Calorie increase?

Options
Hey guys! I’ve been using MFP for 2 weeks & I’m enjoying it so far! I’m fairly active & work out 3-5 times a week & average 10,000-15,000 steps a day! I’m 170 & my goal is 150!

I started at 1,500 and I was so hungry so I increased to 1,700, but some days that doesn’t seem like enough! So I changed my goals to 1 lbs a week &. It’s giving me 1,900 now! I know in the grand scheme of things that’s not a lot of calories but it sounds like a lot to me lol. Has anyone increased their calories and still lost? Thanks!

Replies

• spiffychick85
    spiffychick85 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Have you lost weight on 1900?....if yes, then it's just fine. I'm 125lbs and could still lose on 1900...it seems like a lot because we've been programmed by the media to think of weight loss occurring only if we are eating really low numbers or salads 3 meals a day. Try it and see if it works for you, but I don't see why it wouldn't :)
  • misnomer1
    misnomer1 Posts: 646 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    What have you set activity level in mfp as and do you manually log your exercise?

To answer your question, i have increased my calorie allowance from 1600 for month 1 of mfp to 2200 after that and still lost weight although slower. After month 1, i figured out my maintenance calories and decided i could eat more and still lose weight without being hungry. I also had only 20-30lbs to lose like you. Im down 17, 8-10more to go.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Why were you trying to lose more than 1 pound with only 20 pounds to lose?

eta a calorie deficit is a calorie deficit rather it be 750, 500 or 250 calories.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Go into your diary settings and change sugar to fiber, I suspect that is low. Also, you may want to do some experiment by increasing protein a bit more, and also replacing some carbs with fats. Protein and fiber highly satiate people, but some people also respond to fats.

ETA: considering your activity level, 1900 might not be too unrealistic of a target. I know plenty of women who lose weight consistently at that level.
  • maybe1pe
    maybe1pe Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I weight 175 and I have the same step range as you. Do weights 4 days a week (upper/lower/core split) and 1 day cardio. And have been eating 1900-2200 and losing about a lb a week.

I would say try 1900 for at least a month and see if you're losing weight as expected?
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    If you are 170, young and active, 1900 should work just fine. I aim for around 2000.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Try it and see how it works. I can lose on 1900 but that has no bearing on whether or not you can.