workout for someone 479 lbs

So I'm 479 lbs lost 10lbs this month so far and trying to lose 200lbs total in a year. Anyone have any workout ideas that can help out.

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Four lb per week is a trivially easy thing when it is less than 1% of your present weight. However, weight loss from an obese start point to a goal somewhere below the 'overweight' BMI range does slow down to a crawl, most noticeably about 2/3 of the way to the healthy-weight goal. There is a fabulous current discussion here. Search for "Of refeeds and diet breaks". It is not meant for people at the beginning of a weight loss effort, but for people nearing that last 1/3 of the way. Learn it and avoid the pitfalls of ignorance. Welcome. I have lost 100 lb and am presently in the healthy range of the BMI.
  • djanvk
    djanvk Posts: 5 Member
    Just get up and get moving, really even going out for a walk will help, going up and down stairs will increase the burning of calories. You could also get some resistance bands and dumbbells and do some resistance exercises with them, as you go on you will be able to add more to your routine.
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Just plain old walking is good exercise.
  • dlm7507
    dlm7507 Posts: 237 Member
    At that weight, too much walking could be tough on the knees. You might want to mix the walking with rowing and other things that don't overdo the knee joints. If you are up to getting up and down from the floor you might want to do that as often as you can (is it OK with your doctor?). Move as much as you are up to.
  • bjcrewe
    bjcrewe Posts: 208 Member
    Doctor told me to lose weight the amount i want to lose they dont no about.
  • sosteach
    sosteach Posts: 260 Member
    Walk...as much as you can, as often as you can, every where you can
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Walk, walk, walk...a lot happens in the kitchen for loss. Make sure you’re making good choices there too. Hand weights.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Walk, walk walk, and swimming is good too as it's low impact.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    walking as much as you can is important, but should never be overdone at your current weight as it can place excessive stress on the lower body (knee, ankle, foot) and lets face it, that's not good for your long term sustainability.

Swimming and other water-based aerobics can be great. Hand bike, stationary bike, and elipticals are awesome. There might even be some low-impact aerobics classes you can do like chair exercises (sitting to standing, leg lifts, presses, etc.)

It depends entirely on the equipment at your disposal. :)
  • craignev
    craignev Posts: 1,247 Member
    You should focus more on your calorie intake at the moment to lose weight. As the lbs drop off you'll naturally feel more like moving/exercise. Best of luck on your journey :)
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    I remember when I started 4 years ago with MFP there was a guy that had started at about your weight and was posting his success story. He said that he was so obese that he went to the pool and just walked in the shallow end at first. Another guy (again, obese to success story) said that he started out in his room with an exercise video and just did what he could at first--but like 5 times a day. Comb the success stories on MFP. You'll get lots of ideas.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Go to the pool! Even walking is roughhhh on joints at that weight. Swim in the pool, power walk in the pool (arms engaged), play pool volleyball, do egg beaters, stretch. Anything goes in the pool. If you look on youtube there are lots of pool exercises great for bigger people.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Start walking 3-4 days a week ... When you get to 30 or 45 minutes comfortably , think about adding 30 seconds or a minute of running. When the 30 seconds gets comfortable, try for 2 minutes.

When you get to two minutes, think about C25K.

At your size, body weight squats are a good idea(if you have no physical limitations. When you get to 10-15 consecutively... and you've lost about 50 lbs, think about starting a barbell or dumbbell progressive program.
  • bigjonb4116
    bigjonb4116 Posts: 153 Member
    edited October 2017
    when i started at 456lb i started with walking, dumbells and resistance bands. initial walking distances werent great. but eating with a cal. deficit and with some exercise the weight starts to come off. i then bought a really cheap cross trainer from a charity shop (£15 about $20), which is great for the knee joints as its low impact,
    as the weight comes off everything gets that much easier. i now have a multi gym too which was an ebay bargain for £20.... but walking and going up steps it a great way to start.. just don't expect to be running a marathon just yet... i have lost 152lbs so far in about 20months... so it is achieveable.
    actually reading the post above this, i did body weight squats to start with. now i do goblet squats using a 20lb dumbell. usually 5 sets of ten.... anything to get the heart pumping a bit.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Walking. Sitting to standing from a sturdy chair. Chair exercises with barbells (curls/rows/seated presses). Water aerobics, water walking, or lap swimming if possible.

It really depends on your current mobility. If you are decently active and can already walk for an extended period of time, you can add more intense activity. Check with your doctor to make sure you can safely increase your exercise.