Ovarian cysts cause false pos. Pregnancy test?

Options
On Thursday I went to the dr to trrat a uti and urine test showed I was pregnant so they took a blood test and it also shows I'm pregnant... Im just having a hard time wrapping my head around that because ive always had irregular periods due to pcos. I started bc to regulate them but off it my period would stop unless I lost weight.... Last January I started losing weight and March was the last time I took my bc bevause my insurance wanted me to change to mail order bc and I just said screw it I'm gonna see if my period comes back with mr losing weight... But it never did and I havnt had a period since March.... But I just dont think it actually possible I can be pregnant. Could I just have bad cysts causing false positives?!

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Apparently there's no such thing as a false positive. Urine and blood is pretty definitive. Congratulations!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,121 Member
    Options
    I've had many ovarian cysts ... I've had them ever since I was 17 years old, that I know of. None of them has ever triggered any indication that I was pregnant.

If a urine and blood test indicate that you're pregnant ... you are! Congrats!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    On Thursday I went to the dr to trrat a uti and urine test showed I was pregnant so they took a blood test and it also shows I'm pregnant... Im just having a hard time wrapping my head around that because ive always had irregular periods due to pcos. I started bc to regulate them but off it my period would stop unless I lost weight.... Last January I started losing weight and March was the last time I took my bc bevause my insurance wanted me to change to mail order bc and I just said screw it I'm gonna see if my period comes back with mr losing weight... But it never did and I havnt had a period since March.... But I just dont think it actually possible I can be pregnant. Could I just have bad cysts causing false positives?!

Have you has sex since March?
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Some rare tumours can give a false positive test and even grow within your uterus.

Most likely is that you are pregnant though.

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Are you scheduled for an ultra sound?
  • MinuitMinuet
    MinuitMinuet Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I didn't have a period for almost three years AND I was on the depo shot. Have a beautiful 15 (almost 16) year old girl laying on me right now cause she had a nightmare last night.

You are probably pregnant but just in case it is a tumor, schedule an ultra sound. That will tell you for sure. If you are, I bet it will be gorgeous just from looking at your pic.
  • lili200
    lili200 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Did the doctor sent you to US?
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Tests look for HCG in the urine or blood. Ovarian cysts don't release HCG. I'd say chances are good you're pregnant!
  • tifsimmons91
    tifsimmons91 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I'm scheduled for an ultrasound the 30th... The blood work indicates I'm 4-6 weeks but the dr thinks it could be possible I could be up to 6 months from what I told her about my period... I really hope im not that far along,my god! There literally have been no signs until the past month when I got this uti.... I'm still kinda in denial and petrified could be ovarian cancer but can that be so I'm only 26?!
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    If your doctor is unsure of how many weeks pregnant you are (although your levels of beta hCG should give a good guide) due to your irregular periods they should certainly send you for an ultrasound to identify how far along you are.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    lizery wrote: »
    If your doctor is unsure of how many weeks pregnant you are (although your levels of beta hCG should give a good guide) due to your irregular periods they should certainly send you for an ultrasound to identify how far along you are.

they are doing, OP does next week....
  • tifsimmons91
    Options

I'm scheduled for an ultrasound the 30th. Blood work levels show I'm 4-6 weeks but dr thinks could be farthrr along up to 6 months from what I told them about my period. They wanted me to get us this week but I cannot miss work and I'm busy so the 30th was compromise
  • TavistockToad
    Options

I'm scheduled for an ultrasound the 30th. Blood work levels show I'm 4-6 weeks but dr thinks could be farthrr along up to 6 months from what I told them about my period. They wanted me to get us this week but I cannot miss work and I'm busy so the 30th was compromise

and if you're already 6 months gone, then another week wont make any difference :laugh:
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options

A simple physical exam can determine whether you're 4-6 weeks vs 6 months.
  • tifsimmons91
    Options

You're petrified it could be cancer yet you compromised.on the 30th.....hmmmmm. pretty sure work would allow time.out for cancer testing.

My job works on a point system we do not get Dr note excuses we have to take a point and I do not have the points to spear unless I wanna get fired.... That's what I get for abusing the point system but good news is I drop 2 points in november
  • tifsimmons91
    Options

and if you're already 6 months gone, then another week wont make any difference :laugh:

What I was thinking! Lol I just really need to stop googling symptoms. Everything always leads to cancer.... Last winter i had terrible chest cold i was convinced i could have lung cancer