Eating after seven??

Options
I have been told that you should not eat after seven. Does this really matter as long as you don't go over your assigned calories?? What is your experience with this?

Replies

• amybkatherine
    amybkatherine Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    It might not be true for most people, but for me it makes a big difference if I don't eat after 7:30. When I do - even if it's healthy food - I wake up with a stomach ache.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    Nah.

I eat after 7 some nights of the week because the bus does not get me home any earlier. The only rule I have is not after 8, but that's because then I struggle to sleep.
  • KarenSmith2018
    KarenSmith2018 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I regularly eat after 1900 as I don't get home from the gym until after this time. So long as the calorie deficit remains you can eat all your calories after 1900 or none. Its personal preference. It can help adherence to a deficit to say I won't eat after a certain time but if you are shoving in 3000 calories before than and only need 1500 you will gain regardless.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    i eat at around 9-10 every night - my bowl of cereal right before bed
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    The only evening I eat dinner before 7 is Saturday, because I go to bed by 7 to work at midnight. It never hindered my weight loss.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    I eat 90% calories 9-2 am, lost and have been maintaining for 4 years. It has absolutely no affect on weight if you are in your calories.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    the only thing that matters for weight loss is your total calorie intake over long periods of time.

the only reason i'd ever tell someone not to eat past a certain time is if...
    1. they've already eaten all their calories for the day and are therefore OVEReating at night.
    2. they have issues with gerd/acid reflux in which eating a couple hours before bed can cause issues

I personally eat about 400-500 calories throughout the entire day, then go to the gym at night, and then eat almost all of my calories (~1,200) afterwards around 9 PM. I then shower and pass out.

Same here haha.
  • shauna7531
    shauna7531 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the feed back!
  • hydechildcare
    hydechildcare Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    akb1249 wrote: »
    It might not be true for most people, but for me it makes a big difference if I don't eat after 7:30. When I do - even if it's healthy food - I wake up with a stomach ache.

Me too. I also have better weighs the next morning if I make sure to eat before 7. Probably because I am not up all night with that full feeling.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    only if by eating after 7 you go over your calories for the day.
  • Sunnybrooke99
    Sunnybrooke99 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    It doesn’t matter calorie wise, but depending on what you eat, it could affect how you sleep, or how you feel the next day. I actually opt for some higher calorie snacks late at night bc I come home late, and usually have extra calories, but I don’t like to go to bed after eating a lot.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    My experience is weight loss and decades of weight maintenance while eating 80% (m/l) of my calories after 7:00 p.m. I sleep well and according to all tests (of which there are many at my age) I'm healthy.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    I eat after 7 most night simply due to my work schedule. Doesn't matter.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    akb1249 wrote: »

This is where personal preference can take precedence over what is best for weight loss. Eating after 7 doesn't impact long-term weight loss, but it can give me heartburn so I tend not to have a big meal after 7. Bear in mind I'm asleep by 9 and up at 5 most days, so after 7 is close to bed time. I need the couple of hours to digest.

But it does not impact how much weight I lose as long as I stay to my calorie goal.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    shauna7531 wrote: »
    I have been told that you should not eat after seven. Does this really matter as long as you don't go over your assigned calories?? What is your experience with this?

It could be good advice for [1] those who boredom snack and tend to go over their calories, or [2] don't sleep as well if they've eaten near bedtime (and go to bed particularly early).

(edit:typo)
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I think it depends what you eat and when your schedule is. I do eat after 7:00 pm, but I try not to eat meat after 9:00 pm. I work evenings and for a while did not even wake up until 10:00 am., so it wouldn't work for me not to eat after 7:00 pm. Sometimes I'm at the pool at 10:00 pm and going to bed between midnight and 2:00 a.m. I rarely get hom before 9:00 pm from work. I tried not eating after 7:00 pm with this schedule and just made me cranky and subject to binging. There are entire cultures that eat dinner after 8:00 pm, some as late as 11:00 pm.