Accountability!

Options
I have been reading the Power of Less, by Leo Babauta. I decided that my one thing to focus on this month is my drinking. I don’t want to quite drinking, but I do need to reel it in a little. I read on the National Institute of Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism website that if a woman has no more than 3 drinks in a day and 7 in a week, then she will be a low-risk for developing a alcohol abuse disorder. I am going to set this as my numbers for the week. I haven’t ever kept track of the amount that I drink before, so this will be an eye opener for sure. Now that I have my goal I am going to report in daily and stay positive.

More about me...I’m 45 year old woman, and I’ve married for 24 years. We are recently empty nesters, and are enjoying every moment of it. I started to read The Power of Less because we decided to clean out the house when our last son left home, but it’s been an eye opener to what other aspects of our life can be less. I chose to focus on my drinking because of the calories and it’s negative effects on my weight loss goals, but I still want to go out to a nice dinner and have a glass of wine.

Replies

• Journey4Jen
    Journey4Jen Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    My first accountability report: Last night I had 1 5oz glass of wine after dinner.
    My friend set-up for us to go wine tasting on Saturday, so now my challenge begins.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Downsizing and simplifying things is something I find very helpful in maintaining a more balanced life.

Alcohol is something that can be very social, just like food, so making sure your intake is moderate is a good idea. I think you have a very good focus and realistic goals. I will also look into the book you referenced.

As for the wine tasting, well, it is just a tasting so keep that in mind and enjoy your day!
  • boehle
    boehle Posts: 5,062 Member
    Options
    7 in a week?!?
    Goodness. I am just trying to retain from beer this week.. baby steps.
    I thoroughly like my white wine.
  • Journey4Jen
    Options
    My goal is to log in daily for 30 days, so here is day 2.
    We did taco Tuesday, and I had 0 drinks! It’s a first in awhile.
    I’ve found that tea, non-decaf, is a good substitute for me. It has the same end of the day affect without the calories.
  • Journey4Jen
    Options
    Day 3 - Hubby signed us up for Wednesday's On Tap, it's a locale beer tasting event that runs for 5 weeks. Lots of fun, and for a non-beer drinker it allows me to sample a variety of beers. Last night was the last one, and they had hard cider. I stuck to the ciders, and paid attention to how many samples. I had enough for a 12 oz cider (1 drink). Then we went to a local Italian place for dinner and I had 1 glass of wine. My only regret was have another glass of wine when we got home. I should have brewed a cup of tea. That was 3 drinks for me.
  • tamera_g
    tamera_g Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Good job holding yourself accountable.
  • lili200
    lili200 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Good job!
    I know you read this on a website but every person is different . Drinking too much alcohol is unhealthy and adds calories but i thing the limit should be personal and realistic.
    WTG for celebrating life
  • sgtx81
    sgtx81 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I've done my fair share of partying when I was younger. I've smoked cigarettes, pot, I've drunk plenty of alcohol, and dabbled in other things.

From my own experience, if you have a problem with something, it's like it is tied to the other end of a bungee cord that is wrapped around you. You can send it away, by heavily reducing intake but, in time, that bungee cord will always snap back, and you can find yourself right back where you started, or even worse off.

Again, speaking from my own experience, the only way to keep long-term control over it is to cut the bungee cord and leave it behind you. I haven't smoked cigarettes in just over 6 years, haven't smoked pot in about 4 years, and no alcohol in 2 years. All the other dabbling ended closer to a decade ago.

Naturally, everyone is different, and you may not have an issue as I did. Best of luck in achieving your goals.
  • Journey4Jen
    Options
    Thursday - Celebrated some much need rain with a big pot of spaghetti and 2 glasses of wine
    Friday - Ended up out for a little TGIF and had 2 glasses of wine, and then 2 more as the night went on
    Saturday- Was a night out in SF. Did some wine tasting at the Ritz (I felt like a princess) and then went to an amazing dinner with more wine. (So I didn’t even try to keep a count) it was a long day so we will say 6.
    Sunday - I had 2 glasses of wine.

So total count for the week: 20. - Not even close to my goal, but I have hope that next week will be better as I explore what my bungee cord might be. Thank you for all the support.

Week 2 day 8 - Monday - I had a cabi show last night and had a glass of wine with my hostess when we were done - 1 glass

• llbrixon
    llbrixon Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Accountability! Yes it will keep you honest.I am book marking this to keep me accountable.
  • llbrixon
    Options
    I did well today. One day at a time.
  • ekim2016
    ekim2016 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I quite drinking after many years of drinking on March 1 2016. Not a drink since and surprised I don't even miss it. Just substituted with water and a soda water with lemon when I get home from work.. Been logging on here daily non stop since May 17 2016...
  • llbrixon
    Options
    I did very well today. I over did it yesterday with Chinese food order out. And, going to Hwy 55 for a small burger and onion rings. Lots of salt! So glad I got some walking in yesterday.
  • sierrawesome439
    sierrawesome439 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I’m younger with kids but I feel like drinking is preventing me from making progress. Props to you for putting it out there!