How do I do squats for physically impaired?

Hello. I'm physically impaired after a hemorrhagic stroke left me with inferior balance. I'd like to do squats to build lower body strength. However, I become very unstable even when using light weights. Does anyone have a recommendation for a person in my condition?

Replies

• pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Hip belt squats keeps your hands free,so you can hold onto something while you squat.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    You should probably seek a referral to an occupational therapist/physical therapist to help you with this...
  • LJGettinSexy
    LJGettinSexy Posts: 223 Member
    edited October 2017
    mitch16 wrote: »
    You should probably seek a referral to an occupational therapist/physical therapist to help you with this...

This or consult your primary care doctor
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Have you ever used a Smith Machine for Squats?
  • cat_lady77
    cat_lady77 Posts: 203 Member
    I know it's not exactly the same, but a leg press might be a good place to start! Or Smith machine with someone spotting you perhaps? Also, you could try glute bridges & add weights.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Wall sits

wall-sit.jpg

• maryannprt
    maryannprt Posts: 152 Member
    You don't need to start with a full squat. Can you go down 50% and control it? How about 25%? Don't use weight until you are able to do a full squat with excellent control. Your body provides plenty of resistance. Status post stroke, you may or may not ever regain perfect balance. Work with what you have. Do you have a physical therapist? It might be worthwhile seeing one to help you develop an exercise program that will work with your current limitations.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Squat onto a box using just body weight. Put a box behind you that is about as high as your knees. Sit back into your heels until your butt just taps the box. Squeeze your core and stand back into starting position. Repeat.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    I found these techniques helpful with mobility, but my issues might have been different than yours. You should probably consult a PT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvGr7wXQfwE
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Leg press is the right answer. Squats are dangerous even without anything making them more difficult. If you do want to do a free-weight squat, the only thing I would consider would be trap bar squats, which should be much easier to balance and lower risk. Sticking to leg press would be just fine though.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    mitch16 wrote: »

This or consult your primary care doctor

Or hire a starting strength coach that deals with this situation. Many of them are doctors and can give you better info than a physical therapist or your current doctor.