TRIATHLON -- Update from my race!!!

Options
So, I know plenty of you out there are training for your first triathlons. Just wanted to share my race update with you!

Guess what!!!!??? I did it! Met all of my goals and did better than I expected.

Race: RocketChix II - July 30 - Baton Rouge, LA
Distances: 350m pool swim / 12 mile bike / 2 mile run

The race went well. The swim portion, which I was most concerned about, was not that big a deal. We were seeded by our expected finish time for the swim, and I seeded myself well, so there was no rushing, no stress. I kept telling myself, "I'm just swimming laps, it's the same as swimming laps." That got me through!!! Onto the bike, I felt strong and ready to go. The run started out a little rough, because I "gassed it" out of transition. I looked down at my Garmin and I was running much faster than my normal pace - no wonder I was so out of breath! I slowed down and caught my breath. Kept telling myself, "This is where most people quit, and I WILL NOT QUIT!"

My chip time was 1:18:37. My goal was to finish under 1:25 and to not have to walk any of the run leg. I met both of those goals and I am happy about that! My rank was 149 out of 400. I was 22nd out of 48 in my age group.

I am addicted to the sport now! I did realize that if I want to get serious about this, I still need to lose a little more weight and lean up a bit more. So, I'm back to watching my carbs and calorie intake carefully with a goal weight of 120 in mind.

For all of you who are training, all I can say is, "If you put in the time, you can do it!" Best of luck to all of you!!!

Replies

• thebiggreenmachine
    thebiggreenmachine Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Great job, sounds like you had a real successful race. Nothing feels better than exceeding your goals :smile:
  • klewis81
    klewis81 Posts: 122
    Options
    Way to go! Just being outside in BR for an hour at the end of July would be difficult enough!
  • irongirl73
    irongirl73 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Congrats on finishing your first tri! I remember how happy I was doing my first one and I had a smile from ear to ear. It's a great community and so much fun! I love the sport! :) Here's to the next one!!!
  • ArlVAMom
    ArlVAMom Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!!