Having some weird lack of energy problems. Any suggestions o

Options
Hello everyone!

This is my first post, but I've used this App on my phone and ipod for a long time, intermittently. I lost about 80lbs since my whole journey began.

One thing I felt a lot was the increase in energy I got after my long stints of working out.

I'm 24 now, in the best shape of my life, but I crash HARD after workouts, I no longer have that energy burst, just draining. Will this go away? I'm starting a self-designed month program I'm in day 2, but I'll get my 7 hours of sleep, wake up go to work, come back at 4, go exercise for an hour, recover, shower, then I'm out like a light. Wheres my energy going?

Any tips? Or is this just the natural mid day slump we get as we age, it never used to be this bad...?

How do i keep the energy up so i can go out at late afternoon and night?

bleck

THANKS!

Replies

• fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Pay attention at what you eat, add more vegetables to your diet.
  • lsand
    lsand Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    That sounds just like me, except I'm twice your age! I found that if I have food with lots of sugar it makes me want to sleep. Check your food diary and make sure you're getting the correct amounts of carbs, protein, sugar, etc..
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough carbs? Make sure you have a good ratio of good carbs (whole grains, veggies, fruit) and protein.
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    You've lost 80 lb and you're getting older... that's going to affect your metabolism. Most people, when faced with a plateau or a lack of energy, find it effective if they start paying attention to not just the calorie count, but also their ratio of macronutrients: carbs/fat/protein. And *when* you eat them makes a difference, too.

Carbs provide quick bursts of energy. Eat plenty of those right before a workout: and I do mean RIGHT before, like no more than 10 minutes. Immediately after your workout, eat or drink something with lots of protein. The rest of your day, try eating small meals & snacks often, and make them lower in carbs and higher in protein. Protein provides a steady, slow-burning energy that will sustain you for longer and prevent any crashing.

I have a carbohydrate-intolerant metabolism, so my doctor has me eating at least 50g of protein every 3 hrs to keep me going steadily with no spikes or crashes. You probably don't need *that* much! But eating more protein & eating more often is worth a try, right? Just find what works with your "new & improved" body! :-)
  • elimenohpe
    Options
    Track your caffeine & add a vitamin B complex. The one I take is a 2 tablet serving. I divide the dose and take one in the morning and one around lunch & feel like I have better absorption that way.