Sciatica and herniated disc

Options
What type of exercise would be good for me? I'm trying to lose weight. Haven't done any type of exercise in a Loooong time. I recently lost 10 pounds since the first of October, and want to start some type of exercise routine. I don't have a gym near me. I have some free hand weights/dumbells that go up to 5 pounds.

A couple of years ago, I would walk during my lunch time. I tried to increase the distance a bit more every couple of days. Well, I ended up in urgent care. Could not straighten up because my lower back hurt so bad. That's how I found out about my herniated disc and sciatic nerve damage. All they gave me were pain meds, and let me go. I got better, but now I'm scared to try walking again. I moved to a new city and have a doctor's appointment next month with a new primary care doctor to get a full check up and find out what is going on with my lower back now.

But in the meantime, what might be something to do to get my blood flowing and help lose more weight? I'm 54 if that makes any difference. Thanks! ~ Judy

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    How about biking, or use an exercise bike?

If you walk.. be diligent about constantly contracting your abs. They brace the spine & pelvis. Basically you pull in your lower abs and brace them.
    Also wear "zero heel" shoes like Keds, Converse, etc, so you walk smoothly. No running shoes.

Strength training burns very few calories, and 5-pounders won't do much for strength, but you can try some of the exercises in the program that's in my profile.

Weight loss doesn't require any exercise, just a calorie deficit. :+1:
  • Jigglypuff00
    Jigglypuff00 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    No money to afford any equipment. Also, my knees are shot. I used to live near a Y and used their equipment and couldn't use the bike. I have a bike, but I fell off of it and the rim is bent now. Guess it really ISN'T like riding a bike! LOL! Good tip about contracting the abs and the shoes. And I'll check out those exercises. Thanks!

I did walk for 15 minutes in the yard yesterday. I refuse to walk on pavement. I think that's what caused me to hurt my back. My hips and buttocks hurt after. I stretched before and after, and today I'm not sore.
  • denisebrault72
    denisebrault72 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Look up Piriformis Stretch. It saved me!
  • rdmyers62
    rdmyers62 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you can go to the Y...they should have a pool. Swimming, water aerobics etc can enhance via cardio and burn fat...without putting undo stress on your knees. Just my opinion.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Can you see a physical therapist? They will help with stretching and strength exercises to get you in walking condition again.
  • Jigglypuff00
    Options
    rdmyers62 wrote: »
    If you can go to the Y...they should have a pool. Swimming, water aerobics etc can enhance via cardio and burn fat...without putting undo stress on your knees. Just my opinion.

No Y in the place I've moved to. There is a Planet Fitness about 1/2 hour away, but that's too far to go every day or every other day.

I'd love to be able to swim though!
  • Jigglypuff00
    Options
    Can you see a physical therapist? They will help with stretching and strength exercises to get you in walking condition again.

That will one of the things I'm going to bring up to my new doctor.

Some one posted those Piriformis stretches on Facebook yesterday. I will probably start doing them too. I did the first one last night and about killed myself! I'm not that coordinated!
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

That will one of the things I'm going to bring up to my new doctor.

Some one posted those Piriformis stretches on Facebook yesterday. I will probably start doing them too. I did the first one last night and about killed myself! I'm not that coordinated!

Piriformis stretches can be hard if you're not very flexible (I'm not and had a terrible time with piriformis syndrome). When do you see a new doctor? Does your insurance allow you just to have physical therapy appointments without a referral? They will really work with you to do exercises and stretches you can do, and also do the manual (rubbing) therapy to get at the icky spot. It does a world of good.

• Jigglypuff00
    Options
    My appointment's not until the 20th of Nov. I don't even know if it does or not! It was never something I looked into. I guess I need to now that I'm old and creaky. LOL! I'm not flexible at all either. I was thinking maybe yoga could help?
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    Take a look at this - gives a few exercises to help fix herniated discs with demonstrations.
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=AMFERuFVzkM
  • PennyBrew
    PennyBrew Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    There are modified piriformis stretches. You can either sit in a chair or lay down, if you have trouble holding your leg you can use a yoga strap or even a pillow case. There are also some yoga stretches that can help with the lower back pain.
  • tomsquest
    tomsquest Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Where about is it?

I had a herniated disc l1/s5 which is lower lumbar. The pain was agony. Anyway i made a full recovery, took me 12 months or so.

Anyway my first port of call was chiropractor and I saw him for six weeks. I did not get much better to be honest.

What helped:

First standing up as much as i could because any kind of bending was out of the question.

Sleep on the floor. ( squashy matriss and sofa make it worse ).
    Sleep with a cushion between your legs ( spine stays in shape ).

Body weight squats-as low as you can go but don’t force it.

Keep your posture perfect as much as you can.

I walked a lot too, 3 hours a day maybe, morning, lunch, night (before bed).

I am pt though so had a good understanding of my body, i would suggest finding a good one.

O and you will loose weight just by walking and eating properly.

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    In the US PT have to work under Dr orders.
  • Jigglypuff00
    Options
    Oh gosh. I don't remember to be honest. It's in the lower back. The PA showed me the xray of it and tried to explain it, but I was in too much pain to remember. My paperwork is buried somewhere since I'd moved twice since then. I really want to see this new doctor and get things going. I will not see a chiropractor. I do not trust them. My friend has a broken neck and she said it was from going to a chiropractor. I know some are great at what they do. But I don't want to take that chance. I can't take that chance.

If a physical therapist has to work under a doctor's orders, then I may as well wait. I have fairly good insurance, but I don't use it. So I don't know what's covered and what's not. I avoid going to doctors unless its for emergencies. So now I'll be poked and prodded. LOL! But I guess it's time. Other than being overweight and stressed out a lot, I'm fairly healthy. At least I think so. Just need to lose the weight. Thanks everyone for all the replies. The 20th will be here soon enough. Days just seem to fly by lately. Have a good night!
  • lexiJ95
    lexiJ95 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I know the pain! I would really hold off on any exercise until you're seen.
    I was in an accident back in August and herniated 2 discs, I kept going, kept working, kept my workout routine and ended up slipping 4 more and severed 2 nerves. I go in for L5-S1 surgery this week. If you're able to get a sooner appt, call and tell them what's going on they should be able to sneak you in. If not, really take it easy! Lifting is a huge no no as are stretches which extend past 90 degrees.
    PT is definitely the way to go if they'll let you do it. They will also give you tools to aid in your weightloss journey since many back injuries are worsened or caused by weight.

Trust me when I say I know how hard it is to hold off, but you don't want any further damage.
    Best of luck!
  • SSpeakes
    SSpeakes Posts: 95 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I have herniated discs and sciatica. The MRI was super scary. All doctors, ortho, Neuro, pain mgmt and PT were surprised I could even walk. I had surgery in January of this year. Once I survived tax season (I'm an accountant), I started with a personal trainer who knew my limitations.

I still have sciatica issues with pain down my leg. I'm scheduled for an injection on Friday. What works for me is to strengthen the core. I have difficulty with crunches but can rock some planks. Strengthening the core will strengthen all the back muscles in that area. Walking isn't the most comfortable but it can be done. I have to wear a really good pair of shoes though. I can't do the keds that were mentioned above. I need cushion. I love my brooks ghost 10s. Look up stretches and do them several times a day but start slow. I like bike riding and the rowing machine at the gym. Exercises where I sit help take pressure off of the leg. Same as exercises where I bend over ( dumbbell rows, flys, etc). I've lost 36 pounds so far and that's made A big improvement.

If you are scheduled for PT, you should get good stretches and exercises. Listen to your body.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i really really don't blame you for being scared. and to be honest, this is one of those times when i feel like you're best off having somebody look at you first. discs can herniate in all the directions, so what's okay for one person might be a different story for someone else.
  • Jigglypuff00
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. I get it...why I shouldn't worry about working out right now. Gloriam...You're right. I only have one body. I was doing some walking, but not very fast or long. Plus I found an exercise routine on YouTube that was very low impact and only 15 minutes long. I just didn't do the moves that I felt would be too difficult. But I realize now, that even that could further injure my spine. So I'll just wait. I'm doing good with just diet alone. I've lost 15 pounds for this month. I don't anticipate quite the same amount of loss next month, but any loss is better than a gain, right?! Thanks again!
  • svetskisampion
    svetskisampion Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Are you taking any medication to ease the sciatic pain? I've had sciatica since June and have been given Naproxen for the nerve pain as well as diazepam (valium) as a muscle stimulant. They help me to be up and not in pain when walking. Also, I've been using a compression brace just below my left knee which takes away the shooting pain down my left leg, again allowing me to be active and walk. I'm due an MRI scan within a fortnight and then my doctor says if it's a case for surgery he will fast track me so I can recover by the new year. Please be careful performing stretches as you can easily exceed what is comfortable for yourself and do more damage. Take it light and use an alteration of heat and ice afterward. Also, for your lower back, you can lie flat on your back and place a tennis ball between your "tail" and whichever side your sciatica is affecting and roll around a fair bit on it. I have the gretest of sympathy for you as sciatica is an absolute nightmare and has left me in tears on many occasion from the pain! Best wishes :)
  • Jigglypuff00
    Options
    Are you taking any medication to ease the sciatic pain? I've had sciatica since June and have been given Naproxen for the nerve pain as well as diazepam (valium) as a muscle stimulant. They help me to be up and not in pain when walking. Also, I've been using a compression brace just below my left knee which takes away the shooting pain down my left leg, again allowing me to be active and walk. I'm due an MRI scan within a fortnight and then my doctor says if it's a case for surgery he will fast track me so I can recover by the new year. Please be careful performing stretches as you can easily exceed what is comfortable for yourself and do more damage. Take it light and use an alteration of heat and ice afterward. Also, for your lower back, you can lie flat on your back and place a tennis ball between your "tail" and whichever side your sciatica is affecting and roll around a fair bit on it. I have the gretest of sympathy for you as sciatica is an absolute nightmare and has left me in tears on many occasion from the pain! Best wishes :)

I haven't been prescribed anything. Back when I ended up in Urgent Care, all they gave me were muscle relaxers and pain pills - opioids which I didn't want to take. I think I took one pill, and then just Advil afterwards. That happened over 2 years ago. Since then I haven't been in pain unless I do too much. Walking around the grocery store can make it ache. But I wasn't bent over in excruciating pain. However, lack of movement and bad diet has caused me to gain even more weight. Which I am now working on. I was hoping to speed up the process by working out, but I don't want to end up back in the hospital and out of work again. So I'll wait until my appointment and see what can be done for me. I have used a tennis ball in that area and it helped! I'll try a compression brace and see if that helps. The pain is mostly isolated in my right butt cheek and hip area though. Occasionally travels down the leg but not all the way. Thanks for the good wishes! :)