Miracle noodles

Options
Has anyone had miracle noodles? I have a bag but I've very very hesitant to try it it's a weird texture and smells. Does it taste like pasta or at least taste good?ai9x1ezv5ysx.jpg

Replies

• krael65
    krael65 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I tried them once. I found them to be tough in texture, fishy smelling, and not pleasant tasting at all. It did not taste in the least like pasta. I will never try them again.
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    They're fine if rinsed thoroughly to get rid of the weird smell. Treat them more like oriental noodles then pasta. If you expect pasta you'll be disappointed.
  • lwr731
    lwr731 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have used these, although the brand was not the same. I think they are a pretty good substitute for pasta, but there are some differences. It is important to drain and thoroughly rinse the noodles. The texture is a little elastic--like a rubber band--but the trade-off was worth it to me.
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I've not tried that brand, but I've tried them in general. Love me some konjac/tofu&konjac noodles.

Rinse them verrrrryyyy well. Unless you dry them out in the oven before use, it is a bit watery to use for pasta. It is phenomenal as a stir fry noodle, though. Peanut stir fry for SUPER low calories? Glorious.
  • lramirez2000
    lramirez2000 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've tried them- although I prefer the texture of the oat bran-konjac noodle. I rinse them very well to get rid of the fishy odor and then dry them out a bit in a frying pan on the stove before adding sauce.
  • prettypanda1313
    prettypanda1313 Posts: 5 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I didn’t like them. I’ve tried cooking it as a spaghetti or stir fry noodles and still didn’t like the taste even after rinsing them thoroughly. It’s really more the texture that throws me off. A better alternative is vegetable noodles (zucchini, squash, sweet potato, etc) using a spiralizer. You could always buy some premade ones at the grocery store as well. Veggie Noodle Co makes different spiral noodles that are sold at Target or Sprouts.
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    I rinsed them off for 10 minutes and I just can't get past the fishy smell. I was going to use it for spaghetti
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,986 Member
    Options
    They are fine if you prepare them as instructed but they are not a sub for wheat noodles. Best as a sub for rice noodles. Also they do have cals, just not enough to require them to be listed in the nutritional stats.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I prefer the oat bran kind as well.

They need to be rinsed very well and then dry fried. Dry frying is the step which will remove the smell.

I don't think they make a good spaghetti sub. IMO, they're best in Asian dishes like stir fries.
  • bernadettenz
    bernadettenz Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I have had konjac noodles in ready made pho. I like them. Chewier than normal rice noodles.
  • Aint2Proud2Meg
    Aint2Proud2Meg Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I used to get them, but I prefer zucchini noodles to the shirataki on cost, texture, and taste.
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    They are fine if you prepare them as instructed but they are not a sub for wheat noodles. Best as a sub for rice noodles. Also they do have cals, just not enough to require them to be listed in the nutritional stats.

The preparation said to rinse them for 10-15 seconds under cold water. I did so, and the smell was still overwhelming.
  • rickiimarieee
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I might get a lot of comments and "woos" from this but I opened the package and I just couldn't get past the texture and smell. I just threw them away. They remind me of like maggots. nfyqh3cp8nn6.jpg
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    I used to get them, but I prefer zucchini noodles to the shirataki on cost, texture, and taste.

I tried zucchini noodles as well I don't have a spiralizer which I should get one before I give them a review but I cut them up by hand and they were very soggy and very liquidity even after I put them in a frying pan.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I've tried to like these. I just can't.

• cryonic_273
    cryonic_273 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    We have a brand in the Uk called bare naked noodles that are konjac based noodles - they dont taste or smell of much at all. We use them all the time as a subsititute for noodles in stir fry.

Theres also a rice version - also doenst taste of much at all.
    They are good for bulking out a meal but they dont taste the same or have quite the same consistency as the real thing.