Any thoughts on those memory foam/tempur pedic beds?

Options
hill2302
hill2302 Posts: 139 Member
I'm definitely going to retire my only mattress. (16 years :noway: I guess is old enough) Anyway, thinking of one fo these memorey foam beds.

Cocerns are 1) durability- I've heard some talk about them losing their firmness and end up just being holes for you to sleep in.

and

2) Heat retention- some say they sleep very hot, menaing they retain alot of body heat. I'm warm natured and get hot as it is.

Do you have one and how do you like it?

Replies

• cheshirechic
    cheshirechic Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I have a tempurpedic and I absolutely love it. I'm also a "hot" sleeper, and I used to toss and turn, but now I wake up in the same position that I fall asleep. Fiance loves it, too. We don't find the heat retention a deterrent.

Hope this helps!
  • zornig
    zornig Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE mine! It cost me a fortune, and as I was paying for it I just kept thinking "why am I spending all of this money on a mattress?? Am I crazy?" But after one week, I couldn't imagine sleeping on anything else.

If you run hot in your sleep, or live someplace warm, or don't have air conditioning, you might experience the heat retention. I used to wake up in the middle of the night a lot, but then I bought a Cool-Max topper from Bed Bath and Beyond (they have 20% coupons all the time, so the topper wasn't so expensive). This has not only resolved all of my temperature regulation issues, but also makes the bed feel that much more luxurious.

Memory foam does not wear out in the same way that coil spring mattresses do. My mother has had hers for almost 10 years, and it's as firm as the day she bought it. I've had mine for 2 years and can say the same. Just make sure to buy a good quality one, from a reputable firm.
  • leftymac
    leftymac Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    A true Tempur-pedic (not any old memory foam) will not lose its firmness, and it has a 20 year warranty in the rare case it ever should.

Sleeping on one is like sleeping in heaven for me. i absolutely love it. I thought it would get hot, but it doesn't at all.

Of course, everyone is different so you'll just have to try it out in the store!
  • authson
    authson Posts: 233
    Options
    Don't know anything about memory but I would highly recommend an sleep number bed.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    We love ours. Have had it for 2+ years or so. I was really tempted to try one of the cheaper non-Tempurpedic ones, which look like they're exactly the same, but my issue was that those lesser known brands don't seem to be in showrooms, hence you can't try them out. We splurged for the genuine article and love it. I also have a Tempurpedic pillow. It's awesome.

We live in Seattle so it never gets that hot here. Heat retention hasn't been an issue. What's kind of interesting is that when it gets very cold (after, say, being away on vacation in the winter and the heat is off in the house), it gets super hard. That is sort of awkward, but it's a pretty rare occurrence.

They have a lifetime warranty, so if it did end up losing firmness and leaving a hole, I would complain to the manufacturer. But it's held up good as new so far.

Edit: Correction - 20 year warranty, not lifetime. Thanks to the poster above for mentioning it.
  • crazymama2two
    Options
    best investment made in THIS house!
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,592 Member
    Options
    Bumping to keep in my queue. We've been thinking about getting one as well. We surely hear more good than bad about them. Great topic!
  • Sgriffin2382
    Sgriffin2382 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    We have a pillow top and love it!
  • Izable2011
    Izable2011 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    I don't own one but I have tested them out quite a bit and they feel so nice. It's like you melt right into them. My husband and I are saving up for one now!!!
  • missfittin_missy
    missfittin_missy Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Best investment I ever made... have slept soooooooooo much better and no longer wake up achy!
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,117 Member
    Options
    I've had mine for about 5 years and hate sleeping on a regular mattress, when not at home. I recommend the pillow too. Now that I think of it i haven't even turned it over and it still looks and feels like the first day :):heart: it.

Btw, I bought a firmer type because I don't like sinking into it. My friend, who has the softer type, complained of getting hot. Don't know if that has anything to do with it.
  • TiffMax
    TiffMax Posts: 70
    Options
    The pillow tops wear very quickly and then you have a lumpy bed- if you get one invest all the way. Personally i have a biomat on my mattress- great for healthy living, its 8 hours of therapy every night and i only had to pay for it once.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    We have a true tempur-pedic and LOVE it! Definately worth it's cost. It is the most comfy thing I've ever slept on. I haven't noticed the heat thing but then I always have to have our room as cold as possible even in the winter....
  • everbound
    Options
    I'm looking into one that is a mix of memory foam and gel that is out on the market. apparently it helps even out the heat retention which is good because I'm also a hot sleeper.
  • kjpollard
    Options
    LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE it. Had a sleep # and HATED it. I never did find the right number. DH wanted it very firm, me, not so much. Finally gave in and bought a tempurpedic. I'm a total bed snob now. I rest better, sleep deeper, don't wake up achy (unless I way over did the exercise the day before...I used to wake up w/ achy joints everywhere). DH is super hot natured, I am not. We are both comfortable. We've had it 6 months. Best investment we ever got. We have the Cloud.

Also...get the pillows. makes a huge difference.

HTH
  • JenBrown0210
    JenBrown0210 Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I can't talk about the memory foam ones. We were going to get one but they are so expesive. My husband ad I bought a Vera Wang latex memory foam one. Not quite the same as the tempur pedic. We have had ours for over 2 years and it is not mis-shapped and there are not any body imprints. I LOVE it!

Pros
    1. Does not get hot.
    2. Not to firm or soft. I like a firm mattress he likes a soft mattress
    3. Sheets fit it correctly

Cons
    1. The mattress is so damn COMFORTABLE I do no want to get out of bed! Lol