running and knee issues

Options
after running i feel pain on the hamstring and clicking on one knee , pain goes away in 1-2 days of resting but then sometimes it hurts again after a long run 3-4 miles.

anyone has the same problem and found any relief. i haven't rested more than 2 days between my runs.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Are you stretching properly after you run?
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    This is very common; you may want to look at specialized running forums though.

Anyways, it could be due to form, or shoes, or other things.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    kdk805 wrote: »
    after running i feel pain on the hamstring and clicking on one knee , pain goes away in 1-2 days of resting but then sometimes it hurts again after a long run 3-4 miles.

Hams are big, so assuming you mean at the lower point in the vicinity of the knee, there are several things it could be. Coupled with the clicking I'd suggest a conversation with a physiotherapist. The knee is a complex joint and many things can contribute, each with different remedies.

I have experienced Illiotibial Band Syndrome which was a result of ramping up my mileage too quickly in preparation for a Half. The symptoms you describe might be ITBS, but it might be something else and without examination there is no way to tell. Treating ITBS would worsen the problem if it is something else, and vice versa.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Physical Therapy! What the *kitten* to we know?
  • pzarnosky
    pzarnosky Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Stretch more. There are plenty of videos out there that can teach you stretches and yoga. Do some research and try them out :)
  • sausageparty1985
    sausageparty1985 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey ive got the same thing had it for over 9 weeks. It took me 7 weeks to get a physio appointment. I had alot of tension in all the leg muscles so was given stretches mostly on the hammys i had a second appointment the pains still there more if a niggling pain and clicking weirdly in a completely seperate place to the pain. The physio had another look and said ive just got to work on the hamstrings and they are still tight and actually to continue exersising as normal as ive not injured it and the more i do the more strenth ill get. Lots of streching them 2 to 3 times a day aswell. But obviously we are all different id self refer to the physio theyll be able to advise better
  • sausageparty1985
    sausageparty1985 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    He also said generally clicking isnt anything to ne worried about unless ita with severe pain and swelling. When studies have been done u can have somone who makes loud clicks and they have nothing wrong with thier joints not artiritis or injury yet someone with an injury doesnt normally click at all. Just to put ur mind at ease about that the click in mine can be so loud at times its hard to believe im.not injured! Its worse the tighter my hamstrings feel as u can feel.qhen they are tight
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    How fast are you running? How often and how far?

There are many reasons this could happen. One is doing too much too soon. Your heart and lungs will get stronger much faster than your legs. You have to keep your runs easy (you should be able to sing while you run) and don't add distance too quickly.

How's your form? Are your feet landing almost directly below you? If your feet land way out in front, your knees can suffer. Keep your stride short and quick. Keep your body upright and your arm swing in line with your body (not across it).

Do you have proper shoes? If you have not been evaluated at a specialty running store, do it now. Running in the correct shoes for your gait will help.

And don't forget to cross train. Strengthening your legs, glutes, and core will help prevent injury (and make your runs better). I also agree with stretching AFTER you run (most runners are not good role models here - do as I say, not as I (don't) do). :wink:

Good luck.