Night time snacking.

Options
Anyone got any tips for night time snacking. I am happy in the day and stick to plan also try to do extra steps through dog walking every day, but always seem to wake up in the night hungry then I seem to have no self control and just go to get snacks that blows all my hard work out the window. MFP tells me that I would loose just over a stone over five weeks if I stuck to it but I seem to sabotage myself every night. No jokes please I know it sounds funny but its not when you have to live with it. Thanks in advance :-)

Replies

• FitFedin09
    FitFedin09 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I work overnight so I'm always snacking late. It's what you choose to snack on. I personally either eat an apple with "Better" brand peanut butter or grapes with cheese sticks. As long as you're balancing your diet throughout the day; you should be fine.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    It doesn't sound funny at all. If you wake up from hunger, you're eating too little, or poorly, or both. Maybe you have set a too aggressive weightloss rate. Set your weekly weightloss rate to whatever is closest to 1% of your bodyweight, and aim to hit the calorie goal you get, every day, eating a balanced and varied diet. No, you can't necessarily lose over a stone in five weeks - that takes not just sticking to your current calorie goal, but also having the necessary fat stores.
  • ISweat4This
    ISweat4This Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Would removing snacks from your home help? Is your dinner satisfying you?
  • xxangie88xx
    xxangie88xx Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm loving Greek Yogurt as a snack before bed, some peanut butter and berries mixed in. Really filling.
  • smadarpopo
    smadarpopo Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You need to full yourself with low calories food like cabage soup so you would not need to eat snacks. Sorry for my English
  • GrammiJano
    GrammiJano Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone xx
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I plan for it. I'm not going to stop waking up hungry, so I might as well budget something in and have it ready. If I don't wake up, yay, extra calories. If I do, no problem, it's budgeted.
  • GrammiJano
    Options
    Great idea! :-)
  • MayaLoma
    MayaLoma Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue - I always do 2 granola bars. So I did what Momepro mentioned and budget that in to my day. I add it to my plan first thing in the morning. And of course, keep those items out of your house which don't suit your new lifestyle - it is sabotage.
    I also keep in mind that nutrition plans are NOT a one size fits all. We need to tweak a bit to get it right for our individual Self.
    This transformation is not only physical but psychological in nature ... Keep loving yourself and your transformation into the new you.
  • connieelaine24
    connieelaine24 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I use to like to eat grapefruit,...because it took awhile to eat and part of wanting to eat was bordom. So I'd spend time cutting it and separating those little pieces, I'd spend more time prepping to eat it than the food I got out of it..lol
  • softballer3434
    softballer3434 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This is my biggest issue! I sometimes wake up and have to eat something (usually HAS to be chocolate) but always No matter how exhausted I am I think I have to snack in bed before I go to sleep. Just break the habit right? But how?! Many times it's more healthy choices but not always. And getting the bad food out of the house isn't an option with kids. Hopefully when I want better results bad enough I'll make it happen... I've wanted it pretty badly for a long time though. I've always kept in great shape all my life until I hit 40...now don't even recognize myself.... and don't want to. Good thoughts and well wishes out to all of you. Send some back. :-)
  • GrammiJano
    Options
    softballer3434 this is sooo me! I am great at dieting all day I eat a well balanced varied diet and the stuff I eat in my LNS I would never be tempted with during the day I would just never dream of eating it. I have to have the stuff in the house for my husbands pack up, he tells me not to buy it and that he isnt bothered but I dont feel that would be fair. He is one of lives lucky ppl who eats what he likes and doesnt worry about a thing and yet is soooo slim and healthy. But it is once I get tired or even fall asleep its like I wake up and will just eat anything normally the most chocolate filled calorific stuff I can find or crisps and bread. I have been to my G.P and hospital consultant all who say it is just a bad habit I have to break but how!!! Its like in my semi sleep I just dont think. Dont know about you but the last thing that seems to pop into my head is eating and apple or as someone sugested at my slimming world group Crab sticks lol. And its not hunger really I eat well during the day. I somehow need to find the strenght to break this cycle. But thanks all of you for your kind replies its good to know it isnt just me and other ppl battle with this problem too, most more successfully than me. Best wishes to u all in our quest for a healthier life :-)
  • debsmeow
    debsmeow Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I use to like to eat grapefruit,...because it took awhile to eat and part of wanting to eat was bordom. So I'd spend time cutting it and separating those little pieces, I'd spend more time prepping to eat it than the food I got out of it..lol

I love this idea, however as a nurse I should also let everyone know that grapefruit can increase the effects of some medication eg. warfarin. So if you’re on meds be aware and maybe don’t use grapefruit specifically but any other fiddly fruit is fine! Cheers :)