Suggestions for a good coffee maker?

Options
I currently have a Keureg & with all the coffee my family goes through in the morning it’s becoming more of a hassle than a convenience. We don’t use the pods, we have have the little filter we put our own grounds into. But we are realizing it would be so much easier just to make one big pot each morning. So I need suggestions for a good, but affordable coffee maker.

Replies

• maggibailey
    maggibailey Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I have been drinking coffee since I was 12, pretty religiously. I have had $100 to $15 dollar coffee makers and honestly I can’t tell the difference. Keep them clean run vinager through them occasionally and they all work about the same. My favorite is to use a French press but if you want coffee that stays hot for any length of time that won’t cut it for you either.
  • tjones0411
    tjones0411 Posts: 179 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Not sure what you consider affordable, but we have this one from Capresso and love it. We like freshly ground, but some of the cheaper grind n brews allow the steam to come into contact with the beans and it's a mess to clean. This one grinds the beans in a separate chamber (still attached to the machine) so the steam doesn't touch them. You can adjust the coarseness of the grounds and the number of cups you wish to brew.

https://amazon.com/dp/B002EVOVPI/ref=asc_df_B002EVOVPI5232963/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B002EVOVPI&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167144008776&hvpos=1o3&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12303961757459450801&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9008022&hvtargid=pla-277862535812
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    We bought a Coffeemate pot at WalMart for about $12...it worked well for us for a couple of years. It still works well, I just went back to the Keurig because we were able to each have a different strength of coffee instead of one pot of the same.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I have a basic Mr. Coffee programmable coffee maker. I think it was $29.99 and works just fine.
  • Sunnybrooke99
    Sunnybrooke99 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I use a French press bc it’s use me, but before I got it, i had a plain small, inexpensive coffee pot. I liked it bc it makes a pot fast, and you can just make a fresh pot in a few mins if you need more.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    tjones0411 wrote: »
    Not sure what you consider affordable, but we have this one from Capresso and love it. We like freshly ground, but some of the cheaper grind n brews allow the steam to come into contact with the beans and it's a mess to clean. This one grinds the beans in a separate chamber (still attached to the machine) so the steam doesn't touch them. You can adjust the coarseness of the grounds and the number of cups you wish to brew.

https://amazon.com/dp/B002EVOVPI/ref=asc_df_B002EVOVPI5232963/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B002EVOVPI&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167144008776&hvpos=1o3&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12303961757459450801&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9008022&hvtargid=pla-277862535812

You're my favorite person today. I'm totally ordering this. we have the Cuisinart grind 'n brew, and it makes fabulous coffee, but it's a giant PITA to clean and half the time, I can't be bothered so I just buy coffee on the road.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    thecharon wrote: »
    It's not the maker that makes the "big" difference. It's the coffee you use. For me, Foldgers is good. Cheap store brand coffee should be banned :) . So, don't sweat spending a lot on a maker.

This. We buy good coffee beans that we grind ourselves.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    While we're here, does anyone have one of those that pulls shots/steams milk/brews coffee combos? Are they worth it?
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    thecharon wrote: »
    aeloine wrote: »
    While we're here, does anyone have one of those that pulls shots/steams milk/brews coffee combos? Are they worth it?

A person in front of me was returning one. She said it's too hard to clean? Read the reviews in Amazon. A simple life is a great life.

Good call.
  • madwells1
    madwells1 Posts: 510 Member
    Options

My favorite drip coffee maker is the Cuisinart Brew Central DCC-1200.

Note, I am a coffee lover...I have a french press, a professional grade espresso machine, and a drip coffee maker. Different coffee for different days!!
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Honestly, get any automatic coffeemaker you want unless you consider yourself a connoisseur. As much as I appreciate a good cup of coffee, I generally end up prioritizing it's ability to give me quick caffeine in the morning more. When the first cup tends to go down in 2 minutes, quality isn't that critical! And since the other people in my house load theirs down with milk and sugar, they're not really looking for nuance in flavor.

I had a grind and brew model and hated it. Very hard to clean and the coffee it made was not heads and shoulders above any other automatic. These days, I either go full automatic drip with supermarket purchased grinds for my quick morning dose, or beans bought from a local roaster ground right before brewing in a french press or pour over for my leisurely weekend cup.
  • tjones0411
    tjones0411 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    JeepHair77 wrote: »

You're my favorite person today. I'm totally ordering this. we have the Cuisinart grind 'n brew, and it makes fabulous coffee, but it's a giant PITA to clean and half the time, I can't be bothered so I just buy coffee on the road.

Yes! The Cuisinart grind n brew is exactly the one I was referring to that's a pain to clean. The Capresso is the only one we've found where the bean storage/grinder is separate.
  • AidenT94
    AidenT94 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I bought a cheap coffee maker from WalMart... it's definitely the coffee and creamers you purchase that make a difference. B)
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    French press.
  • Kalex1975
    Kalex1975 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    America’s Test Kitchen’s “best buy” in their “best coffee maker (automatic drip)” category is the Bonavita 8-Cup Coffee Maker with Thermal Carafe...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00O9FO1HK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_S4t8zbK7ZW664
  • olive1968
    olive1968 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I have the Bonavita. Love it.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    You can grind the beans in a blender(no water or steam needed) and then use as you would any coffee grounds. Spend your money on good coffee. Get a regular coffee maker at Target or Walmart.
  • dwilliamca
    dwilliamca Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Mine is old and not expensive, but I like it because it isn't just a coffee maker. The other side makes small pots or cups of espresso and cappuccino. I assume they still make these....I hope. My daughter has gone through 3 Keurigs in less than 5 years and I think the cartridges are ridiculous in price.