Water weight question

Options
Mmkay, so this last week, I'm averaging 10-15 cups of water a day. I eat lots of fiber. Yet, I lost no weight this week.
But I think I'm holding on to that water. Don't get me wrong, when I'm thirsty, in usually go for water, but I'm suspecting my body is clinging to it. Should I consider trying a laxative or some other water-flushing method to try and help encourage it to leave?

Replies

• 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    No. One week is not an indicator of progress. Are you tracking your calories?
  • changeconsumeme
    changeconsumeme Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Are you tracking every bite of food? Are you weighing your food rather than using cups and measuring spoons? Are you eating all of your daily calories plus any exercise calories? You are not going to lose weight if you are not in a calorie deficit.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    No. One week is not an indicator of progress. Are you tracking your calories?

This^

Calories are what matters for weigh loss. It's not about drinking water (if only it were that easy).

Diuretics and laxatives are not something to take lightly. You can seriously screw up your digestive system. Look up laxative dependency.......
  • ReginasHorror
    ReginasHorror Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Are you tracking every bite of food? Are you weighing your food rather than using cups and measuring spoons? Are you eating all of your daily calories plus any exercise calories? You are not going to lose weight if you are not in a calorie deficit.

I track everything, but I don't eat all my daily calories, and I don't usually eat back my exercise calories unless it's a special occasion.
  • katnadreau
    katnadreau Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Use a laxative only if you're constipated. Have you begun a new workout routine? Time for your cycle? Sometimes bloat just likes to hang around. I've been holding on to mine for 4 weeks, then this morning "woosh" down 2 lbs. I personally think you should just ride it out, drink water if you're thirsty, it will all even out in the end. No need to go to excessive measures just to see that number you want on the scale.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Banmox wrote: »

I track everything, but I don't eat all my daily calories, and I don't usually eat back my exercise calories unless it's a special occasion.

Yes - but HOW are you measuring calorie intake? Are you using a food scale for solids, and a measuring cup for liquids?

See the flow chart listed here...........http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10179969/weight-loss-flow-chart-2-0/p1
  • ReginasHorror
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

No, you should not try a laxative...it's just water...it has nothing to do with fat...stop obsessing about the number on the scale. You're not going to lose weight every week in a linear fashion...weight loss doesn't work that way.

I think I know somewhere you're right, it's just frustrating. You bust your *kitten* and see no progress. I know it's a marathon, not a sprint, but it didn't lessen the disappointment
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

But do you weigh all solids you eat and measure all liquids, and use the correct entry in the database? If not, start there, if you are, give it time, if in a few weeks you are not losing as you would expect, adjust your intake.
  • jondspen
    jondspen Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Weight Loss Plateaus aren't considered real plateaus till at least 4 weeks of accurately counting calories in/out and still not seeing any type of loss. Also, lifestyle and diet can make a difference (high sodium intake can cause water retention for example).

I wouldn't worry about it. Stay on track, accurately log everything, and accept the fact that your weight will fluctuate up and down in the short term (days/weeks). Long term (months) you should see weight loss.
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Drinking more water should cause you to drop water weight, not hold on to it, but I have to agree that it's too soon to expect progress. If you're actually bloated (eating lots of salt? alcohol? starchy carbs?) and looking for a diuretic, laxatives are super dangerous, but some green tea wouldn't hurt.
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options

No, you should not try a laxative...it's just water...it has nothing to do with fat...stop obsessing about the number on the scale. You're not going to lose weight every week in a linear fashion...weight loss doesn't work that way.

I think I know somewhere you're right, it's just frustrating. You bust your *kitten* and see no progress. I know it's a marathon, not a sprint, but it didn't lessen the disappointment

commit-to-the-process-quote.jpg?resize=800%2C800

CtZsj2BVYAAcBbK.jpg

quote-every-result-or-goal-you-want-to-achieve-is-preceded-by-a-process-the-secret-to-success-hal-elrod-103-44-35.jpg

C5i7I5zXEAEIVET.jpg

goal-focus-process.png

quote-it-s-the-same-with-business-if-you-focus-on-the-goal-and-not-the-process-you-inevitably-yvon-chouinard-76-81-75.jpg

Awesome!
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

You should probably eat those calories. Why apply a plan only to refuse to follow said plan? What is the point if the plan then other than to introduce stress?
  • ReginasHorror
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »

You should probably eat those calories. Why apply a plan only to refuse to follow said plan? What is the point if the plan then other than to introduce stress?

It seems everyone is really split on this subject. The general opinion is that you DON'T eat those calories back because you need the deficit to lose weight.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,107 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

It seems everyone is really split on this subject. The general opinion is that you DON'T eat those calories back because you need the deficit to lose weight.

No that's just wrong, your deficit is already accounted for in your calorie allowance. You DO eat those calories back if you are using the MFP method, the only people who shouldn't be eating them back are those that have used a TDEE method of calculation and have a manual entered allowance.

You still also haven't answered to PP questions about whether you are weighing your food or not?

n9p0rv9y7k7i.jpg
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options

MFP calorie goals are already have a deficit built in. That is why they give you extra calories for exercise. To eat them or not is a personal choice, but continuous under-eating can have severe consequences.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    You haven't said yet if you use a food scale for all your solids
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Additionally, if you've just started exercising - or changing your exercise program/routine - yeah, you're likely holding on to some extra water weight, which will largely go away in a few weeks.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

yes, you need a deficit to lose weight of course....but that deficit is already calculated in. If you exercise more then you should eat more, I mean that is clear right? If you expend more energy you need to intake more energy to keep your deficit the same.

If I want to lose 1 pound a month then I need to eat at a caloric deficit of roughly 750 calories a week. If, during that week, I do additional exercise then I clearly have spent more calories and so my deficit is increasing. If I want my deficit to remain the same and keep on track with the plan then I should eat more. This will help me keep my energy up and stay on track. There is something very empowering about following a plan. If you aren't going to follow a plan, why make a plan?

When I was losing weight there were days I ate 1800 calories, there were days I ate 3300 calories. My deficit however remained fixed. In otherwords it isn't the amount of calories you intake that you want to keep the same, its your deficit that you want to keep the same.