HELP PLEASE I'm joining the military

Options
I need to drop about 60lbs. And get my run time Down.

Currently I'm running a 1.5 mile in about 15 17 mins and I need that down to 12 or lower. Looking for tips on how not to get winded and make a better time.

As far as the weight I'm mainly trying to drop weight and inches from my waist. I got about 60 more pounds to go. Wanyed to know if anyone has good tips for me. Or maybe what foods to eat and or stay away from.

Thanks for your time o:)

Replies

• Mrsjones172
    Mrsjones172 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Dropping weight is all about the calorie deficit. Make sure you have a 500cal deficit from your TDEE and the weight should fall off. As for running, practice makes perfect but take it easy, warm up properly, cool down and stretch. It takes time and dedication. You'll get there.

I couldn't even run for 10 mins the. After about 6 months training 1-2 times a week I was running 6.2 miles in just under an hour. Not military standard but more than I could ever have imagined!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Find a runner's training plan. While running a fast mile is about speed you need to sustain that speed and a plan will include emphasis with building stamina and speed.

To lose the weight, you need a moderate calorie deficit, eat enough to lose the weight but also handle your training needs. Buy a food scale, log your food daily. No need to stay away from certain foods, the idea is just eat less of those. The use of the tools will give you results if stay consistent with your efforts.

I recommend reading the stickies at the beginning of the forums.

• Sunnybrooke99
    Sunnybrooke99 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Be sure to log calories so that you can learn which foods are a good deal for you, and which are too high calorie for your eating style, bc you will be offered a lot of high calorie foods in the military (many ppl need to gain) and might eat more than ever before. Plenty of people in the military struggle to lose weight, and are shamed for not passing the regular weigh ins (they will tape test you, if you fail weight, bc it can be that your BMI is still acceptable). I am 4’11” ab 100 lbs, and I ate like a grown man when I was in the army. I was never overweight, but I’ve also never eaten like that before, or since.
  • Skitso253
    Skitso253 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Have you talked to a recruiter. Many recruiters have informal training groups that meet a couple times a week for motivation etc.

Additionally, If you haven't yet talked to the recruiter, you won't know positively whether or not you're otherwise qualified once you make your target weight/speed.

Finally, those stats don't make sense. None of the services requires a 12 minute 1.5 mile run for acceptance. [/quote]

The navy is a 12 min 1.5 mile run that's what I was leaning to. And yes I have talked to a few recruiters for 3 different branches. We have gone over plans and other stuff. But I wanted faster ways.
  • Skitso253
    Skitso253 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the feed back I'm going to do more research for the ideas you have given
  • Aint2Proud2Meg
    Aint2Proud2Meg Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Even when I enlisted back in the days of yore (2005) there was a training program on the website for whichever branch you're joining. Even starting from sedentary. That's a great starting point if that's still around!
  • jasummers76
    jasummers76 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Take your time and do this right, they are always hiring..
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Whatever you end up doing, pay attention to the warmup/cooldown/stretch advice. You can build your fitness but nothing is worse than being waylaid by a strained foot tendon or something dumb that could have been avoided.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Rob O'Neil's book talks a bit about how he trained for the SEAL team before he got in.. IIRC he ran every day and would push himself further and further for 6 months while everyone else sat around and said nah I have time to do that later. The earlier you start all this the better. Tweet him for advice - @mchooyah
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    No advice really - but good for you for working on the running now. My son is in another branch and I am in a Mom's group on FB - it is shocking how many do absolutely nothing to prepare for the PT requirements before basic training and get injured or fail them. Running is the main cause of the injuries because they run run run run run - a lot - I assume other branches are similar. Be sure to look at all the PT requirements and make sure you can do them all before you head out to training. Best of luck!
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I would follow a training plan for a 5K and keep moving up until you are training for a half marathon. The training will do you good and benefit you on weight loss.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    The navy is a 12 min 1.5 mile run that's what I was leaning to. And yes I have talked to a few recruiters for 3 different branches. We have gone over plans and other stuff. But I wanted faster ways.

I do hope your future time in the navy will teach you that faster is not necessarily better. If you try and hit the end goal faster than anyone else, you risk injury and much longer delays. Runners get faster slowly, by gradually running farther at a reasonable pace. As you build lung capacity, you are better prepared for the shorter runs.

A chief objective is to prevent injury. An injured navy man is a liability to the entire team.

https://www.runnersworld.com/the-starting-line/run-faster