Feeling Hungry All the Time

Options
So when I first started using mfp, I would be full from the meals I was eating. I went on vacation a few weeks ago and felt bad that I gained three pounds. So I think since then I have not been eating all the calories I need. This weekend wasn't bad, but the weekdays when I work out, I'll just feel hungry and get bad hunger pains. I'll then snack and eat an apple but the pains just get worse. So tonight I ignored my usual "healthy" foods and ate a meal at Wendy's and I have so much more energy now. Btw, if you look at my journal and have suggestions let me know, but I am aware I've been over in sodium. Does anyone know of some filling foods that will give me more energy? I need some higher calorie foods that are also beneficial as well.

Replies

• FaithsVegWorkout
    Options
    I've been eating a lot of beans, but I'm used to eating them since I'm veg. They are filling.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Looks like yo might need more protein.
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I love apples, but I am always more hungry after I eat one.

Definitely try to up your protein.
  • Deb2012
    Deb2012 Posts: 124
    Options
    Not sure how often you can or do eat, but maybe if your lifestyle permits try eating smaller meals every 2 -3 hours - and yeah keep the protein up :smile:
  • lsand
    lsand Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    All that extra sodium can make you retain water. And going over on sugar can zap your energy and make you crave more. You may need more protein. Good job keeping at or just under your calorie goal.
  • jadery24
    jadery24 Posts: 53
    Options
    Definitely up the protein, and reducing your sugar intake will help, too.
  • MarySunshine70
    Options
    I'm with the "get that protein" responses.
    My appetite cannot be trusted at all.... I crave the junk and always feel ill when I indulge. Some of my best "help me" foods are Greek Yogurt (fat free) with a lot of water, protein shakes that "fluff" up, a little chicken mixed with kidney beans, a whole cucumber quartered with a tiny bit of Chachere's seasoning (salty ): ), & a bag of baby carrots is my constant companion.
    I've found out that if something is a bit achy in my gut... I instinctively want to eat... I'm not actually hungry but just trying to get the gut to quit hurting - weird me!
  • B_L_A_Z_I_A_N
    Options
    make sure you are drinking enough water!
  • zukekitty
    zukekitty Posts: 185
    Options
    I agree with making sure you are drinking enough water. What you think are hunger pains could be dehydration. Also, definitely load on the protein. I start my mornings with almost all protein and it really helps me get through the day without feeling hungry.
  • mrk34
    mrk34 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    You do not have to be hungry in order to lose weight. All weight loss methods that require tolerating any level of hunger are not going to work. It is hard not to eat when you are hungry. It is equally hard to force yourself to eat less.

But it's possible to choose what you eat.

By following the feeling satisfied with fewer calories concept, I made my method of losing weight without being hungry a reality.

I don't have to deal with hunger, because I eat plenty of low-calorie fresh vegetables and fresh fruits to help me feel full. I add whole grains and protein and it works for me. I keep losing weight and feel great.

Here is what I eat.

Breakfast:

1 tomato
    Blueberries or Blackberries
    1 slice of dry, 100% whole-grain toasted bread with 2 slices of 99% fat free turkey breast
    Hot tea (no sugar)
    Lunch:

Water
    Grilled chicken breast (no skin)
    Lots of Romaine lettuce
    Spinach
    Tomatoes
    Green or red paper
    Carrots
    Hot tea (no sugar)

Dinner:

Apple
    Grilled Skinless Chicken, Romaine lettuce, tomatoes
    Hot tea (no sugar)

Snacks:

Apples
  • Jefster
    Jefster Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    You might need to increase your fat intake. Try adding Coconut oil to foods, or maybe some olive oil. Fat will keep you satiated longer than a larger amount of non-fat.
  • sonjalucia
    sonjalucia Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Another thing to try would be to ensure that you are pairing a protein and fat at every sitting... Depending on when throughout your day you do card, then add the carb to the meal beforehand,

So, if you workout in the morning, have a complex carb with your breakfast such as a flax seed wrap, or a whole wheat/oat bread with a piece of fruit and some egg whites for breaky.

If you work out in the evening, have some long grain basmati brown rice with some chicken or fish and many leafy greens pre-workout.

I find the food pairing helps keep you full throughout the day, don't always do the same thing either.... ,mix it up!