Abs

Options
Hi,
I'm new in MFP. I'm looking for a good abs workout, which I can do at home.
Thanx :)

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Abs are a function of low enough body fat to expose the abdominal muscles, and enough muscle mass to be visible.

As such, you'll need to target both fat loss and muscle development/maintenance in order to get visible abs.

Fat loss is mostly about diet/calorie intake. What you do for muscle development/maintenance can and will vary person to person. I like things like front squats and hanging leg raises. Others will suggest planks and all their variations. Still others will probably suggest squats and deadlifts because, well, because it's MFP and we can't have a thread without suggesting squats and deadlifts.

Oh, and genetics are important too... but there's not much you can do there. Either they are helping you or they aren't.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    You need a pretty low body fat percentage to make abs visible. You could have the strongest abs in the world, but if you have 20% body fat they'll be covered up.

Your abs are used in most compound exercises like squats, deadlifts, pull-ups, and push-ups. They're activated in tons of other resistance exercises as well, plus many cardio exercises like running and swimming. Therefore you don't necessarily need an "ab routine." In my experience specific ab routines are pretty painful and not that helpful. If you want to strengthen your abs at home, I'd get a pull up bar. That way you can hit your abs, back, and biceps all at the same time. Plus Leg raises are a good exercise too. Ab wheels are also good.

• Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    If by at home, you mean with no equipment... Try this.
    https://darebee.com/ab-exercises.html
    Do something like pick 5 of them and work on being able to do 3 sets of 10, for each of them
    When you can do that, make it 5 sets, and then 7 sets.
    The further down the list it is the harder it is, so if it is to easy, move on down the list.