Calories Burned changing as you get into better shape...

Options
I was just wondering if anyone had any input on your calories burned decreasing as you get in better shape. I have a HRM and I am currently doing Power90. The Power90 is 2 different work outs (cardio and strength) that you alternate 6 days a week and 1 rest day. I am able to do the workouts a little easier, but have noticed that my calories burned have gone down. I feel like I am still doing the same intensity, if not even more than when I first started. I have even gone into my HRM and updated my Heart rate range and my weight as I have lots it.

Is this happening because my body is used to the work outs or because I am in better shape so it is not as intense on my body?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Replies

• MelHoneyRocks
    Options
    The less you weigh the less you burn. A person who weighs 2oo, it takes more energy to do the same thing as a person who weighs 150 therefore when you get lower you burn less.
  • Jason944
    Jason944 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Probably due to the fact that you are getting into a physically better shape. Not using as much effort to do the same amount of work will translate to lower calorie burning.
  • itsmenatalie
    itsmenatalie Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I am not an expert, but I believe as you get healthier it takes less effort for your body to do the same amount of work. You have less mass to move around and your heart doesn't have to work as hard. It's good that you're getting healthier, but it stinks that you don't burn as much!
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    No clue as to your current shape, but your body has to work harder to move 300 lbs than 100 lbs. That's all it is.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    The smaller we get and the better shape we get in, the easier it is for our bodies to do the same tasks as before, thus we exert less energy doing so. Think about when you run up the stairs at your heaviest weight. You probably huff and puff, your heart rate is way up and it takes a minute to catch your breath. Do that same thing but 50 pounds lighter....you'll practically bound up the steps, you'll still be a bit winded but nothing like before.

It kind of stinks.....I just posted the other day how I had lost 50 pounds and gained almost all of it back. I hate that I did, but I am kind of enjoying the fact that I can burn 220 calories at the gym doing walking with only one 8 minute run, whereas before I used to have to do 3 intervals of running to burn that same amount. The ONLY plus side of gaining weight, lol.
  • abbysmommy7
    abbysmommy7 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • JenBrown0210
    JenBrown0210 Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Simple answer is yes. The more weight you lose the less calories you will burn.
    Even though it is lower calorie burns there are so many other benefits to losing weight, that it doesn't matter to me.

You may want to make sure you HRM battery isn't low. I had my HRM for about 6 months and it started giving me really low burns. I just got a Polar FT4 and my calories burned are an additonal 200 to 300 over what my old one sad. Plus it gives you a warning when the battery is getting low.
  • LMStark
    LMStark Posts: 150
    Options
    If you lose weight, you will burn less calories. Also, your cadiovascular strength is growing stronger as you do more exercises that work your heart (cardio). Two people with the same weight can burn different calories if one has greater cardiovascular strength than the other, so if you haven't lost a lot of weight - don't be worried.
  • sharrrzor
    Options
    I agree with the fact that the less your body weighs, the less effort/energy it takes to move. However, I am in my 4th week of really trying to stick with my diet and exercise. In my 1st & 2nd week, it would take me approximately 40 minutes to burn 400 calories on an elliptical machine. Today, I found it interesting (and super exciting) that I burned 500 calories in 36 minutes without feeling sick or light headed. Like I said, I was & am SO excited about this, but it seems to defy the "less weigh, less burn." My theory would be that I am more conditioned now and am burning more efficiently.. I am interested in what you all may think! :)
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I burn a LOT less now than I used to.
  • cappydos
    cappydos Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • smkey
    smkey Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Where it is true that it takes more effort and therefore typically burns more calories the more you weigh, everyone's body works differently. That is one of the reasons a heart rate monitor is handy to have around (I personally don't have one, but that is the very reason I want one). Some people will burn less, some will burn more as they become more fit. If you think of it this way, your body may weigh less but you've also got more muscle and using those muscles can burn more. Plus you may be getting more out of your workouts being able to complete them with the correct form and focus on intensity as opposed to just surviving when you were not in as good of shape...
    Clear as mud?
    Moral of the story - everyone's body runs differently. A good heart rate monitor can help you get some exacts....
    Keep at it!
  • tofeelwell
    tofeelwell Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    While weight decrease affects calories burned, improved condition also decreases calories. Coaches recommend athletes switch to different exercises as the current exercise become easier. Each switch will use different muscles or use muscles differently, initially harder and burning more calories.

I use an HRM as well. I do find that I can reach good calorie burn if I continue an exercise longer than I did previously. It takes me longer to get to a heart exercise zone but continuing after that point longer gives me good burn. Also, I switch between cardio machines to rev up the heart and burn with changes.

The good news is that this problem means you are healthier. That's good, isn't it?.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    While weight decrease affects calories burned, improved condition also decreases calories. Coaches recommend athletes switch to different exercises as the current exercise become easier. Each switch will use different muscles or use muscles differently, initially harder and burning more calories.

I use an HRM as well. I do find that I can reach good calorie burn if I continue an exercise longer than I did previously. It takes me longer to get to a heart exercise zone but continuing after that point longer gives me good burn. Also, I switch between cardio machines to rev up the heart and burn with changes.

The good news is that this problem means you are healthier. That's good, isn't it?.

That's not really true. It can be a little confusing because people are using their HRMs as the only indicator of what is going on with their bodies and, in this case, the HRM can often be misleading.

It's true that, as weight decreases, caloric expenditure for any comparable intensity will decrease. The math is simple: calories burned is the product of intensity x body wt.

The confusion comes from the fact that, as conditioning improves, the heart rate for any given intensity will decrease also. Because the HRM shows a lower number, most people think that they are burning fewer calories, but, in fact, it just means that the HRM is undercounting.

Steady-state aerobic exercises (e.g. running a 10:00 mile) have relatively fixed energy costs. The energy cost (and the subsequent caloric burn) does not change significantly as your fitness level improves. Heart rate decreases because the effort is now a LOWER PERCENTAGE of your maximum (because max fitness level has improved with training), but the energy cost has not. So in this case, the lowered heart rate does NOT indicate that you are burning fewer calories--it just means you can burn the same calories with less effort. An HRM does not know your fitness level has improved--it just counts heart rate and references the initial set up data.

Over time, there may be a slight increase in mechanical efficiency, but that is relatively trivial.

For more complex, less structured activities such as mixed-movement classes, the effect of mechanical efficiency might be greater. However, as efficiency improves, one is likely to work HARDER, so you would expect actual caloric expenditure to increase.

The concept that "Each switch will use different muscles or use muscles differently, initially harder and burning more calories" is physiologically not true. Changing exercises changes the training stimulus, which can be helpful or sometimes necessary, but any hypothetical increase in calories burned due to mechanical inefficiency will be more than offset by the fact that, during that period of inefficiency, you cannot exert yourself at the same level.

As you suggest, it should not be seen as a "problem", since the whole conundrum comes from the fact that fitness level has improved. And since fitness level has improved, people can work harder and burn more calories anyway, so it's not something anyone should lose sleep over.

For more detail, anyone can read this:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/calories-burned-during-exercise-it-s-the-intensity-not-the-heart-rate-that-counts-26524
  • ennaejay
    ennaejay Posts: 575
    Options
    Very informative & helpful Azdak, thanks!!
  • tofeelwell
    tofeelwell Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Great information! Thanks! Now I want to read more about it.

The explanatin helps put the HRM's role in exercise in perspective. I had dropped one pleasant exercise, fast-walking hillside trails in a local park, because I thought it was no longer efficient exercise for me, based on HRM calorie data (decreasing). But I love being outside in a lovely place with the sounds of woodpeckers and sighting the occasional coyote, enjoyment that I can't get in the gym. Now I'll add it back as an exercise option. But I don't regret learning the new exercise options I've gained in the meantime. .
  • erinhale
    erinhale Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Its normal. You are moving without as much fight, and your body ios gettign custom to it. It will change back soon.
  • mbroeckelmanpost
    mbroeckelmanpost Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    This is probably somewhat repetitive, but a few additional thoughts. Yes, as you lose weight, you're moving less weight, which means you're burning fewer calories. But, as your cardiovascular condition improves, your heart rate will also stay lower for the same kinds of exercise and won't entirely reflect the calories burned if you use your original settings. If your HRM has fitness options (eg: my HRM has a "fitness test" that checks for resting heart rate, estimates or lets you enter VO2 max, and has a setting for exercise level), you might just need to adjust them.
  • Mrs_TrimWaistFatWallet
    Options
    Both plus being lower weight means you're moving less mass around.