Help choosing an HRM!

Options
I've always used a pedometer, and was surprised to learn that so many MFPers use HRMs. I want to get one for myself, but there are just so many choices, I have no idea where to start. Anyone have some good (but still reasonably cheap - I'm a poor college student!) suggestions?

Replies

• rks6902
    rks6902 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I got a pretty decent one at Target. Its not the one I really want but it was budget friendly. Try there ar amazon. I think the one from Target is a Polar and keeps track of heart rate and calories burned based on individual stats you enter including your weight.
  • francena84
    Options
    This might be a stupid question but do heart rate moniters calculate calories burned? Is it accurate??
  • Tess12513
    Options
    Funny you should write about this...I just got one today! I bought the Timex Ironman Zone Trainer at Sports Authority. I'm not sure what your price range is... they are normally $99 but currently on sale for $70. I tried it out today and it works great! It's also waterproof and not bulky like some of the other ones. It just looks like a small digital watch. I think it's very easy to use and this one monitors calories burned as well... much more reliable than the gym equipment :)
    Hope this helps! Good luck with your search!
  • Tess12513
    Options
    Only some of the monitors will calculate calories burned. If you have the time and desire to calculate calories burned manually, here is the formula for a woman:

Calories Burned= [(0.4472HR + 0.1263W + 0.074A - 20.40220 / 4.184] x T

HR= average heart rate during your workout (this is what most HRMs will tell you)
    W= weight in kg (just take pounds and divide by 2.2)
    A= age in years
    T= time of workout in minutes
  • Soon2BMrsRamos
    Options
    I have a $ 50 CVS brand one (which has a lifetime warrenty-if you don't like it you can return it) As long as you put your settings accurate (weight, height, age, gender, etc.) then it gives you the amount of calories you burned during a specific activity.
  • francena84
    Options
    Only some of the monitors will calculate calories burned. If you have the time and desire to calculate calories burned manually, here is the formula for a woman:

Calories Burned= [(0.4472HR + 0.1263W + 0.074A - 20.40220 / 4.184] x T

HR= average heart rate during your workout (this is what most HRMs will tell you)
    W= weight in kg (just take pounds and divide by 2.2)
    A= age in years
    T= time of workout in minutes

wow thank you,. where did you get the formula for that calculation?? Im gonna have to use it :)
  • Tess12513
    Options

wow thank you,. where did you get the formula for that calculation?? Im gonna have to use it :)

I work in healthcare...haha just one of the things they make us learn...I'm glad I am actually putting it to use though! We never actually use this on patients!