How about this strategy...

Options
I have been consistently losing around 1.8 to 2 pounds per week for the last 60 days. I am happy with the progress and I don't feel like I'm starving myself in fact some days I cannot eat the full 1660 that's alloted to me..

However I have plans to be out of town the middle of November for a couple of weeks and it's going to be very difficult for me to continue on this plan.

I was thinking about going low carb for the next few weeks 3 weeks possibly four... I think that would be easier for me to do.. but my question is what would be the harm if after doing low carb for three or four weeks that I went back to eating a regular diet?

Just wondering if there would be some weight gain effects once I introduced carb into my diet again.

Thank you for your advice. I have another 20 to 30 lbs to go...

Replies

• Vladaar
    Vladaar Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I think I would stay with what is working for you. I mean if you don't want to do that anymore then sure look at low carb it works. However, if you come off low carb, I have noticed that there is often a tendency to gorge on carbs. At least that is what happened to me way back when I did Atkins, lost 40 pounds and then gained it back and then some.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    If anything, it seems like going low-carb for a short trip would be way more difficult than just doing what you're currently doing.

It'll make it harder to eat at restaurants, you'll need to avoid fries, rice, breads, sugar, etc.

And if you dip low enough to enter ketosis, you'll probably have keto flu for a week while your body adjusts. This includes headaches and flu symptoms. You'll need to pay careful attention to your electrolye intake during this period.

Seems like a bad idea.

Why can't you just continue eating how you are currently eating?
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    Going low carb is going to do nothing besides make you lose some water weight (presuming you stay with the same calories). Adding carbs back in would make you hold on to the water again.

With only 20lbs to lose, slowing your loss may be a good idea. Eating too little is not a good idea, despite you feeling ok doing it right now. Increasing your calories whilst you're away may make it easier for you to manage food choices to fit, and give you a diet break (which is healthy for your body!)

This sounds like an excellent time for a diet break. See https://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html/ for more info, OP.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I can't view your diary for ideas, but it all depends on what food you'll have available while you're out of town. Will you be eating homecooked meals, or eating out? I wouldn't make any drastic changes to your diet.

If eating out it may be easier since you can look up calories in MFP BEFORE you order. Swap fries for broccoli, lettuce wrap burgers. Taco bell and Jimmy Johns both have apps where you can order ahead of time and make healthy swaps.
  • hydechildcare
    hydechildcare Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Are you wanting to go low carb because you see yourself eating out a lot? Is it easier to make meal choices by going low carb? I find when I go out to eat I try to find item with low carb because then I can't blow my day in one sitting.
  • dwilliamca
    dwilliamca Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    When I was out of town I just estimated my food portions (hotel I stayed had food but no calories listed) and continued eating the kind of foods I always do. It is a little bit harder, but as long as you are logging you will have a good ballpark of where you are. Choose restaurants that post calories online or better yet in the MFP database and search ahead. I wish I had taken my scale with me as I ate in my room quite a bit and could have weighed there. I don't see that low carb will work if not logging as you can still eat a lot of calories on a low carb diet. I don't agree with diet breaks. It is how I lost my steam and ended up putting back on everything I had lost.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    What are you doing now that will be so difficult to do when you’re traveling? The absolute last thing I ever want to introduce into the stress and hassle of travel is a brand new type of diet. I’d be more worried about how my body would react/adjust to a new type of diet, low carb flu, tummy troubles, energy issues, etc. plus having to hunt all over to find whatever food you can eat. I spent four hours driving through rural MN (each way) and the only place to eat was either a 20 mile detour (each way) to McDonald’s or a gas station in the middle of nowhere. I guarantee the hotdogs at that joint weren’t paleo. Maybe you’re not headed to northern MN, but point being that the more restrictive your diet, the more difficult it will be to find food when you’re on the road.