Does anyone here swim?

Options

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I have a couple friends who do sprints, I think they aim for sub 7 minute miles, but they are both strong runners. One of them looked like he was drowning when he first started training for the swim

Sprint tri's are not fair to swimmers! If it's a 1/20/5k (swim/ride/run) then the swim could be half the time of the ride or run. I'd prefer 2/20/5k, which would have closer to equal times. They never do that!

have you seen the ads for Isoman Tri? notionally its supposed to be a race where all 3 legs take roughly the same amount of time to complete - the ultra one is a 7k swim, 90mile bike and marathon - they've been doing overseas and trying to bring to the US
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    if you decide you want to try one...PM me and i'll check out my various resources and see if i can find a good beginner recommendation

How common are crashes in the bike leg? They're fairly common in road racing. I know (or at least think) tri doesn't happen under UCI rules, like drafting is prohibited for safety.

I have a nice bike and don't want to risk damaging it. I'm a strong cyclist but used to riding solo, not in a pack.
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    if you decide you want to try one...PM me and i'll check out my various resources and see if i can find a good beginner recommendation

How common are crashes in the bike leg? They're fairly common in road racing. I know (or at least think) tri doesn't happen under UCI rules, like drafting is prohibited for safety.

I have a nice bike and don't want to risk damaging it. I'm a strong cyclist but used to riding solo, not in a pack.

fairly rare in my experience - any tri under USAT authorization doesn't allow drafting...you'll get newbies who aren't as confident with bike handling - so something to be aware of but in general most races are well organized. I will say, VERY FEW are on closed courses, so you do have to deal with cars on the roads (just as something to be aware of)
  • NorthCascades
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Can you draft the cars? :smile:

It sounds like I should give this some serious consideration. Maybe start running after shirt rides to get a feel for it.
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    Can you draft the cars? :smile:

It sounds like I should give this some serious consideration. Maybe start running after shirt rides to get a feel for it.

depends - do you want to suck on some exhaust? ;)
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    nexangelus wrote: »
    I have never sustained injuries from swimming ever and I have been swimming since I was a baby...

Same here... then I turned 50 and I hurt my shoulder. The solution was finally learning to swim correctly: don't slap the water, rotate your torso, don't let your hands cross past the center of your body, etc. You need someone to teach you these things.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    nexangelus wrote: »
    I have never sustained injuries from swimming ever and I have been swimming since I was a baby...

Same here... then I turned 50 and I hurt my shoulder. The solution was finally learning to swim correctly: don't slap the water, rotate your torso, don't let your hands cross past the center of your body, etc. You need someone to teach you these things.

I increased my swimming pretty quickly in July and August and I am now dealing with shoulder pain, basically just tendonitis, but I still blame the swimming and I have been swimming since I was a kid (with a big break in my mid 20s to late 30s
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    rbiss wrote: »
    I've been wanting to do something more competitive, and while is have to eat some crow, a tri would force me to focus on my weaknesses. It'd also be more relevant to me than a Nordic biathlon by a lot.

The last time I ran, I was pretty slow (9:30 per mile) and it wasn't after riding hard. How much would I have to improve?

I'm a 13-15 minute miler depending on my weight and I do triathlons. You wouldn't need to improve to compete in one because you would be well under the run cutoff times.

I had hip surgery a few years ago and don't run much at all, so I walk most of the 5K. Everyone is very supportive no matter how fast you are.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    I have a dumb question. If a pool is 25 meters, that's ONE way, right?

Or is it per lap?
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    A standard gym pool is 25 meters, which is one length. A lap is two lengths, there and back.
  • aeloine
    Options
    A standard gym pool is 25 meters, which is one length. A lap is two lengths, there and back.

So 32 laps or 64 lengths would be a mile?

My brain is getting fried with swimmers' math.
  • aeloine
    Options
    Every time I google "how many laps in a mile" or any variation including the words "25 meters" I get a multi step explanation that defines a swimmer's mile and gets super long winded and complicated.
  • YosemiteSlamAK
    YosemiteSlamAK Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options

A guy at the bike shop asked me when I'm going to do an Ironman. I'm not much of a runner, though.

How far would I have to run?

I did a couple triathlons and my dad told me after one race. "You be great at this if you didn't have to do all that running." I hate to run!

The perfect triathlon for me would be run, bike, swim! I love to swim!
  • YosemiteSlamAK
    Options
    aeloine wrote: »
    Every time I google "how many laps in a mile" or any variation including the words "25 meters" I get a multi step explanation that defines a swimmer's mile and gets super long winded and complicated.
    A swimmer's mile is 1500 meters, the race contested at the Olympics. This roughly translates to 1650 yards
    A true mile is 1760 yards or about 1610 meter.
  • aeloine
    Options
    aeloine wrote: »
    A swimmer's mile is 1500 meters, the race contested at the Olympics. This roughly translates to 1650 yards
    A true mile is 1760 yards or about 1610 meter.

Sooooo...... which one am I logging when I say I swam x miles?
  • YosemiteSlamAK
    Options
    I don't know the answer. When I log my swimming it asks me for time, not distance.
    I recommend swimming the 1600 meters and call it your mile.
  • aeloine
    Options
    I don't know the answer. When I log my swimming it asks me for time, not distance.
    I recommend swimming the 1600 meters and call it your mile.

Hmm all right. I've been logging through the FitBit app and it asks for time and then gives fractions of a kilometer or a mile.
  • YosemiteSlamAK
    Options
    If your pool is meters I would log it as 1.6km
  • aeloine
    Options
    If your pool is meters I would log it as 1.6km

You're a life saver.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    I've been wanting to do something more competitive, and while is have to eat some crow, a tri would force me to focus on my weaknesses. It'd also be more relevant to me than a Nordic biathlon by a lot.

The last time I ran, I was pretty slow (9:30 per mile) and it wasn't after riding hard. How much would I have to improve?

Nothing like a sprint distance triathlon to get your competitive juices flowing. Unlike longer distance triathlons, where proper nutrition is a big factor and the work, though prolonged, is usually not quite as intense, a Sprint is just that - an all out effort that requires you to operate right at your threshold for the entire race if you hope to be competitive. And it certainly offers a measurement of an athlete's relative strengths and weaknesses.

Since times vary based on different course layouts, and not knowing your age group, I can't provide specifics of just how fast you'd have to be to have a shot at the podium, but I can give you a few examples for reference. In a popular Sprint distance race this past summer, the Niantic Bay Triathlon, which includes a 1/2 mile swim, a 12 mile bike, and a 3.2 mile run, there were 459 athletes who completed the race. The overall winner came from the Men's 30-34 age group. The winner's overall time was 59:54. splits were Swim= 9:24, T1= 00:48, Bike=30:54, T2=00:37, Run= 18:12 Note: That run split was done at a 5:41 pace, including the last 200 yards run over beach sand!

To illustrate how competitive the field can be, there were 44 athletes in the Men's 45-49 age group. The top five 45-49 age group finishers came in at 1:03:24, 1:07:46, 1:08:13, 1:08:27, and 1:08:51. So the second through fifth place finishers were separated by only 65 seconds. That's a horse race for the podium!

So if you're looking to focus on improving weaknesses in swimming or running in a very friendly yet very competitive atmosphere, its a great sport.

Fair warning, though: Triathlon can be very addictive. If you're not careful, you could end up installing aftermarket aerobars on your road bike and wearing one of those funny looking helmets. :)