how long does it take to lose belly fat for firm abs?

Options
I've been working out for about 7 months now-from cardio to strength training, and I'm still not losing inches around my waist. I've tried increasing protein, decreasing carbs and sugar, and increasing my water intake. Do you guys have any suggestions or advice for me? I'm starting to get discouraged. By the way, I've lost 8 pounds so far, but still not losing belly fat.

Replies

• Zerbertkisses
    Zerbertkisses Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I would like to bump this post. I think I'm in a similar boat. My belly is my biggest problem area.
  • XxBri22xX
    XxBri22xX Posts: 183
    Options
    Bump
  • ashleelyman
    Options
    Bummer...I was hoping for some good replies! I'd like advice on this as well!
  • ashleelyman
    Options
    I guess it's only been posted for a few min. DIdn't see that part. LOL.
  • Dabbles
    Dabbles Posts: 367
    Options
    I've just been watching what I eat. And doing Jillians 30 Day Shred. Pushing myself hard. I can see them peaking out on the sides... Might take another round before they appear. Still some pudge to get through. And I run every other day as well.
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Are you actually measuring with a tape measure, not just looking in the mirror?

I've heard it said that however long you think it will take, it will take longer.
  • soonermommy3
    Options
    I have this same problem. I've noticed that Pilates has helped. We also do lots of planking. I still have a way to go, but I have lost over 8in just from my waist.
  • cheddarboy
    cheddarboy Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    A change from steady state cardio to high intensity interval training has helped me. Also keep the diet (higher protein) very strict will help achieve results faster. Alcohol v bad as well.
  • tcpowell25
    tcpowell25 Posts: 292
    Options
    Are you actually measuring with a tape measure, not just looking in the mirror?

yes I do use a measuring tape. I measure about every 2 weeks or so.
  • hyenagirl
    hyenagirl Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Losing weight around the belly various depending on body type and genetics. Some people lose it first, some people lose it as they go along, some people lose it last. I'm one of the people who lose belly fat last. Everything else on my body will be very toned, but I'll still have love handles. Just gotta keep chugging along until it gets down.
  • mfdpa
    mfdpa Posts: 4
    Options
    If you actually want to see your abdominal muscles you will need to get your body fat down to about the 12% range. You may well be toned as a result of your efforts but to get the look some people have you must reduce body fat to relatively low levels.
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Are you sure it is actual belly fat or is it loose skin? I have hard abs but I will always have some loose skin that will have to be surgically removed b/c my elasticity just isn't there like it used to be. My midsection was the last weight to go by the way... my mom and sisters have the same issue so I think it is genetics too.
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Spot reduction is not possible. Your body will burn the fat wherever it chooses & you can't control it. As you tone the muscles under tje fat, the muscles push against the fat and flatten it out. That gives a better appearance, but the fat is still there. Eventually when you get really lean, the belly fat will disappear. It just takes time. :)
  • scriehl
    scriehl Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    This is a good guideline. Hope it helps.

17 Foods To Eat To Lose Belly Fat

Avocados – rich in monounsaturated fats along with a ton of fiber, both of which are linked to burning belly fat

Almonds – help keep you slim by keeping your stomach full. I recommend eating a handful or two of almonds daily but don’t go wild with them

Berries – strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, etc. are packed with fiber and antioxidants, but watch out for the sugar-loaded jams and jellies out there

Eggs – loaded with vitamin B12 which is what your body uses to metabolize fat and a recent research study found those who ate eggs for breakfast lost more weight then those who bagels

Extra Virgin Olive Oil – a great supply of healthy oils that your body needs to burn belly fat

Beans – very low-calorie and jam packed with fiber to help you tone and lose stomach fat, don’t eat the refried kind though.

Green Veggies – filled with vitamins and minerals along with good fiber, go with romaine lettuce, spinach, broccoli but no iceberg lettuce

All Natural Peanut Butter – all natural peanut butter has lots of niacin in it which keeps your digestive system on track and prevents your belly from bloating

Green Tea – rich in antioxidants proven to speed your metabolism; a research study found those who drank green tea regularly lost an burned 266 more calories per day

Wild Salmon – high in omega-3 fatty acids and rich in lean protein, both proven to kill belly fat but stick with wild and NOT farm-raised

Dairy – calcium helps break down fat and prevent it from forming, and if you’re body can handle it try going for raw milk next time you’re at the grocery store

Protein Powder - has amino acids that burn fat and build muscle, stick with a higher quality protein with cold-processed whey protein isolate at the main ingredient — I like to use Prograde Protein Powder.

Greek Yogurt – rich in calcium and probiotics that destroy belly fat – find a great plain Greek yogurt or one that isn’t loaded with sugars

Sweet Potatoes – rich in fiber, protein, calcium, iron, vitamins A and C and your body will digest them slower meaning you’ll have a more gradual rise in blood sugar

Citrus Fruits – oranges, limes, lemons, grapefruit are super rich in vitamin C and fiber which helps process fat faster

Chilies – foods with chilies or cayenne pepper contain capsaicin which helps increase your metabolism

Dark Chocolate - packed with antioxidants along with other fat burning stimulants (78% or high cocoa with lower sugar)

I especially like the last one! :)

Good luck girl!
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    It seems like it took forever for my belly to go down! Like really, about a year...suddenly, out of nowhere, around January of this past year, it seems like my belly went down.

So just be patient, keep at it, and it'll happen.
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Losing weight around the belly various depending on body type and genetics. Some people lose it first, some people lose it as they go along, some people lose it last. I'm one of the people who lose belly fat last. Everything else on my body will be very toned, but I'll still have love handles. Just gotta keep chugging along until it gets down.

I agree with this reponse. You need to work your core for strength, but when and how much you lose the fat in this area is genetics and body type. My BF % is still quite high (about 27 - 29%) but my abs are one of the first places I lose weight and get definition. My problem area is my thighs and I know I need to be at goal weight with much lower BF% to realize toned legs.

Typically, the first place you tend to gain weight is the last place you lose it.

Hang in there and be patient. You are in this for the long term!
  • TabbyDunn
    Options
    In the June issue of Oxygen Magazine in the Ask Alicia section it says that for visible abs you need to have not only a solid abs workout but also a low body-fat percentage. She suggests a clean diet with no processed food, alcohol, or sodium/sugar heavy foods.

I can't vouch for it entirely. I can say when I stick to the clean eating diet I can see more definition and if I take a weekend off from eating clean the definition is gone.
  • tcpowell25
    Options
    Are you sure it is actual belly fat or is it loose skin? I have hard abs but I will always have some loose skin that will have to be surgically removed b/c my elasticity just isn't there like it used to be. My midsection was the last weight to go by the way... my mom and sisters have the same issue so I think it is genetics too.

I'm sure it's fat. Now that I think of it, it may be genetics b/c most of my family have flabby midsections. LOL!
  • tcpowell25
    Options
    you guys rock! thanks so much for the responses. feel free to add me as a friend for motivation as well.
  • ShannonBas
    ShannonBas Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    bump :heart: