When you don't exercise

Options
On days that you don't exercise or rest days do you find it difficult to stick to your calorie goals? I am okay when I earn exercise calories and can eat them back, but on days that I don't exercise I feel like I'm starving on only 1200 calories to the point that I'm tired and grumpy. Does anyone else deal with this and do you have any tips that you can share on getting through days that you can't get exercise in?

Replies

• Pink_turnip
    Pink_turnip Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    maybe you don't have your minimum set properly for your activity level
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    This definitely gets me too. I am just too exhausted to run on 1200 calories a day so I upped it to 1500 and haven't gained anything.
  • 1smemae94
    1smemae94 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    It's okay to go alittle over 1200 calories. If you eat less you won't lose any weight because you're starving your body. If you're in danger of going too much over just fill up on veggies. It's low calorie and filling.
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Some days I do, some I don't. I also may go for a leisurely walk on my day off, then I have some wiggle room.
  • ambermichon
    ambermichon Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I find on days I must keep my cals to 1200 high lean protein is best for me.....protein shakes, veggies, chicken, a sweet potato. When I eat like this consistently I dont get hungry.
  • JJHudgens
    JJHudgens Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    If I don't exercise, I usually go over my allotted 1410 calories. Ugh...so I appreciate getting those extras on the days I work out. And I also notice the days I work out, I feel so much better. I feel blah and unproductive on non-workout days. I really should consider going back to daily exercise! ;)
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    Bear in mind your 1200 INCLUDES a 500 calorie deficit (based on a 1lb/week loss). So with that in mind, you can have up to 1700 calories before you'll be "gaining" per se.
  • bell33usx2
    bell33usx2 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I notice the same thing but I try to watch calorie intake closely that day. I always take the day before my weigh in day off. I find the scales work in my favor better if I do that. Ummmm.....If I watch my calories that is!:wink:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I eat the same on days I don't exercise. I go over on calories, but it evens out over time. As long as the non-exercise days aren't often.
  • Cbandelier
    Cbandelier Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    For a couple months it was fine. When I noticed that I was starting to be hungry and irritable all the time I increased my calories (to 0.5 lb/week loss) and continued to lose without a problem.

Also, remember that if you are set to lose 1-2 pounds/week, you can go over by a few hundred when you need to and you will still be at a deficit and should still lose.
  • merebear
    merebear Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    everyone has their own opinions and you must do what works for you. But I'll tell you what the doctor told me at the Center for Medical Weight Loss I use.....she said that you should stick to those calories whether you workout or not. There isn't really any such thing as "starvation mode" unless you were actually starving yourself of nutrients long-term. She actually knowcked me down to 1000 a day for a short period of time. Of course I go over my 1200 sometimes, I'm not perfect, but I always keep my doctor's advice in my head and at least try to aim for that each day.

But do what works for YOU....:)
  • FitForLife81
    FitForLife81 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Yup when I dont work out I feel the same way I find it hard to stick to 1300 calories. When I do workout I dont come close to my goal of calories. I found that I lost more weight when I wasnt working out and it is probably because when I do workout I dont eat enough!