Night time binges

Options
Does anyone have tips on how to control night time binges? I eat normal all day long, eat plenty of protein and fiber to keep me full, but it never fails on the nights that my husband works I binge. He goes in around 7 pm 4-5 nights a week and while I'm not hungry prior to him leaving, once he's gone I'll try to keep myself busy, but I always get hungry and I ALWAYS binge, I'm not talking small ones either, I can put away a ton between the time he leaves and and bedtime Any tips would be great, I've tried chewing gum and brushing my teeth, and nothing quite works. Thanks :)

Replies

• OnMyWay2STay
    OnMyWay2STay Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Sounds like boredom/loneliness eating. I'd switch up my schedule if I were you. Could you work out while he's away? If you have kids, maybe figure out something active to do with them. Otherwise, get an exercise buddy and most importantly get out of your house (away from your fridge!)

Good luck! I have struggled with this myself. The good part about your schedule is that it sounds predictable.
  • kje2011
    kje2011 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    bump
    so guilty of this too!!!!!
    I will then go outside, or have a shower and go to bed with a good book or tv program. No food allowed in the bedroom.
    sometimes this works, sometimes not.
  • MissB0949
    MissB0949 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Try to save some calories for the evening. You can eat a huge serving of popcorn with some I can't believe its not butter spray for less than 200 calories. Try to find ways to occupy your time that are not conducive to snacking. Good luck :)
  • luvamig
    luvamig Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Make popcorn (From the large plastic bag, not the pre packaged microwave kind) I add some "kettle seasoning" to it, which says there aren't any calories in it.

It's fun to make it the old fashioned way, which will take up some time, and it can be fun to experiment with different types of seasonings.
  • pp67
    pp67 Posts: 26
    Options
    Can you change your eating times to later? ie... breakfast in late morning instead of early morning, and so on. This may help.
  • naeswirl
    naeswirl Posts: 56
    Options
    Night time is the bewitching hour for me to want to eat everything in sight! I started making smoothies: Vanilla yogurt, fruit, ice & splenda. I think it's under 50 cal (the yogurt has the bulk of the calories).

Blend it in a Bullet (or equivalent) and call it an evening. The thickness and the "sweetness" so far has been satisfied my cravings at night.

Good luck!
  • tracylee679
    tracylee679 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue because my hubby works night shift as well. It took me a long time to realize the connection between my binges and him being gone. :sad: So now I save some calories for evening and have a nice cup of hot tea when it gets really bad. Anything hot seems to kill my apetite! Nice to know that there are others in the same situation. Good luck to you!:flowerforyou:
  • Gerald_King
    Gerald_King Posts: 2,031 Member
    Options
    Try oatmeal that will keep you fuller for longer
  • Samtastico
    Options
    Thanks for all of your replies! I'm definitely going to start reserving some extra calories for the evening when he is working and will try some of the snacks you guys recommended :)
  • Kiongozi
    Options
    The tips I use to stop myself from binging include chewing gum when I feel the urge to over-eat (I know you mentioned that this doesn't really help you, but I like the Extra Dessert Delights - they taste like dessert but lack the calories), do something physical to distract myself, and make sure I'm not hungry before I get ready for bed at night. I also drink a lot of tea to fill me up and keep me hydrated :)
  • zukekitty
    zukekitty Posts: 185
    Options
    Sometimes I will just go to bed early and sleep through the binge urges.