New. Need motivation and encouragement

Options
In March 2016 I was 235lbs but for over a year I didn't check the scale. For 13 years I've been about 220-235. The other day I (re)found this app and decided I needed a change especially now that gravity is making everything worse. To my surprise and delight the scale read 212. I moved the scale around the floor reweighing myself thinking it was uneven floors giving a false reading but it was the exact same 212.8 all over the room. Getting the depo shot (only twice) for birth control and being diagnosed with PCOS in my early 20's shot me up to 240. I'm not sure what I changed to loose 23lbs, think it was mostly diet cuz I'd remember starting to work out if I had lol.
My soft goal is 185, the weight I was at my high school graduation. My hard goal (would have a six pack a 0% body fat) is 150. I'd be on cloud 9 hitting 160-165. I'm built like a German bar wench and have heavy dense bones anything so under 150 is unhealthy for me. If I can hit and maintain 185 that'll make me happy. Then I can work on the rest.
Other goal is to have a flat stomach. With pcos I'm not sure if it's possible and I was 14 the last time it was anywhere close to flat but any suggestions are welcome. I know this is long but it's my story. I want to reach my soft goal by Feb 2018 and get as close to my hard goal by my birthday in Aug.
I'm using the app now and really watching what is in the food I eat. It helps to really know what is good for you and maybe measured goals. I'm going to take current pics tomorrow, don't think I have any from last year unfortunately, and I'm going to start working out. Also getting a Fitbit soon to track steps. Sugar and cardio are the devil to me so I need friends to follow and push me, motivate and challenge me. And I will do the same in return.

Replies

• 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,467 Member
    Options
    I urge you to reconsider something. Ditch the time driven goals. X lbs by Y date is a way to turn weight loss success, losses, into failure, not fast enough. The way to success is not a secret. A moderate calorie deficit over time will get you where you want to go. If you read this board much though, you will find few people want to spend the time. Give yourself plenty of time to learn the process. Never stop adjusting and fine tuning.
  • shauna7531
    shauna7531 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I too need motivation and focus but I tend to blow it before I really get started. I just joined three days ago and I need this time to be different. I just joined the November challenge which I am hoping will keep me on track. Maybe it might help you too.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    So, I actually did a blog about this a while back. I had issues with motivation as well, I tend to be lazy and that doesn't really lend itself to weight loss!

So I had to go find my own motivation. I realized I can't depend on others to provide it for me, it has to come from within. Not saying friends cheering you on isn't helpful because it can be, but that only goes so far. You have to find your OWN reason for losing weight. Take a good, honest look at yourself and find that reason. It's ok if it's not the standard "to get healthy" reason so many people think it should be! Find your own personal reason, and that will help you stay on track so much better than a reason someone else picks for you.

For me, it wasn't so much being healthy as it was I wanted to fit into a size 12 again. I learned I don't have to cut out completely foods I liked, and exercise wasn't necessary. Granted, exercise is important for other health reasons, but I didn't start walking until I had lost about 25lbs, and that was only because I had to take some kind of health class for my degree, so walking was the easiest. It was good for my asthma, but honestly, all it did for my weight loss is mean I could have an extra soda on those days since I burned those calories during the walk. So yeah, my own personal reason wasn't really "to get healthy", it was more "I want to be down to a weight where I feel comfortable". Once I realized that, it was actually easier to stay on track and bounce back from mistakes. But that's another rant. ^^;
  • Rottweiler17
    Rottweiler17 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    88olds wrote: »
    I urge you to reconsider something. Ditch the time driven goals. X lbs by Y date is a way to turn weight loss success, losses, into failure, not fast enough. The way to success is not a secret. A moderate calorie deficit over time will get you where you want to go. If you read this board much though, you will find few people want to spend the time. Give yourself plenty of time to learn the process. Never stop adjusting and fine tuning.

I couldn’t agree more I have had to learn that expectations and goals are different. If you hold an expectation of X weight by X date and it doesn’t happen your gonna beat yourself up and feel like you didn’t do enough. When we set yourself by expectations we almost always fail....but now if it’s a goal.....work as hard as you can and make it a reachable goal but if you don’t reach it then don’t be disheartened. If you made progress through that then your a winner no matter what. But I do agree be careful setting goals but if you do and don’t meet it that’s ok as long as you’re making positive progress towards your end goal