Help with pasta!

Options
Hi! I’m eating regular white elbow noodles, and I need help with this. It says “ 0.5 cup dry = 1 cup cooked “ is 210 calories. So does that mean that 0.75 cup dry which equals 1 cup cooked will have 315 calories? Does cooked pasta always double in size? Sometimes if i have prepackaged noodles that you just cook it will say just “ 1 cup “. How do we know if this is dry or cooked?

Replies

• sparklyglitterbomb
    sparklyglitterbomb Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Best way is to get a food scale, weigh the dry - that will be infinitely more accurate than cups.

If you don't have a scale, just measure the dry and take the cooked measurement with a grain of salt since pasta can expand when cooked at different rates.

If you measure 3/4 cup dry, then estimate you are eating 1.5 servings.

If it doesn't specify whether serving measured is cooked or raw, then I would estimate it's 1 cup cooked to prevent possibly way underestimating my calories.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Most pasta and grains nutrition labels will specify if using the dry or cooked volume/weight. Generally it's the dry because that's what the manufacturer controls and how it leaves the factory.

In your case, the first response is correct, the manufacturer specifies one serving as 0.5 cups dry. 0.75 cups dry would be 1.5 servings per the nutrition info.
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    In the absence of a food scale, I typically log pasta by what portion of the whole box I ate. Since I'm usually the only one eating it, it'll even out even if my exact portions are wrong.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Weigh it in grams