Is a chicken kebab a wise choice from a Fish and Chip shop.

Options
I don't know if in the US you have Chicken Kebabs or similar but in the UK when I go into a Fish and Chip shop - I choose a Chicken Meat in Pitta Bread with Salad and normally leave out the sauce.

Is this a wise choice in terms of general nutrition when ordering?

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I look at "general nutrition" in the context of my overall diet, not my choices for one isolated meal.

If I go into a fish & chips shop, I'm having fish & chips.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    I look at "general nutrition" in the context of my overall diet, not my choices for one isolated meal.

If I go into a fish & chips shop, I'm having fish & chips.

Exactly...

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    It feels so sad and exhausting. Eat fish&chips in the fish&chip shop, make chicken with salad (and many many other things) at home.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Pita bread probably has more calories than the fish and chips.

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,088 Member
    Options
    So, similar to a chicken yiros but without so much flavouring?

I like wraps so I might pick that at a takeaway shop.

Whether it is a wise choice, who knows?

probably either could be .
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    I don't know if in the US you have Chicken Kebabs or similar but in the UK when I go into a Fish and Chip shop - I choose a Chicken Meat in Pitta Bread with Salad and normally leave out the sauce.

I don't live in the UK but it seems there must be a move away from tradition!! I wouldn't have expected to get Chicken in a Fish and Chips shop.

Both fish and chicken are considered better food choices than beef or pork, but a lot depends on preparation.My perception of Fish and Chips is a meal prepared in oil, which is going to be less healthy than something boiled or baked.

Does the shop have nutrition values posted on their menu board or website? You need to figure how many calories and other nutrients there are in whatever choice you make in order to determine which is the wiser option.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    The "wisdom" of your choice depends on your entire diet and also don't forget - just simply enjoying your food!
    No one meal can make or break a diet, either diet the verb or diet the noun.

Enter both choices in your food diary and then choose the one the works for you best on the day or within the week if you really feel the need to be so precise.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

Nonsense.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Rubbish.

Fish and chips is about 1200 cals. How big a pita bread do you think she got?!
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options

When I was still eating meat I'd have a chicken and lamb shish kebab around once a fortnight, not sure if it was any better than fish and chips (well yes I am, there is far less fat and I don't react well to fat), but it fitted in my Calorie and protein goals and as I always had a huge salad with it, it filled me up and was yummy oh and it didn't stop me losing 141lb. Now I don't eat meat I prefer to make my own shish kebabs using a range of veggies and halloumi, but if the kebab shop did a veggie kebab I'd jump at it (they don't so tonight I'm having the ever imaginative veggie burger while everyone else has kebab).
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options

The pitta bread I buy has <150 Calories, fish and chips probably has >1000
  • JustAnotherOneOfThoseGirls
    Options
    just get something that fits into your remaining calories and that you'll enjoy. If you like chicken kebab then get that. personally, if I have the calories left, I'll have fish and chips, if I don't then I'll have fish (but only eat the fish and not the batter, that way it's just like a steamed piece of cod) and get a small chips/a cone of chips/share