Low Fodmap diet

Options
Is anyone on the Low FodMap diet? If so has it helped with your IBS symptoms?

Replies

• couchpotato99
    couchpotato99 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello, I have done it before and it helped immensely. I would highly recommend trying JR for at least 1 month.
  • couchpotato99
    couchpotato99 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    *trying it
  • vicshawwill
    vicshawwill Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi Dana,
    I have been on the low fodmap diet for several months and it has been helping my symptoms. Here are a couple of things that helped me with the transition:

1. Cutting out onion and garlic was the hardest, but using scallion greens, chives and garlic flavored oil. Also, I cook with Asafoetida powder (also known as hing powder) to give the taste of onion and garlic in food. I buy it online at amazon here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y1MN6YH/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2. Giving up gluten is something that I did years ago, but I am also on the paleo diet so I don't eat grains at all. I have found other flours work really well for pancakes such as green banana flour, tiger nut flour and coconut flour. There are lots of great recipes online if you google low fodmap along with the words of the item that you want to bake.

3. Giving up dairy is also something that I did a long time ago, but I have found that almond milk works really well in herbal iced tea. You have to chill the tea before adding the almond milk since almond milk will curdle in hot tea.

4. Giving up caffeine was also really tough because I have insomnia, but I have found that a stand-up desk at work and alternating between standing and sitting gives me more energy throughout the day.

5. This is not mentioned in the low fodmap diet, but overeating (even if it's just low fodmap foods) really triggers my symptoms. Stress in my life causes me to overeat, and now I try to text a friend if I feel a binge coming on.

6. Also, I started taking Chinese herbs and doing acupuncture to alleviate my symptoms and reduce stress. The Chinese have an amazing perspective on digestion issues. They believe that warm, cooked foods are easier to digest than raw, cold foods, so I no longer drink smoothies or eat salads. For me, Chinese medicine has been the biggest game changer. I found that just doing low fodmap wasn't enough for me because I have an extreme amount of stress in my life right now, and the IBS was just getting worse.

Feel free to message me privately with any questions!!

Victoria
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,072 Member
    Options
    My mum found it immensely helpful in finding her trigger foods and was symptom free for some time after, I think now it's mostly stress that triggers her.