Exercise Physiologist or Certifed Personal Trainer???

Options
1. Cost is not a concern
2. Assuming one person is not both

An exercise physiologist is not the same as a personal trainer.

General Definition: An exercise physiologist is a health care professional who has completed a degree in exercise physiology and/or has been certified by the American Society of Exercise Physiologists.

General definition: A personal trainer is an individual certified to have a varying degree of knowledge of general fitness involved in exercise prescription and instruction. They motivate clients by setting goals and providing feedback and accountability to clients.

As there are several, please don't go off topic by arguing which personal trainer certification is better. Stay focused on the concept of Physiologist knowledge and scope of work vs Personal Trainer knowledge and scope of work.

Looking forward to the feedback.

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Like almost every other question asked in the history of man, the answer is:

It depends.
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    If cost is not a concern, then the exercise physiologist would likely make a great coach. However, cost would definitely be a concern. I see an exercise physiologist as part of the treatment for a back injury, they are WAY more expensive than a personal trainer.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    What is the goal?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    You can't just ask a random question comparing oranges to apples.

There are so many factors that come into play. Specific goals, location and accessibility, cost, personality/motivation style, track records of success in the specific goal you have, etc. etc. etc.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    is there a question? :huh:
  • TavistockToad
    Options

I dint think so....

ok, good to know! :drinker:
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Are you considering a career choice or looking for help with a fitness program?

It all depends on your goals.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for debate, there is a Debate Forum.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    There are more questions in the responses than the original post, if indeed there even was one at all.

Are they looking to become one or the other, or use the services of one?
  • corgarian
    corgarian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I'm coming at this assuming you are asking our opinions about which one to choose.

Based on context clues Id say if you have a severe mental block when it comes to fitness and diet maybe the physiologist would be the best choice to give you the tools you need to break through those barriers.

If what you need is instruction in the gym and that extra motivation that maybe you cant give to yourself, then I'd say a personal trainer is the right choice.

I started with a personal trainer about 4 months ago and he has changed my life. He pushes me more than I'm capable of pushing myself and he knows I'm stronger than I believe I am. I only see him once a week for a really good blow-out workout, but those workouts encourage me to continue to push myself during the week. I couldn't recommend a trainer more.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you need really. I'd think an exercise physiologist would be in order if you have very high fitness aspirations...ie, more than being a recreational athlete.

My trainer happens to be both and while he does train regular old Joe Shmoes like myself, he works largely with high level athletes, many of which are pro. He has also worked with some actors and actresses preparing for physical action rolls.

He can provide way more than I actually need, but he dumbs down my training as I am no kind of elite athlete, nor to I want or intend to be. He's also my really good friend, so he doesn't charge me what he would charge one of his pros, for example.
  • Lisa8823168
    Lisa8823168 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I was asking for feedback on which I should choose. Would like feed back based on experiences. I have free access to both, as we have the same employer...it is one of the perks. Both have been advised of my goals and both say they can successfully work with me to accomplish them.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I was asking for feedback on which I should choose. Would like feed back based on experiences. I have free access to both, as we have the same employer...it is one of the perks. Both have been advised of my goals and both say they can successfully work with me to accomplish them.

Okay you still haven't given us any real information, so... go with whichever one has a proven track record of achieving success with their previous clients in regards to your specific goals or with whomever you feel more confident in hiring.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    It's kind of like asking should i wear a bathing suit or a ski parka for my trip. It depends. If you tell us your goals.. and what kind of help you want from hiring someone.. we can advise which to choose (or possibly suggest a third option). :+1:
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    It's kind of like asking should i wear a bathing suit or a ski parka for my trip. It depends. If you tell us your goals.. and what kind of help you want from hiring someone.. we can advise which to choose (or possibly suggest a third option). :+1:

Yeah, this.

One might be tempted to say, "bathing suit."

Oh, you're going to the Rocky Mountains up in Canada in January?OK, bathing suit might still be applicable, if you're planning on staying inside by a heated pool the entire time. But probably not.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

I'd pick the one who has the best active wear... and bright trainers...
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    if you have access to both - it goes back to what are your goals?

I work with an exercise physiologist as part of my training/nutrition development for endurance triathlon (the guy I work with has a PhD in exercise physiology) - but if i wanted help developing a strength training routine, I would probably see a personal trainer
  • ConnieAGinther
    ConnieAGinther Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I use a exercise physiologist. She is just like a personal trainer; she comes to my home to train me and I go to the gym 3 to 4 times a week with what she has taught me. The personal trainers that I have noticed at my gym really don't seem interested. Just my opinion
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    To me, this seems a little like the Dietician versus Nutritionist argument/comparison/debate...