media fit.. but those do cost extra.

Second be weary of buying a real cheap one.. you get what you pay for when it comes to HRM's and real cheap ones will not accurately calculate calories. Watch only ones will also not calculate calories correctly.. so make sure that you get one with a chest strap.

I personally have a Polar FT7 and I love it. Very easy to use/set up.. and the strap is really comfortable.
  • microwoman999
    microwoman999 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • veggiepug
    Options
    I don't think there are any HRMs that actually measure your calories burned directly, they all use algorithims to estimate your calories burned based on you heart-rate. There are some more expensive models out there that use more sophisticated algorithims, but they run in the hundreds of dollars range.

I just bought a Polar FT4 from Amazon for $50 and I absolutely love it! I figure it's close enough.

P.S. When I wore my HRM on the treadmill and one other machine at the gym....the machines were SPOT on, matched the HRM almost calorie for calorie. At the end of my workout, there was only a 2 calorie difference. I was pretty impressed with the machines.

Are you sure it wasn't a machine that syncs up with Polar HRMs? I have a Polar F6 and some machines sync up with my HRM, so the machine count is accurate. On machines that don't sync, I find that they under estimate my calories burned by 100+.