Diet help

Options
I need a diet where I’m losing 2lbs per week... my triglycerides lab was elevated so need something at will lower that... I am trying this calorie counter limiting myself to 1500 per day and I am walking 2.5 daily 1hr 30 in the morning and 1hr at night... any suggestions

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Put your goals and stats into MFP, choose 2 pounds a week as your goal. Consistently meet that calorie goal.

What is your starting weight? Generally two pounds a week is only safely possible for people with more weight to lose.
  • Aint2Proud2Meg
    Aint2Proud2Meg Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Have you input your data into mfp and set it to lose 2 pounds per week?
  • dbabii11
    dbabii11 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Yes they gave me more than 1500 calories I adjusted it for my preference because I am over weight

• janejellyroll
    Options
    dbabii11 wrote: »
    Yes they gave me more than 1500 calories I adjusted it for my preference because I am over weight

The goal already takes into account that you're overweight -- there is no need to reduce it more due to that fact.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Put your goals and stats into MFP, choose 2 pounds a week as your goal. Consistently meet that calorie goal.

What is your starting weight? Generally two pounds a week is only safely possible for people with more weight to lose.

This^

2 pounds a week isn't appropriate for everyone. But plug your stats into MFP and choose 2 pounds a week. If MFP gives you 1200 (that's the minimum).....then 2 pounds a week might be too aggressive.

Then just eat that many calories. Weight loss is all about calorie intake and MFP will tell you how much to eat based on your size and activity level.
  • Aint2Proud2Meg
    Aint2Proud2Meg Posts: 193 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Good for you for exercising. (I feel like I sound sarcastic when I say that, but I'm being sincere!) You're on the right track.
    As the above poster said, you can usually only safely lose 2 pounds a week if you have a lot to lose (I'm in that category, and it still isn't always that much) the best best best thing you can do is log everything you eat, and using a food scale for solids and accurate volume measure for liquids. Stay in your prescribed limit and be patient because the scale will go up and down and break your heart. Stick with it and you'll get there!
  • dbabii11
    Options

280 Am I doing something incorrectly because I feel hungry 30 mins later or so. For example I had 1 1/2 cup of Cheerios with 1 cup of 1% milk... basically I’m looking for a well balanced diet that keeps me under 1500 calories daily.

• dbabii11
    Options
    Ok so I should stay in the recommend calorie intake MFP gave me ... it honestly felt like torcher but I wasn’t giving up I just started Friday
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Hi OP, it might be difficult for you to feel satisfied on a calorie deficit of over 1000 a day! I strongly recommend you reassess that goal and go with what MFP recommends for you at a weight loss rate of 2lbs/week. If you lose weight too quickly, even if you are very overweight, you run the risk of not only losing lean muscle mass, but serious issues with your sleep, blood sugar, and organs. If you want this weight loss to be a healthy change for you, you must go slowly!

I think walking is an excellent place to start, exercise-wise, and that if possible, you should attempt to do fast-slow intervals (i.e. 2 minutes at 2mph and 2 minutes at 3mph instead of 4 minutes at 2.5mph, then repeat) or incline intervals (i.e. remain at 2.5mph but do 2 minutes at incline 2 and 2 minutes at incline 0, then repeat) and you can start increasing your intensity from there.
  • TeaBea
    Options

280 Am I doing something incorrectly because I feel hungry 30 mins later or so. For example I had 1 1/2 cup of Cheerios with 1 cup of 1% milk... basically I’m looking for a well balanced diet that keeps me under 1500 calories daily.

1.5 cups of Cheerios & 1% milk wouldn't take me very far either.

Protein, fiber & fat are satiating meal/snack components. But it's a different combination for everyone. 2% Greek yogurt is high protein, add a sprinkle of Fiber One cereal ....that should be longer lasting. Many people start off the day with eggs (protein & fat) and a piece of fruit.

Keep swapping out things you don't find all that filling. Soon you will get the hang of it. Meal/snack timing can help too.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

It doesn't mean you're necessarily doing something wrong, but it could mean that you need to tweak your food choices in order to feel fuller for longer.

I would be starving after a breakfast of 1 1/2 cups of Cheerios and 1 cup of 1% milk -- I need more protein and fat to start my day generally. But I could eat something with the same number of calories and feel fine. Now, not everyone is like me . . . but if you find yourself hungry after a certain meal, it's worth your time to pay attention to what it was and figure out what kind of changes you could possibly make.

Also, if you're eating less than MFP's calorie goal (which I think you said you were), you could be hungry because you just aren't eating enough.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You lose weight if you consistently take in the number of calories MFP suggests. That is all you need to do to lose weight. But to be able to do it consistently, you will most likely need a nutritious diet. A nutritious diet is a selection of food from all the food groups, providing you with an appropriate amount of calories, and in a balance that is appealing to you. Yes, I'm talking about real, ordinary food. You should eat food you like. You can eat anything you want, you can have treats as long as you stick to your calorie goal. But you need to eat the amount of calories MFP suggests for real, so you have to log everything, using correct entries, and weigh your food.
  • dbabii11
    Options
    Does anyone have an example what a day would look like for 2280 calories
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options

It could look like anything. Google "food" and adjust amounts.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Try replacing your cheerios with Oatmeal (made with milk). It's so much more filling for me.
  • TeaBea
    Options

Try this site: https://www.eatthismuch.com/

You can put in different meal goals, and different preferences..... vegetarian, etc.
  • dwilliamca
    dwilliamca Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    What did your doctor suggest for lowering the triglycerides. I ask because I have very high cholesterol, LDL, VLDL, and triglycerides. I've tried low fat diets....no change. I read somewhere that low carb actually worked better and tried that.....still no change. I take 2 medications.....slight change. I think genes are genes sometimes. If MFP gave you 1500 calories for 2 lbs a week then go with it. Eat some of the calories you burn when walk/exercise so that you don't go too low. By the way you are a neighbor....I live in Covina.
  • dbabii11
    Options
    dwilliamca wrote: »
    What did your doctor suggest for lowering the triglycerides. I ask because I have very high cholesterol, LDL, VLDL, and triglycerides. I've tried low fat diets....no change. I read somewhere that low carb actually worked better and tried that.....still no change. I take 2 medications.....slight change. I think genes are genes sometimes. If MFP gave you 1500 calories for 2 lbs a week then go with it. Eat some of the calories you burn when walk/exercise so that you don't go too low. By the way you are a neighbor....I live in Covina.

I see my doctor on Friday to go over my labs and plan of care... I was able to access my labs via web and it scared me so I decided to be proactive about my diet
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    I've been losing on about 2000-2100 calories a day, averaged by week. I'm generally losing 3-4 pounds a month. It's not 2 pounds a week, but it's comfortable and consistent and I've been able to keep it up for almost 10 months and 32 pounds now. Even when you're very overweight you don't have to torture yourself. As others have said, those calories can look like all sorts of things. I generally eat lower during the week so I can have a few drinks on the weekend, but I've figured out with a lot of trial and error that I'm comfortable eating fairly low calories if I eat frequently through the day, snack on small portions of higher-fat foods (nuts, cheese, olives), and mostly eliminate beverages with calories. But again, that's something you need to figure out for yourself. I had some scary lab-work come back at the beginning of this year (208 lbs) so that gave me a kick in the butt, too! After eight months of losing weight and two months of upping my exercise, those numbers were a lot better. You can do it!
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options

Eat fruit with your Cheerios. No cereal was ever meant to be a meal unto itself, just look at the commercials that pair a bowl with fruit and toast.