Self-Sabotaging Habits: Confess them to help (everyone) beat them!

Options

Replies

• cshern
    cshern Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have the same shameful habit of bingeing. Also, lying in my diary is another one.
  • ObsessivelyObsessingObsessions
    Options
    For me, it's thinking that the one thing I do today won't result in a long term problem. It does. It always does. At one point I had lost 75lbs and I ran constantly. So the thought that I could be bad one week and then go back to "good" the next week and see the water weight disappear became really ingrained in how I viewed my eating habits. However, what wound up happening is I would always do one thing... so that one thing became a collection of one things that would ruin all my hard work.

I also have a terrible time turning down the foods my boyfriend brings around. He's a MUCH bigger guy (he's tall and built like a linebacker) and so he can eat and barely show anything. Whereas for me, I eat one cheese cracker and suddenly I've eaten 1/4th the cheese and I've gained 3lbs, whereas it was just a quick snack for him. I have to really start looking at how I'm not thinking of things in a collective manner. I also need to start making my choices more independent of his habits. He's totally supportive of this and if I'm honest, this has been my failure. Not his.
  • ent3rsandman
    ent3rsandman Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I have a bad day of eating and attempt to compensate the next day. Sometimes it works, other times it sends me into a yo-yo like pattern that leads to a sort of binge-fast cycle. If it's only a few hundred calories over my calorie goal then I've learned to forget about it and just move on. Sometimes it's 1000, though. :/
  • Johns_Dope_AF
    Johns_Dope_AF Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Ordering candy online
  • tmanfromtexas
    tmanfromtexas Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    One word- Booze.

X2

Plus I look at the calories I have burned that day and say cool I can have a drink or I can have extra (fill in the blank). I quit looking at that until the next day and that has helped plus laying off the Tito's vodka lol. Damn I love Tito's Vodka.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    TheEmi wrote: »
    My eating is out of control once I get home. I'll start with a reasonable snack, which becomes a marathon of gorging until dinner is done. Also, I haven't been accurately logging the binging because it is embarrassing to admit in my diary.

It is disappointing because I'd made it under 150 lbs for the first time in over 2 decades. I am now that much further from my end goals because I am not reining in this habit that I previously let push me to almost 250 lbs. Things will get better! Just really frustrated in backtracking.

Here's what I do: when I know that the binge is BAD but I'm too embarrassed to log it, I just add 1 or 2 thousand calories. I know that I binged and that I'm forcing myself to be accountable, but it's literally just one line item in my diary, like anything else. Log it and move on.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    My confession is that when I read cookie and candy discussions here, it takes me less than 48 hours to binge on cookies and candy. I must stop reading those discussions.
  • sbrown6
    sbrown6 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is my cookie butter^^^

It’s is my kryptonite for sure.
  • explodingmango
    explodingmango Posts: 171 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Sometimes I have a bad day of eating and attempt to compensate the next day. Sometimes it works, other times it sends me into a yo-yo like pattern that leads to a sort of binge-fast cycle. If it's only a few hundred calories over my calorie goal then I've learned to forget about it and just move on. Sometimes it's 1000, though. :/

I have the same problem so bad it constitutes a major part of my eating disorder. What I've found that works fairly well is this:

Instead of a single number, fixed calorie target every day, I give myself a target range. Mine, specifically, as of right now, is 1200-1500 - so, 300 calorie difference between the low end and the high end. I do not, under any circumstances, take in less than 1200.

So, if I were to eat 2000 one day (500 over the high end of my range) then, my goal would be to eat closer to 1200 for the next 2 days (total of 600 under the high end). Thus, on average (i.e., where it actually counts) I remain within that range - and I didn't have to starve myself and restart the yo-yo cycle to do it.
  • misshoe
    misshoe Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I tend to reward success with food. Terrible habit & self sabotaging! I have to find a non-food reward!
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    beer. and having a handful of nuts without weighing.
  • DanielleFayeS
    DanielleFayeS Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Paradoxically both getting too discouraged/feeling too ashamed of minor upward trends and falling off the wagon. And getting too cocky when I finally do start to see the scale dip downward and go "I got this I can surely have a couple bad days." Which turns into a bad week. Which leads to situation one.

I also LOVE sweets. I try to schedule them into my diet so I don't completely give up.

Social eating is also a problem. I like to go out to restaurants with friends and don't want to be a killjoy and don't always like the low calorie options.
  • lili200
    lili200 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    If I drink alcohol, even 1 beer I lose control over my food
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    Normally i overpay to get a single serving thing, Like a drumstick from a variety store. Some times ill cave and buy a tub of icecream or a box of 5 cones for what would be 1.2 cones cost at a variety store. I tell myself every time ill moderate them and make them last. I know i cant. I eat until im sick and keep eating with foods like icecream/cookies/cakes. I know that, Yet every once in a while i get cocky (lie to self) lol.

Lately i hid my sweets from self, But i live in a tiny place so not overly well. Instead of wasting a few $ i tell myself i cant possibly waste 2$ worth of chocolate chips! Such a waste...So i keep digging into them every few days -.- Iv wasted alot more on alot less. Im totally lieing to self and totally aware if it but i still cant throw them out lol.

• kathskelly53
    kathskelly53 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Bread bread and more bread need a lock
  • KenzieTeague
    KenzieTeague Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Beer/alcohol is something I have noticed myself consuming more often. I am still a light to moderate drinker, but alcohol calories really add up. Before I joined MFP I wasn't even thinking about the glass of wine or beer with dinner, or the sunday football beers, PLUS just one drink in and I am already reaching for the snacks. I decided recently I will only drink on holidays and special occasions. Currently I intend on sobriety until New Years! It honestly hasn't been challenging at all, and I have noticed a big difference in how I feel. My boyfriend probably drinks a beer every other night and I started drinking more often with him. But, I can no longer use another's action as an excuse for my own.
  • verybusybee
    verybusybee Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I would say mine bad habit is pasta, bread and carbs. Since I started Keto I have done much better but I still slip and crave once in awhile. Now its just staying strong for the holidays.