will doing a 5k everyday help?

Options
so i am wanting to do a 5k every day for 2 weeks will that be a good source of excersise? i really need to find a new excersie program that i can stick too. thanks

Replies

• mnsmith83
    mnsmith83 Posts: 128
    Options
    If you're a runner already, running 3 miles a day should be fine. If you're not a runner, running 3 miles a day will NOT be fine. Look into the C25K program instead!
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    I do at least 3.5 miles when I run.

I run 5 days a week, alot of times I run 5-7 miles though, but I need to increase that.

If you don't run, just start fairly slow, I'm doing Couch to 1/2 Marathon in 5months, which isn't slow it's very tough. And there is no real plan, I jsut run.
  • brittg7
    brittg7 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    some people can run everyday i am a runner and i cant...i have to take a day off...but you have to see how your body feels when running...when i run i typically run a 5k when i run if not a bit more...but i cross train as well to help prevent injury
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Running is a great way to exercise, it has helped me lose weight, and makes me feel great!
    Running every day is hard on your body though, especially if you are just getting started. I'd suggest start out slow, build up your endurance gradually, take rest days (at least once a week - you don't have to do nothing on that day, but walk or swim or do something else gentle) to give your muscles a chance to heal and strenghten.
  • Pistolcoach
    Pistolcoach Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    there aint no shame in walking a 5K..just sayin'. I'm not permitted to run, so I walk. A LOT. if you arent a runner, and want to be a runner, i'd suggest the Couch to 5K program....if you are a walker and want to remain a walker...you can use some of the same concepts of the couch to 5K to increase your endurance and your speed....
  • whodatgrl
    whodatgrl Posts: 111
    Options
    A doctor I work with who is an avid runner said he never run's more than 3 days a week even during training for a run and he does strength on non-run day's, so when I decided to take up running I ran M, W and F using the coolrunnings C25K program and I didnt get shin splints or any other injuries as in the past and did strength training on T and Th.
  • gabrielled
    gabrielled Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I feel accomplished after I run, but my physical therapist was making too much $ off of me. Two or three days later, I would have adhesions in my muscles. We have an open discussion, my therapist and me, about exercises I should do and shouldn't. I do admit I have a partial meniscus in my right knee, but I have more knee than some. He outright said, "Running is stooooopid!" If I use the elliptical at the gym, I actually burn more calories and have less knee pain, oh, and I can feel more muscle fatigue, in more "important" places (my gluteus). Get checked out by your doctor before you start training, and follow a training plan if you aren't already a runner. And ask yourself, do you have good knees? Are your shoes right for your stride? Do you have correct body mechanics while running?

Make sure you go slowly, and wear appropriate running shoes FITTED FOR YOU.
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    This is a good thread - I average around 6-7k per day on the treadmill (mix of walking and running) and I too wonder if this is a *good* or a *bad* thing. Touch wood I've got pretty strong legs and have been injury-less. I used to swim competitively so not sure if this has anything to do with it.

Am contemplating doing some circuit training to mix it up a bit, and I have a protein shake after each run (or protein-rich food if I've got no supplement in).

Any more sporty people out there willing to impart some advice?

H :)
  • deftodie
    deftodie Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Cross training is important for ANYONE'S routine, even the conditioned runnings that can run many miles every day, to prevent injury. Days of rest are also very important for everyone for muscle repair. As someone already suggested the couch to 5K program is good for beginners, but also if you aren't following a specific program and insist you must exercise daily, pick two days a week that you will at least halve your intensity to give your joints and muscles a break. Yoga is a great cross training exercise, and don't forget to stretch on a daily basis! (I highly suggest massage too!)
  • Mairgheal
    Mairgheal Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I walk 5k most days, in my lunchbreaks, takes me about 45 mins. I find it a nice way of getting some exercise in and the fresh air is great to get me through the afternoon in the office. In the evening I would do a short workout dvd, such a jillian michaels, for the toning.
    Im not sure about a 5k run everyday though, I'd say you'd need at least a rest day every few days (but you could do something else on those days, strenght training for example)
  • Gabbylou22
    Gabbylou22 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Cross training is important for ANYONE'S routine, even the conditioned runnings that can run many miles every day, to prevent injury. Days of rest are also very important for everyone for muscle repair. As someone already suggested the couch to 5K program is good for beginners, but also if you aren't following a specific program and insist you must exercise daily, pick two days a week that you will at least halve your intensity to give your joints and muscles a break. Yoga is a great cross training exercise, and don't forget to stretch on a daily basis! (I highly suggest massage too!)

Yesssss Streetccchhhh! I didn't stretch before training the other day, and popped my leg (I say popped because I don't know what's actually wrong with it, it just went 'pop'!) been slowing me down for over a week now. Over it.
  • jhungate
    jhungate Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I started with Couch to 5k and now average 5 to 8 miles a day, 6 days a week. I also bike an average of 25 miles a week. I was nearly 320 pounds (6'0" tall male) and am now 14 pounds from my goal weight (considering revising it down a few pounds). I am off of meds for BP and Cholesterol and am healthier at 48 than I was at 35.

What makes running so effective is that if done properly, it gives a great cardio workout and it is inexpensive and can be done most anywhere. To get started one just needs some shoes, some space and the time. Like Nike says, just "Do It".

Good luck.