Withings Wi-Fi scale

Options
Hello,

Does anyone else have a Withings scale that's synced up with MFP?

Over the last couple of months I'm really starting to see the benefits of jumping on the wifi scale as part of my daily routine. It is bone stock simple, and I think that has helped take away a lot of the issues and concerns around "The Scale"

Anyone out there with a Withings?

Replies

• mfpchris
    mfpchris Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Anyone out there willing to speak up? There are three of us now, it's really pretty engaging having our numbers pop up.
  • wutaday1
    wutaday1 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have been considering getting one of those for more accountability. Do you find it works well?
  • mfpchris
    Options
    Hey, sorry for the delayed response.
    wutaday1 wrote: »
    I have been considering getting one of those for more accountability. Do you find it works well?

I have acquired for MFP friends who have these Withing Wi-Fi scales, and along with me we see each others progress in real time....I have become a huge advocate. I find this daily scale sync transforms MFP into a genuine peer supported environment.

I've always heard that Weight Watchers has the best success among various programs and I came to think it was the public weigh-ins they do. I wanted to build a little group where that was a big part of it. Sure enough it does wonders for me. @wutaday1

• mfpchris
    Options
    Hello, anyone recently get a new Withings Wi-Fi scale? I really like having it be plain simple to have my scale sync here to MFP. Anyone else using the Sync.....

Oh yeah, Withings is now Nokia. Same same.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Not quite sure what you are looking for, but I have a Withings and find it real simple. Step on it first thing after peeing and don't have to worry about updating anything. Goes to GC, Libra, Trendweight and here.

If this is a friends thing, I don't do the friends thing.
  • mfpchris
    Options
    Thanks for the reply Tacklewasher. Noted: you don't do the friend thing. I have been able to "friend" four other people with scales that sync here to MFP, and we all have made great progress together. I'm think my progress will be improved (and hopefully others) if I can identify a few other scale auto-sync'er people here. That's what I am "looking for" more success in my process, and to collaborate with others as they make progress.
  • GoalWeight165by2018
    Options
    Does the scale give an accurate weight? I might be in the market for a new scale. I stepped on my digital scale 5 times this morning - 5 different weights, with six pounds difference!
    Does a withings scale have that problem?
  • neonnitelight
    neonnitelight Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've had my Withings scale for a couple of years now and I absolutely love it. It's nice to see trends based on what I eat, how much water I drink, and when Aunt Flo visits. I use it every morning as soon as I wake up and use the bathroom. I know that people balk at the idea of weighing yourself every day, but different things work for different people.

I've found it to be accurate with respect to your weight. No matter how many times you step on it (same day/time), it will give the same reading. The only thing that isn't completely accurate is the body fat %. The sensors are sensitive to how much moisture your feet have on the soles. Technically it reads the impedance, but what matters is that it is very sensitive to how much water you've taken in or if you stepped in water before weighing yourself. So don't read too much into the body fat percentage fluctuations day-to-day.

I would definitely buy the scale again. I love that I don't have to input my weight into MFP. I've found that I make more progress if I don't have to track multiple inputs.
  • mathdad41
    mathdad41 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I guess I have a couple questions that hopefully someone can help me with.

1. I have a size 16 shoe. Is that going to be a problem?
    2. I know it can have up to 8 users. Is the data accessible to all users or only when you step on it yourself?
    3. How difficult is setup to sync with MFP?

Thanks
  • neonnitelight
    neonnitelight Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    @mathdad41

1) Looks like the new one is 12.8 x 12.8 x 0.9 (in). I'm not sure how long your feet are, but a quick look says 16 is around 12in. So I would assume that you would be ok.

2) The scale is able to determine different profiles by the weight and only that person will be recorded. I can't access profile information directly on my scale other than the weight trend for only myself. The Withings/Nokia website is where the data for the different profiles can be pulled up. I'm the only one in our household that uses the scale currently, so I'm unsure of all the options with different profiles.

3) Syncing is a breeze. You give access through MFP. It's been a while, but I don't remember having to do anything on the Withings/Nokia side though you might have to select the profile. Once you link your accounts, that's it! When you weigh yourself and your scale syncs, the weight will be automatically imported into MFP. If you have a fitbit tracker, you can also link that account as well.

I only have to change the batteries once a year. I bought mine around 3 years ago. I have to use my phone to set up the wifi when I change batteries, but it's easy. I can change what is displayed and measured through the app (Android).

Let me know if you have anymore questions! =)
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    I’ve been using mine for about a year now.
    I find it very useful when bulking and cutting
  • mfpchris
    Options
    1) Wow, big feet...but there you go 12.8 x 12.8
    2) Default is private, only the single user can see their profile. It is possible to share profiles, if you want to be visible to others. But this is anyone, not just the people who use your scale....i.e. you could share it with me.
    3) Bone simple, one time only. Though I too could do straight wifi and had to use my phone to do the initialization. After that it is all auto-magic wifi updating and sync...you just have to stand on it for about 5 seconds...that's it.
  • mathdad41
    mathdad41 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I ordered one. Should be here tomorrow afternoon.
  • mfpchris
    Options
    With MFP it is good to set up a countdown ticker on your profile. You enter starting weight in MFP 'profile' (whatever your first weighin on your new Withings reads) Set a goal. Probably better to begin with a mini-goal rather than a lifetime goal to get going. Say SW:225 GW:215, click the I want to lose 1.0/week, identify your activity level. Make your diary visible to friends, weigh every morning, log all your food, add me and neonnitelight and others as 'friends' then we'll all watch and cheer as you drop that ten pounds over ten weeks...and the progress will be prominently displayed as your scale syncs each day.