Training for half marathon

Options
Any tips and advice on this please been running a while now but want to start achieving a few goals thanks.

Replies

• WhalenJR
    WhalenJR Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Is this your first half. I am on week 2 of 20 getting ready for my first one. The best advice I have received so far is find a plan that works with your lifestyle. I run 3 days a week with long runs on Saturday. A plan that runs 4 days a week would be too demanding on my time and I would be less likely to complete it.
  • gresham_p
    gresham_p Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yh this will be my first half marathon and I train 5-6 days a week upping my miles each week so getting there I wanna do a half marathon then train for the full marathon they are my goals and I will get them done lol just gonna keep pushing myself had really tough year so far and the running helps me get through the bad times I wish u all the best it is hard at the start then it gets easier.
  • WhalenJR
    WhalenJR Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. I like how I feel so much better after a run. Get the good endorphin rush. Also it is hard to think about much else as you are cruising along. It is my escape for some me time. When is the half you are planning for. I am going to be doing one in March in DC. Afterward I am planning for a sprint triathlon this summer before going for the full marathon. If that goes well then looking at an iron man.
  • gresham_p
    Options
    Half marathon in February so looking forward to that and gonna do a few 5k runs in the mean time and just enjoy it all I hope it all goes well for you.
  • exodus1811
    exodus1811 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I just ran my first half marathon (certified event) in a time of 1hr 55min 03sec. Average pace of 5:27 per/km.

I started my training 16 weeks out. Training ended up being 6 days a week, one rest day that involved just hitting 10k steps for the day (keep the blood moving).

So 6 days a week was actually 5 strength sessions and 5 running sessions. Like a previous poster, Saturday was long run day for me (no strength training). Training involved short runs (30-40 mins), interval and/or fartlek (20-35 mins) and long runs (60-130 mins).

As per a previous comment though - you do you. It’s about what works for you.

My advice, expect to get sick, expect to get injured. For no other reason than your training for a goal :). At 11/12 weeks I copped a bulging disc (L5), a week later, the flu. It happens, the trick is to not let it beat you. Always get your injuries properly checked out and track your distances - your shoes are good for about 700kms, after that the foam starts to fail, chances are your shoes will hit that mark some time during training.

Good luck!
  • gresham_p
    Options
    Thanks for the advice and it will help me reach my goals all the best to you as well.