Still hungry - Talk me down!

Options
Hi there! I've been doing very well lately eating protein and cutting back on my carbs, sugars etc. Today at lunch I had a Premier protein drink, string cheese, an apple and almonds. Yet an hour later I'm hungry! I'm trying to drink more water to see if that helps but I know I'm having a baked potato bar at a work meeting for dinner tonight so I don't want to eat anything else. Ideas? Or just distract me!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    That's not lunch...that's a light snack. I'd be hungry too if that was my lunch...
  • iamthemotherofdogs
    iamthemotherofdogs Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Two things-- that's all snack foods piled up into a meal. Your intentions are solid but there's nothing satisfying about that lunch! My suggestion would be to have a sandwich, wrap, salad, etc-- and space the string cheese, apple, and almonds out over the work day so you don't have to feel hungry, ever. I eat hourly-- Breakfast is yogurt when I get in to work, and I have a banana an hour or so later, then something like a boiled egg an hour or so more down the road. Lunch is a sandwich and lots of water, and then I'll eat an apple slowly over a half hour or so to savor it. A string cheese later or maybe a piece of fruit, another boiled egg-- never letting myself get hungry and disillusioned.

• dholt8461
    dholt8461 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys for the replies. I've been eating the protein drinks for lunch for a couple weeks now and usually it fills me right up. I try having the apple for fiber but I think maybe that's what my body is missing right now. It is about 550 calories grand total. I actually enjoy this lunch so that's why it's strange to me that I'm still hungry. I did log my potato bar and planned for just cheese and sour cream which puts me just over my 1250 daily calorie goal so in the long run another small snack would not be the end of the world but I drank more water and took a walk and it seemed to help a bit! ;) I've got about 100 pounds to lose so I'm trying to really stay on track with calories.
  • Barry0611
    Barry0611 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Eat a bit more protein. Eggs work the best for me to cut hunger. I keep hard-boiled eggs around for such an emergency.

Wish I could indulge at a potato bar, that sounds great. I am such a carbaholic I would find it hard to stop. Good luck.
  • dholt8461
    Options
    I'm thinking I may try to take either the smallest potato I see or split a bigger one with someone at the meeting tonight. I need more fiber in my diet so I'm going to get it there tonight. I think maybe my morning protein bar has too many calories. I'm disappointed about that but it seems to eat up quite a bit of my daily total.
  • Hecka_Rebecca
    Hecka_Rebecca Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Not going to lie: I honesty had never heard of a baked potato bar and was thinking it was something like this pxqrocxwsjcc_39h59zDDDqWSSyO8qiKKkM_16x9_Shepherd%27s+Pie+_Cupcakes_.jpg but in bar form.

Herbal tea is a good alternative to water, especially this time of year.
  • dholt8461
    Options
    Hahahaha that's pretty funny! We have a big evening meeting & training. So we're cooking baked potatoes from the company and everyone is bringing toppings. Cheese, broccoli, sour cream etc. But anything in bar form makes me happy! NIce and fast!
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    dholt8461 wrote: »
    Thank you guys for the replies. I've been eating the protein drinks for lunch for a couple weeks now and usually it fills me right up. I try having the apple for fiber but I think maybe that's what my body is missing right now. It is about 550 calories grand total. I actually enjoy this lunch so that's why it's strange to me that I'm still hungry. I did log my potato bar and planned for just cheese and sour cream which puts me just over my 1250 daily calorie goal so in the long run another small snack would not be the end of the world but I drank more water and took a walk and it seemed to help a bit! ;) I've got about 100 pounds to lose so I'm trying to really stay on track with calories.

Sounds like you made a good choice! I also find taking a walk around the floor of the office helps when I think I'm hungry and I'm really just bored. Enjoy yourself tonight!
    I'm thinking I may try to take either the smallest potato I see or split a bigger one with someone at the meeting tonight. I need more fiber in my diet so I'm going to get it there tonight. I think maybe my morning protein bar has too many calories. I'm disappointed about that but it seems to eat up quite a bit of my daily total.

Protein bars can be really really high in calories and despite all that chewing, sometimes is just not "enough". I do like the premier lower sugar bars at Sam's. Same brand as your drinks (I presume). They are 170 and along with some fruit can be pretty satisfying. Espeically the peanut butter dream. (if I close my eyes and think happy thoughts, I can pretend I'm eating a Reese's cup LOL)
  • okjimmied
    okjimmied Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Some days the foods that satiated our hunger in the past, just don't seem to be enough. But the important word is SEEM. You had enough calories, right? You're not out of whack with carbs which make me ravenous sometimes. So it may just be one of those days. And you may just need to battle through it. That's why you posted, right? You wanted help to battle through. You got this my friend.
  • Hecka_Rebecca
    Hecka_Rebecca Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hahahaha that's pretty funny! We have a big evening meeting & training. So we're cooking baked potatoes from the company and everyone is bringing toppings. Cheese, broccoli, sour cream etc. But anything in bar form makes me happy! NIce and fast!

That's awesome! I might suggest that for our next work potluck :)
  • dholt8461
    Options

Protein bars can be really really high in calories and despite all that chewing, sometimes is just not "enough". I do like the premier lower sugar bars at Sam's. Same brand as your drinks (I presume). They are 170 and along with some fruit can be pretty satisfying. Espeically the peanut butter dream. (if I close my eyes and think happy thoughts, I can pretend I'm eating a Reese's cup LOL)[/quote]

I don't think I saw those ones at Sams club. I got the ones that are 30 grams of protein and 290 calories. I don't know why I didn't check the calories when I was there. I guess I assumed since the drinks were low cal the bars probably would be too.

• aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Thank you guys for the replies. I've been eating the protein drinks for lunch for a couple weeks now and usually it fills me right up. I try having the apple for fiber but I think maybe that's what my body is missing right now. It is about 550 calories grand total. I actually enjoy this lunch so that's why it's strange to me that I'm still hungry. I did log my potato bar and planned for just cheese and sour cream which puts me just over my 1250 daily calorie goal so in the long run another small snack would not be the end of the world but I drank more water and took a walk and it seemed to help a bit! ;)I've got about 100 pounds to lose so I'm trying to really stay on track with calories.

So you're about 100 pounds overweight and your calorie goal is 1250?

There's no way. Did you set your own goal or use MFP recommendation? When I started at the 120 pounds to lose mark, and even with 2lb/week weight loss goal, I was still sitting real pretty at like 1,700 calories a day.

I still have about 80 to lose, and MFP has me at over 1,500.
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    I don't think I saw those ones at Sams club. I got the ones that are 30 grams of protein and 290 calories. I don't know why I didn't check the calories when I was there. I guess I assumed since the drinks were low cal the bars probably would be too.

Oops, I got the brand wrong. I get these.
    https://www.detourbar.com/products/lower-sugar-whey-protein-bars/

• dholt8461
    Options
    aeloine wrote: »
    Thank you guys for the replies. I've been eating the protein drinks for lunch for a couple weeks now and usually it fills me right up. I try having the apple for fiber but I think maybe that's what my body is missing right now. It is about 550 calories grand total. I actually enjoy this lunch so that's why it's strange to me that I'm still hungry. I did log my potato bar and planned for just cheese and sour cream which puts me just over my 1250 daily calorie goal so in the long run another small snack would not be the end of the world but I drank more water and took a walk and it seemed to help a bit! ;)I've got about 100 pounds to lose so I'm trying to really stay on track with calories.

There's no way. Did you set your own goal or use MFP recommendation? When I started at the 120 pounds to lose mark, and even with 2lb/week weight loss goal, I was still sitting real pretty at like 1,700 calories a day.

I am seeing a nutritionist and weight loss doctor (don't get me started on her) but the nutritionist suggested that I stay between 1200-1400 calories a day. I can't remember exactly what MFP suggested but I have it set on losing 1.5 pounds a week and I definitely have to loose 100 to even be in the very top of my goal BMI. maybe I should adjust it a bit more
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    aeloine wrote: »

I am seeing a nutritionist and weight loss doctor (don't get me started on her) but the nutritionist suggested that I stay between 1200-1400 calories a day. I can't remember exactly what MFP suggested but I have it set on losing 1.5 pounds a week and I definitely have to loose 100 to even be in the very top of my goal BMI. maybe I should adjust it a bit more

I mean, I won't ever disagree with a doctor, but 1,200 isn't always super sustainable... and you're seeing it right now, with still being hungry. 1400 sounds more reasonable and would give you wiggle room for a couple more snacks throughout the day.

Obviously, if you're on a doctor supervised diet plan, that's different, but I'm always surprised about how much more manageable a couple of hundred extra calories make the whole process.
  • str82nichelle
    str82nichelle Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Wow, I really think 1250 is not enough. I have 40 more pounds to lose and I eat 1500-1600. Anything under that, I feel weak and miserable :s . If I were you I would question why they set you calorie intake so low.
    Good luck on your weight loss journey :D
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    [quote="dholt8461;c-40698403"

I am seeing a nutritionist and weight loss doctor (don't get me started on her) but the nutritionist suggested that I stay between 1200-1400 calories a day. I can't remember exactly what MFP suggested but I have it set on losing 1.5 pounds a week and I definitely have to loose 100 to even be in the very top of my goal BMI. maybe I should adjust it a bit more[/quote]

Just like in every other profession, there are good nutritionists and good intentioned but not so effective ones.

Sometimes you can cut your calories and everything's fine-- for a while. But then your body says "I really NEED food" and then you binge. Could that be where you're headed?
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I’m on 1200 cal (petite and older) and I eat the Cost-Co brand protein bars for my work snack. They have 20 gm protein and 180 calories. I only have a half a protein shake with some banana and soy milk as a whole shake is too many calories. I often drink that with dinner. I eat a home made salad for lunch. I also think most of your “lunch” is snack food in a pile. Eat a real meal and eat the rest as snacks. You want to be able to maintain this eating style for forever, do it needs to be fun and not too restrictive. I can have a whole potato but am very careful with the toppings!
  • Gilligan11
    Gilligan11 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I splash lemon juice into my water to fight the hungries. For me, almonds are a deal breaker - they make me want to snack more and I can't stop at a reasonable number! Sometimes your body is telling you it needs more food too which is important to read and take note of long term so you don't slow your metabolism down. Good luck!