Weight GAIN instead of loss...so disheartened!

Options
Ahhhh!!! Honestly, I am at a loss...been tracking (measuring with a scale), exercising, and generally being really healthy and have GAINED WEIGHT THIS WEEK!!! Almost a whole kg...and my scale is telling me everything is high (muscle mass, vfat, bmi, etc). I am really getting disheartened. I just want the scale to MOVE and NOT BE TECHNICALLY OBESE! Any help much appreciated...

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Did you recently have a meal high in carbs and/or sodium? Did you increase your exercise? Are you at or coming up to TOM?

The point is that all of these things will cause water retention that will make you see a gain. That’s how the body works...weight loss is not a straight line down, it’s continuous fluctuations. Keep doing what you’re doing.
  • Vladaar
    Vladaar Posts: 147 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Cheer up my friend, happens to everyone well most of us. I gained a pound today too. As long as I keep steadily losing over the weeks though it is well worth it. It can be depressing in that with myfitness pal your weighing everyday, whereas if you weren't using it, you might weight once a week or few days. Then with the average you would see greater returns. Just don't give up, you have to as one poster put it get mad, I believe. Get pissed off that your fat and keep working towards the goal of getting rid of it.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,614 Member
    Options
    Vladaar wrote: »
    Cheer up my friend, happens to everyone well most of us. I gained a pound today too. As long as I keep steadily losing over the weeks though it is well worth it. It can be depressing in that with myfitness pal your weighing everyday, whereas if you weren't using it, you might weight once a week or few days. Then with the average you would see greater returns. Just don't give up, you have to as one poster put it get mad, I believe. Get pissed off that your fat and keep working towards the goal of getting rid of it.

I'm curious why you think you have to weigh yourself every day just because you're using mfp.

But others are right. The weight gain for one week could be so many things other than actual fat gain.
  • MinuitMinuet
    MinuitMinuet Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    If everything is on key, you didn't gain any fat. Stop weighing and measure once a month if the scales disturb you that much.. or weigh three times a day and write it in a journal so you can get use to seeing random fluctuations. I bounced between 87 and 91 for two long weeks then the third week I'd dropped to 83. I knew it would happen.. but it was still scary to watch. A lot of people worry that somehow they are the exception when it comes to weight loss and are the only ones who can never lose, and somehow fate dealt them a bad hand. You aren't, you will, it didn't.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Things that cause water weight:

Excessive carbs
    Excessive sodium
    Ovulation/Menstruation
    New to you exercise
    Travel/Flying
    Excessive outdoor temperatures

And many more. Do any of these apply to you, @EllyAHJ?
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Are you only weighing once a week? Water weight can easily mask any weight loss, and/or make it appear that you've gained weight.
  • hydechildcare
    hydechildcare Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I also gain this past week and still have not lost. My sodium intake has been higher than normal and I started to weight lift last week. I not to worried because I weight and measure everything. I have read it can take 3-4 weeks after a new exercise for your body to start loosing again. Give it a week and see what the scale says then, Monday are normally my highest day of the week
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Options
    When I started playing tennis I didnt drop any weight on the scale for 3 and a half weeks. I seriously freaked out because come on its tennis I wasnt lifting weights and I didnt even think I could be retaining water for that long. Three weeks later I had a 5 lbs whoosh. If you are measuring and staying within your calories it will even itself out
  • Blythmag
    Blythmag Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    i gained 2 lbs but had a bad weekend at a party so it was expected, but my weight is up and down regular....long term a long as the trend is down then bingo, you have to stop rushing it in your head, i do the same but reading these forums is learning me not to panic and look long term and beyond. keep at it, i am /
  • EllyAHJ
    EllyAHJ Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! I really appreciate the community here!
  • EllyAHJ
    Options
    Been at it since March and have only lost .4kg as of today. Been measuring everything for the last month very strictly. Exercise regularly (jogging and P90X/3 strength and yoga). Walk a lot (almost always hit 10k step count). Average 60g carbs a day. Average 1400 cals/day, adjusting for exercise but leaving a 100-200 cal deficit each time. Lots of water. I am 5’4” and just weighed in at 79.3kg...
  • EllyAHJ
    Options
    Weighing every Monday. Might try every day and see if there is a trend in my cycle, etc.
    Are you only weighing once a week? Water weight can easily mask any weight loss, and/or make it appear that you've gained weight.

• EllyAHJ
    Options
    Thanks!

I don’t think any of these apply, but...maybe sodium? I eat mainly fresh, whole foods but I haven’t really measured sodium intake before.
    Things that cause water weight:

Excessive carbs
    Excessive sodium
    Ovulation/Menstruation
    New to you exercise
    Travel/Flying
    Excessive outdoor temperatures

And many more. Do any of these apply to you, @EllyAHJ?

• shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    If you open your diary, some people may find some clues to help you.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    EllyAHJ wrote: »
    Been at it since March and have only lost .4kg as of today. Been measuring everything for the last month very strictly. Exercise regularly (jogging and P90X/3 strength and yoga). Walk a lot (almost always hit 10k step count). Average 60g carbs a day. Average 1400 cals/day, adjusting for exercise but leaving a 100-200 cal deficit each time. Lots of water. I am 5’4” and just weighed in at 79.3kg...

When you say measure are you talking about measuring cups or a food scale?