Yep, I gained it all back.

shinycrazy
shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
edited October 2017 in Motivation and Support
At Christmas 2016, I was hovering around the 185 mark. I had lost 115 pounds after being diagnosed as diabetic and deciding that I was going to be in control. And I was for 1.5 years I paid attention to my diet and was active, walking daily. I was off of diabetes meds and no more blood pressure meds. As 2017 moved forward, my progress disintegrated and then outright slid backwards. Old habits / thoughts snapping at my heels, I gave in to them. I'm so embarrassed. So many people, that I didn't even know would stop me in the hall at work to say that I looked great and ask my secret. No secret, counting calories and moving more. That's the easy description of course, the mental game is actually much more difficult than that. A game that I have lost. My pants don't fit, my cute shirts don't fit. I weighed in this morning at 261. I had a rough summer that including surgery for endometriosis and losing my mother to heart failure. Heart failure caused by her obesity. Why have I let this happen to me? It boggles the mind. But I am here to say that I'm doing this again. I know what to do, I've done it before. I need to learn balance because I'm either adhering to my food plan or I'm eating everything and even hiding food. It's not the person I know I have been. In true masochistic fashion, here is my before an after.
f2k7hdcbo4u5.jpg
ii0hbuoghvhu.png

Replies

• tramaine_21
    tramaine_21 Posts: 348 Member
    You got my support, we're all in this health journey together.
  • dholt8461
    dholt8461 Posts: 16 Member
    We are weighing in at EXACTLY the same number today! Let's help each other get back there! And even beyond!
  • shinycrazy
    dholt8461 wrote: »
    We are weighing in at EXACTLY the same number today! Let's help each other get back there! And even beyond!

That's crazy!! I'm totally on board.
  • shinycrazy
    weezgrrl wrote: »
    Girl, I am right here with you. In 2013/2014 I lost over 90 lbs, going from the 270's to the 170's. Bad stuff happened, I stopped taking care of myself, and by end of 2015 I had gained much of it back. Now near the end of 2017 I'm up over 20 lbs from my 2013 high weight. I've gained 120 lbs in three years. When I write that it sounds crazy. Every minute up has been a struggle. I feel like I've been falling off a huge cliff and hanging on by my fingertips but still sliding down, scratching feverishly as I slipped. And now I'm at the bottom. At least I hope this is the bottom. I'm searching for that steep switchback trail back to health, confidence, and increased fitness, but it's tough to find the right path. But I've got my hiking boots on, my backpack is full of supplies, and I'm ready for the trek. Here's hoping we can all keep going up and up on this path!

Thank you for sharing! It means a lot!
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Since this is a “for the rest of your life” deal, consider losing weight more slowly. Learning how to maintain is critical. Everyone does it differently. I’ve been maintaining for 3 months by keeping under my calories during the week, but recording and going over a lot of weekends. With 5# still to lose its a little frustrating, but I do enjoy eating the weekend foods and learning what it takes for me to maintain. I mention this now, as you know how to lose, but like many of us on here, you didn’t figure out how to maintain.

This is my third time losing, and I’ve read the maintenance boards daily from the start a year ago. I don’t want to have to do this again so I’m taking a maintenance break before hitting goal weight. Some might call it a plateau, but I know better.... I need to “get” that this process really never ends. We don’t reach some magical GW number and get to relax. You can do this- one day at a time!
  • llbrixon
    llbrixon Posts: 964 Member
    I am here again too. Let's be friends and form a group.
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    I very much understand how easy it is to revert to old habits! I gained a lil back myself and I've hit the panic button. I'm sending a friend request!
  • shinycrazy
    fiddletime wrote: »
    Since this is a “for the rest of your life” deal, consider losing weight more slowly. Learning how to maintain is critical. Everyone does it differently. I’ve been maintaining for 3 months by keeping under my calories during the week, but recording and going over a lot of weekends. With 5# still to lose its a little frustrating, but I do enjoy eating the weekend foods and learning what it takes for me to maintain. I mention this now, as you know how to lose, but like many of us on here, you didn’t figure out how to maintain.

This is my third time losing, and I’ve read the maintenance boards daily from the start a year ago. I don’t want to have to do this again so I’m taking a maintenance break before hitting goal weight. Some might call it a plateau, but I know better.... I need to “get” that this process really never ends. We don’t reach some magical GW number and get to relax. You can do this- one day at a time!

Agreed! The maintenance part is where I lost it. I was either doing what I know I need to do or eating in the opposite direction. I also lost pretty fast because the medication I was on for my diabetes reduced my appetite. I don't need it now and so I need to be able to do this on my own. I may take "breaks" during this process and try maintaining for a month or two, just so I'm not at/near goal and all of a sudden need to learn how to maintain. Thank you for sharing!
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,462 Member
    I've lost 100lbs and kept it off 11 yrs. I lost the last 40lbs on Weight Watchers. I kept tracking and counting points for five years after making goal. In the last 6 years I've started tracking again twice when I was on my way up to over my goal weight. Tracking has worked for me 3 times. The last time it seemed incredibly difficult to get going again.

But like you, we aren't talking vanity pounds. My life was at risk. There is no finish line.
  • joellej89
    joellej89 Posts: 15 Member
    I've also gained some weight back and wow am I disappointed at myself. Feel free to add me.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    what a shame :/ but the good thing is, you did it before and you will do it again.
    Personally if I was to see more than 5lbs go on, I get back on track before the 5 would become 10.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    You do know what to do to lose the weight. You need to learn what to do to maintain it, and that's the really hard part for most people. So many people lost weight only to regain.

I think it would be wise to focus not only on weight loss while losing but plan how you will maintain throughout the whole process. Think about the reasons you gained it back. Think about why you didn't stop the regain sooner.

Best of luck to you!
  • indiecupcake89
    indiecupcake89 Posts: 26 Member
    320➡️138➡️174. Managed to lose 5lbs in the last 2 months. All lbs lost since my highest weight done naturally. Depression, anxiety, constant hunger and loss of motivation caused me to not give AF and gain weight. My goal weight this time around is 153. I will get there one day! You will get to where you want to be one day too:)
  • elana1987
    elana1987 Posts: 135 Member
    Really appreciate seeing everyone's posts. Lost 60 lbs 3+ years ago, and slowly have gained all but 5 lbs back. I have a lot of great habits with physical activity in place, but my nutrition has been on and off for sure. It's been a rough road but back to it... anyone is welcome to add me!
  • meg_garv
    meg_garv Posts: 2 Member
    Same here. After I lost about 45 lbs, two years ago, it's been a slow upward creep. I know it's a combination of lack of energy from work related stress, moving to a new state, plus lack of time to plan healthy meals that's come out to this result. I'm trying hard not to be angry at myself, but like you I feel really ashamed of how I've "let myself go". Really, I've stopped making weight management my number 1 priority -- I didn't realize how much effort I was putting into it until I started trying again recently.

Hang in there! Once you get your groove back, you'll be on track! It just takes three weeks to build healthy habits. After that, it's calorie counting for the rest of our lives but with more wiggle room. Yay, 1500 calories!
  • DanniB423
    DanniB423 Posts: 776 Member
    Totally understand. I was 272 in April 2016. May 2017 I hit 206. Had a rough summer and here I sit at 236. This can really go either way for me right now. One road leads to health and feeling good. The other to depression and nothing good. I know what I need to do. So do you. It isn't easy but so worth it. Let's do it.
  • BeverlyW1108
    BeverlyW1108 Posts: 456 Member
    Thanks for sharing. We can do this starting right now.
    I’m happy to have found a support group!