Overweight kids

Options
My daughter is 8 and in 3rd grade. I haven't put her on the scale in awhile because I don't want her to grow up thinking she is always to fat. Last time however she was about 82 pounds. My 11 year old daughter is only 68. Anyway yesterday my 8 year old went to put on a pair of shorts that she has worn earlier in the summer and they wouldn't fit. Both of my daughters are in the same size but now I'm worried that my 8 year is bigger. Any tips or suggestions on helping her lose some weight but not making her feel bad about herself? I'm thinking about having her walk with me. I also need to learn to tell her NO when she wants junk food. I went yesterday and bought a lot of fruits. I know I'm not a good role model as far as weight since I am big myself but I'm working on it and don't want this for my kids!

Replies

• kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Stop thinking about having her walk and just do it. I would let her go shopping with you and have her pick out some healthier choices. Start cooking together. That would be a great time to catch up on life. Get going!!!!!!
  • sissidevore
    sissidevore Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    i have a 9 year old who is 110 lbs. honestly, i don't worry about it, because i know he will slim down. my other two children are very slim. cut out all junk food, don't even have it in the house. have only fruits and veggies to snack on. you will be surprised, my kids ask for green apples all the time, and love "tiny carrots". recently my son switched meds and lost ten lbs in a month, so your child will prob slim down. go on walks too, i walk 3 miles per day with my kids, and they all love our walks and look forward to it. my 4 year old even walks that far with no complaints.... also when out with your family, choose nature walks, hikes, parks, zoos, museums instead of like sitting and watching a movie .
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Do fun active things together, play a game of hide and seek in the woods. Play ball games. go skating, swimming etc.

Take advice from your Doctor. You should aim for her to grow in to her weight rather than lose weight.
  • celiah909
    celiah909 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I’ve been through this. We kept more easy access veggies in the house - cut and ready to munch on. I also recommend having her help. Talk about how food is fuel and can really help you feel better by having your body feel better.

And then start being more active as a family. Play kickball, walk to the park, go sledding, learn how to ski, etc.

Of course these are only my opinions. It is a fine line cause you don’t want to make her feel badly or make certain foods demonized and make her feel she needs to sneak eating. Best of luck!
  • joellej89
    joellej89 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My 7 and almost 10 year old are both bigger kids. I take genetics into account. They're both active and we don't eat much junk food. They're still growing at this age. Encouraging more healthy foods is a great plan. They will get taller and slim down.
  • BigBrainKw
    BigBrainKw Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Growing kids will be hungry. And kids often tend to be lazy. Combine the two tendencies and make the easiest snacks to get the healthy snacks. Keep a bowl of fruit on the kitchen counter or table and you might be surprised how the food habits slowly change. Have a mix for variety.

Cut vegetables like carrot sticks usually work well too. Make it really visible when they open the fridge.

It might take a little while to change the habits and every once in a while they will want chips (and that's fine every once in a while) but having easy to see and grab choices helps.
  • Dazzler21
    Dazzler21 Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Kids need exercise and a clean diet.

Without either they'll get fat. They're not adults and as such need the parents to help them pick the healthier life.

Apologies if this causes offence to anyone, but I'm not sure how this isn't deemed child cruelty yet...
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Unless your pediatrician is concerned don't stress it. They are still growing and the last thing you want to start at this age would be a eating disorder or them being concerned about weight issues. Encourage activity and eating healthy, but don't make it stressful for you or your children. I come from experience. I was a big kid, but lost weight around middle school and looking back I looked anorexic. I was teased about my weight from schoolmates and family so when I could control my diet I severely restricted (not healthy). I feel what you are saying though. My son was a bigger baby and he is now 8 and is still a bigger kid (not obese), but it looks like he takes after me so I'm sure once he reaches a growth spurt he will thin out.
  • Sunnybrooke99
    Sunnybrooke99 Posts: 369 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I have a few tips. I used to teach parenting classes, and one thing we learned/taught was not to reward or comfort children with food. So, no ice cream (or shopping lol) to treat a bad day. Instead, watch a movie, walk and talk about it, or work on a craft project. The best thing is to do something that actually improves the issue, like study the next chapter after a bad grade on a test.

As far as actual food goes, my rule, even when eating out was always one high cal thing, and low cal sides with substance (or the opposite and get fries, w a salad). My son learned to like this, and does it naturally himself now at 13.

Don’t buy stuff like little bags of chips, or sugary cereals. They get enough stuff like that out and about. I keept tortilla chips and salsa/guacamole, and ghram crackers when my son was younger. Now that’s he 13 I’ve eased up a little.

Deconstruct their meals. A lot of kids would rather have lettuce, carrots, and cucumbers separated, and dressing on the side, w a cube of cheese on the side, than a salad. I even give my boyfriend’s 5 year old canned beans on the side. He loves them plain and cold. I do read same with meat for small children. I just cut it in pieces and let them have it as a side by itself. They also might not want it all at once. They might want a cucumber for dinner, and just some cut up chicken or scrambled egg with a sliced apple for lunch, and some bread with peanut butter for a snack. Studies have shown (sorry, I’d have to look up a link) that children will choose a well balanced diet, if offered a selection of simple, nutritious options.
  • CaliMomTeach
    CaliMomTeach Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    You control what foods are available in the home and in the lunch to eat. You plan the activities after school and on weekends. Some easy rules can help limit empty calories, like not buying soda to have in the house or not putting cookies or chips in school lunches. Kids will complain that other kids have these things, but oh well. Nothing is off limits all of the time to my kids. They can order soda at a restaurant or they can have a bag of chips that another parent packed in a soccer snack, but I try to buy them "healthier" snacks. Sign your kids up for sports maybe. I think that helps my kids stay at a healthy weight. I never told my kids this, but I was a little overweight as a kid and it made me feel bad. I ate lots of junk and had little to no physical activity. I want to make sure this is not the case for my own kids. Who knows, maybe it's genetics that keeps my kids slim, but I feel better knowing they are not always eating crap and that they move regularly.
  • Dr_Fishbowl
    Dr_Fishbowl Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    This won't be even remotely helpful, but I was a pretty big kid going into middle school, but then my parents started giving me lunch money and that money went straight from their hand and into my piggy bank, thus lessening the calories I was eating in a day and thus causing me to lose weight. Now, you can argue this affected my performance at school thus dooming me to a life long career making minimum wage at Walmart....but the important thing was I was no longer overweight.
  • SisterSueGetsFit
    SisterSueGetsFit Posts: 1,211 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if you'll find this helpful or not... but I was a fat teenager and my parents never said a thing about my eating habits for the most part. I know it would have been incredibly hurtful if they had no matter how gently they explained it, but you know what hurt even more? Being a fat teenager, not have anyone ask me on dates or to prom. Being the fat college kid, still no dates or boyfriends. Being a fat adult. Not going in the ocean or to the pools because I was fat. Not feeling confident. Being fat hurt. It sucked and it wasted part of my life because I just didn't have the confidence. Don't get me wrong, I had (and still have) the most amazing parents anyone could ask for, but I wish they'd have said something to me to make me realize that being overweight really does make life harder. I am 100% supportive of ALL body confidence, but I tell you what... I'm a hell of a lot happier thinner. It might be unfair and it might suck, but it really does make life easier.

I guess I'd suggest making little changes in life without "saying" anything for the time being, but when it comes down to it, an honest discussion might have to happen.
  • brookielaw
    brookielaw Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Encourage fun activities together. Walk, go to the park, ride bikes, take her roller skating, go swimming. Do you have a dog? Reward her for walking the dog! Don't have a dog? Motivate her to get one by showing she's a good walker (If getting a doggo is a possibility. You are on my FL, you have seen what joy the dog we adopted has brought us just in the week + we've had him...and how much more active he is making the whole family). Go hiking! Is there a sport she likes? Sign her up! Soccer? Volleyball? Softball? I am a HUGE proponent of the family 5K...you saw how happy everyone looked from our race on Saturday (and you know I really only walk). Little Bit was BEAMING running her 1K with me at her side cheering her on. Big Girl, who is pretty reserved for a 13 year old, was also quite proud of herself for her 5K.

When it comes to food, quit having less healthy items ('junk food') around. Teach her the difference between a sometimes treat and an anytime food. Keep better choices in stock. Make better choices yourself and lead by example. Do you eat dinner as a family? Can you start doing that? COOKING your own foods really helps too. Maybe she'll want to get involved in that.

Now, a word of caution---I had a serious weight problem, nearly my entire life. I found comfort in food when I felt that I wasn't good enough, or wasn't loved enough. Over the years I saw a pattern with the way I was treated at home and the way I chose to cope. Make sure your daughter knows she is loved, at every size. See what her pediatrician says...perhaps maintaining and growing is what her doctor will have in mind. Now is the time to create a lifetime of good habits. Your love goes a long way. Praising good choices and a healthy lifestyle helps instill confidence to repeat that behavior (or so I tell myself with my girls).
  • tuolon
    tuolon Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    My daughter was really over weight. We found an activity she liked to do. She liked to swim so we put her on a swim team. They practiced everyday. She lost some weight. Then, she wanted to be on a volleyball team and practice was a mile to two miles away. She biked to practice everyday. She lost a lot of weight that summer. She ended up not making the volleyball team but became a lifeguard. She no longer has a weight problem because we didn't focus on weight, we focused on being active.
  • sksk1026
    sksk1026 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Good for you wanting to do something about this now. Her peers won't be calling her overweight or big or telling her she'll grow out of it. School is a cruel place for fat children. The mfp boards are full of people who still feel the hurt, decades later.
  • LiveLoveFitFab
    LiveLoveFitFab Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about getting a trampoline? My daughter had one when she was around that age and they jumped non-stop. It's great exercise and fun. Do it with her. Make up games. And yes, go on walks. Find a sport she likes and get her enrolled, even if it's just putting her in swimming lessons that hopefully will lead to swimming for a fun team or something.

My kids are 18 and 16, they still just get up and go for a walk regularly. If you need an excuse to get her walking adopt a dog and make her promise you will walk it every day with you. Kids love dogs, and both kids and dogs need to go for walks.

I wouldn't worry about her weight right now, but give her the tools of fitness and proper eating now so she grows into her weight and when she's an adult she can be fit and healthy and strong.