Polar FT60

Options
tameko2
tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
are the extra features on the polar FT60 worth it? I'm thinking specifically like the VO2 test and a few other things - I don't need the strength training.

Replies

• wyants
    wyants Posts: 18
    Options
    I was thinking about getting a HRM. I dont know anything about them. Can you help?
  • is4031
    is4031 Posts: 71
    Options
    I really like my Polar FT7 and it seems to suit me well. If you are looking for something more geared towards training one of the higher end models would probably be worth it, but the FT7 can provide most of what the average person would want.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my FT60. The sole reason I got it vs. the FT40 was because of the footpod/GPS compatibility. I bought and used the footpad a lot, I used it for C25K, and lots of 5K and 10K training. Then earlier this year, I bought a Garmin for half marathon training and I love it.

If you don't want to use it for the distance/speed features (you need to pay ~$100 for the footpod or GPS) then I don't see any reason to get the FT60. It's a great HRM and I still use it for all my indoor workouts/anything that doesn't involve distance and I've yet to have any problems with it. I have had to replace the chest strap and watch batteries 1x each, but I've had it since January 2010 and work out quite a bit!
  • DanceYogaRun
    DanceYogaRun Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I have the ft60 and i love it. I think the VO2max estimate and fitness test really do help with accuracy. You can also manually set your max HR; it uses the age formula if you don't.

After over a month of using it, i still go in zone 3 too much for the weightloss star program, but it has been helpful in getting me to spend more time in the lower zones and burning more fat.

Hth!
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about getting a HRM. I dont know anything about them. Can you help?

Yeah - what you should get depends on what you need I think, but the important thing is that for most people a chest strap is much more accurate. Most people get good results from the polar FT4 or FT7 it seems, but the FT60 has a VO2 max test that will make your calorie burn calculations more accurate -- but the FT60 is double the price of those other ones, its 150 vs about 65.

Also -- does anyone know what some good older models are that might be even cheaper?
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar F11, which, I have read, is the the older version of the FT60. It is my understanding that, using your resting heart rate, and the calculated V02 reading, that your range of exercise is more accurate than other methods. You can also set your own BPM ranges for light, medium and high exercise. One of the features I like is an almost inaudible (to others) beep lets you know when you are in one of the ranges. It beeps for 30 seconds or so. Then, if you drop out of a range, it also beeps. Helps me pick it up or slow down it I need to. I actually got up to 95% of my maximum heart rate which I don’t think is good at my age and level of fitness, so I slowed down.

I use my Droid with RunKeeper for distance and MPH, free if you have a smart phone.