TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    kates8600 wrote: »
    Hi all, first post so please take it easy on me

You already said that...
  • notreallychris
    notreallychris Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Lots of top posters (above me) willing to answer specific questions. May I also recommend the "Must Reads" in the Getting Started tabs.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300331/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,068 Member
    Options
    oops!

Welcome. :flowerforyou:
  • kates8600
    kates8600 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm a 150lb female, 5ft 8 & trying to lose a stone. I have a desk job so I'm sat down 9-5pm 5 days of the week. At the moment I walk my dog every other day (about 2miles) & spend 60mins on my stationary bike 5-6 days a week. I have health problems so can't go hell for leather on my bike, but I can burn roughly 360cals in that 60mins.

I've been doing this for 3 weeks now & not lost a single lb. My calorie intake is 1200 but I'm wondering if I'm eating too little cals & causing my body to go into starvation mode?

Really appreciate some advice on my calorie consumption I should be having based on the above
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Sorry I did write more but it won't show it all

If you use unsupported emojis, it will cut off any text after the emoji.

Read this thread. It probably has the answer to whatever your question is.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants#latest
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I'm a 150lb female, 5ft 8 & trying to lose a stone. I have a desk job so I'm sat down 9-5pm 5 days of the week. At the moment I walk my dog every other day (about 2miles) & spend 60mins on my stationary bike 5-6 days a week. I have health problems so can't go hell for leather on my bike, but I can burn roughly 360cals in that 60mins.

I've been doing this for 3 weeks now & not lost a single lb. My calorie intake is 1200 but I'm wondering if I'm eating too little cals & causing my body to go into starvation mode?

Really appreciate some advice on my calorie consumption I should be having based on the above

Nope, starvation mode isn't really a thing.

Do you weigh your food with scales?
  • kates8600
    Options
    I religiously weigh everything. The last time I did this I wasn't exercising apart from walking my dog
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Is the exercise new to you then? You may be retaining water due to the stress being placed on your muscles.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,068 Member
    Options
    You aren't eating nearly enough.

You are already at a healthy weight. Set Goals to "lose .25 kilo per week." Eat that amount (it will be more than 1200)

When you exercise, eat a couple hundred more.

You aren't going to lose it quickly and healthily, since you have not much to lose.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Definitely check the link quiksylver posted. Are you weighing your food? Also keep in mind that weight loss often occurs in chunks, not continuously. One theory on why that is that your fat cells can fill with fluid as the fat is burned. Then it takes time for the fluid to flush out as the cells shrink. So it might be you just need to give it more time.

Is the 1200 your total intake, or are you eating back the exercise calories? You wouldn't enter starvation mode before losing a single pound. If 1200 is too low for you to maintain for a long period of time though, you might want to calculate your TDEE and then switch to a 500 cal per day deficit.
  • brendanwhite84
    brendanwhite84 Posts: 220 Member
    Options

You might have had a non-tissue (eg. water or waste) weight fluctuation that masked your actual loss. I fluctuate between 5 and 10 lbs in a single day.

We can give you tips on how to weigh yourself properly if you like.
  • kates8600
    Options
    Regular exercise is new to me, I got my bike 3/4 weeks ago & started out on 20mins 6 days a week & gradually increased it to 60mins between then & now.

I really want to keep doing what I'm doing, but I just didn't know if I was eating too few calories a day
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

Did you set MFP to lose 2 pounds a week? You should reset that to .5 a week with only 14 pounds to lose.

You are not going into this starvation mode (not a thing), but you can be under eating. Calorie deficits, exercising puts stress on your body. I predict too somewhere in this 3 weeks your monthly cycle has or is coming as well? All of this is going to cause the scale to fluctuate, water weight, etc.

Readjust your goal and give it another few weeks.
  • kates8600
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

Did you set MFP to lose 2 pounds a week? You should reset that to .5 a week with only 14 pounds to lose.

You are not going into this starvation mode (not a thing), but you can be under eating. Calorie deficits, exercising puts stress on your body. I predict too somewhere in this 3 weeks your monthly cycle has or is coming as well? All of this is going to cause the scale to fluctuate, water weight, etc.

Readjust your goal and give it another few weeks.

Yer I did set it to 2lbs