Workout question

Options
Does anyone use Map my run? It was at the gym doing exercise bike and equipment for 60 min and it says I burned 1240 calories. Does that sound right?

Replies

• notreallychris
    notreallychris Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Did you enter your stats into the machine? The answer will depend on your stats, and intensity of the workout.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    If you can burn 1,240 kCal in an hour on a bike we need to get you racing by spring.

Does the bike at the gym report watts?
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,718 Member
    Options
    Not a runner, but I do use Map My Walk but NOT for the calorie count as I believe it is way off. I just like to track my mileage and time when walking outside. I've never used it on the treadmill.
  • mumfy23
    mumfy23 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Depends on stats as others said, but highly unlikely.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    I use map my ride, but not for calorie count. It has my age, weight and sex, but I find they overestimate on the calories. It doesn't track my heartrate at all.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    The MapMyFitness apps are notorious for overestimating calorie burns. When I was using them I set my weight in the app so that it would report burns at about half of what it would report for my weight.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    dante8993 wrote: »
    Does anyone use Map my run? It was at the gym doing exercise bike and equipment for 60 min and it says I burned 1240 calories. Does that sound right?

i have a pal on here who uses map my run for running, i love seeing her calorie burns, they are ridiculous and nowhere near accurate.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    no, that doesn't sound right. I would say even people who are SERIOUSLY overweight or SERIOUSLY putting in effort i've rarely seen anyone go over 350 cals/ 30 minutes.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking, I find that I burn 100 cals/mile running. Your numbers are wayyy too high. Here's a good calculator: http://keisan.casio.com/exec/system/1350958587 I put in my stats and 10-12 mph and it says that I would burn 450 cals in 1 hr.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    no, that doesn't sound right. I would say even people who are SERIOUSLY overweight or SERIOUSLY putting in effort i've rarely seen anyone go over 350 cals/ 30 minutes.

Also we're talking about a stationary bike, which is not a weight bearing exercise. So being a featherweight or a heavyweight doesn't affect your calories here. Because you're sitting down to use it.