Keto Diet Beginner

Options
I recently started my Keto Diet. And by recent, I mean just two weeks. I technically took out all the grains and flour, starch and sugar in my diet. Avoided fruits with high fructose as well and basically fed on beef, cheese, eggs, nuts and green leafy veggies plus lots and lots of water. I think I'm way past the Keto Flu that they say I would feel coz the nausea, dizziness and headache slowly went away. I rarely feel hungry as well and overall, I feel good!

Now, just this morning as I was indulging myself with eggs, bratwurst (can I eat this even) and cheese, I realized that it tasted sweet. Actually, everything tasted sweet. So I was worried I might be taking in unwanted sugar. I asked a friend to taste it and she told me, it was not sweet at all. It tasted normal, in fact, salty. Then why does it taste sweet to me?

Can anyone here let me know if you've experienced the same thing or if this is normal? I just find it weird and I don't think I can finish the food.

Thanks in advance!

Sum

Replies

• camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Hi, low carb eating does change your taste buds a bit, I think. Sweet things taste way sweeter to me now, been doing this 4 years. It will take your body a while to adjust, so give it a bit more time. Keep calm and keto on... :)
    ps. there is a low carb group you might want to join here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/discussions/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • hesterific
    hesterific Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    sumlucero wrote: »
    I recently started my Keto Diet. And by recent, I mean just two weeks. I technically took out all the grains and flour, starch and sugar in my diet. Avoided fruits with high fructose as well and basically fed on beef, cheese, eggs, nuts and green leafy veggies plus lots and lots of water. I think I'm way past the Keto Flu that they say I would feel coz the nausea, dizziness and headache slowly went away. I rarely feel hungry as well and overall, I feel good!

Now, just this morning as I was indulging myself with eggs, bratwurst (can I eat this even) and cheese, I realized that it tasted sweet. Actually, everything tasted sweet. So I was worried I might be taking in unwanted sugar. I asked a friend to taste it and she told me, it was not sweet at all. It tasted normal, in fact, salty. Then why does it taste sweet to me?

Can anyone here let me know if you've experienced the same thing or if this is normal? I just find it weird and I don't think I can finish the food.

Thanks in advance!

Sum

Brats usually have dextrose in them and will spike your blood glucose. I miss them but I have found a great sugar free sausage locally!
  • sumlucero
    sumlucero Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I ended up not eating the bratwurst after the first bite. Just went back to my spinach and cream cheese instead. And yes, the sweet taste went away eventually. Now I don't experience it anymore.

Thanks for the advise and replies. :) Hoping to get more inspiration about Keto. My periods coming soon and I'm having a huge cravings for sugary goodness of pastries and choco. I'm fighting this as much as I can and been able to stay away from anything sweet and stick to Keto for the 3rd day today. Lol. The struggle is real, man! :wink: