Dorm Room Snacks/Meals

Options
I find it difficult to buy food for the dorms without going to the macaroni or granolas.

What are some easy healthy snacks I can make? I find that if I load up on fruits and veggies, I can't finish them in time and end up throwing them out!

Replies

• cdupuie84
    Options
    Have you thought about dried fruit? When I was living in a dorm, we had a full size kitchen on the first floor. I had a mini fridge that I kept frozen entrees in and bagged salad. Snack foods, I would say dried fruit and nuts. Maybe Quacker rice cakes? You can still get the fresh fruit and veggies just buy less at a time.
  • catecn
    catecn Posts: 84
    Options
    idividual jellos are good, 100 cal packs of nuts or crackers, do u have a freezer and microwave? if so, id recommend any of the frozen products from boca or morning star. my roommate my freshman year always kept their chichen patties in our freezer. Cereal or course, and ziplocks. those are a few things from my first year. also, is their a ww near you? they have great snacks, i get stuff from them all the time, i like their oatmeals, gummie candies, etc.
  • suzyluzy
    suzyluzy Posts: 78
    Options
    Thanks for the responses!

Yes, I have a fridge. My freezer is very tiny, I usually fit 2 of those 99 cent TV dinners from walmart (terrible, I know, but no more of those for me!).

Rice cakes and nuts--I like it!

Our kitchen has an oven and microwave for public use.

I could look into those options for sure. I am not sure what a WW is. When my mates and I do the grocery trip, we go to walmart.
  • Bethannny
    Options
    I'm going to buy almonds, trail mix bars and yogurt. :)
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    soup! my plan is to heat it up and keep it in a thermos so I can have some in the library. individual yogurts and granola (put it in baggies for transport). this may just be me but I love to suck on frozen berries, the raspberries melt pretty fast when you suck on them, and they are great if you let them melt then add them to yogurt. baby carrots and ranch are good as well.
  • t_rog
    t_rog Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    bump! i'm going off to college in about a month, so thank you for this post :)
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    - Sachets of cup a soups & Melba toasts

- Melba toasts & laughing cow wedges

- zip lock bag of grapes in the freezer (They are like little balls of sorbet).

- Toasted pitta bread with salsa/ tzatziki

- low fat yoghurts

- low cal cereal bars
  • pixiechick8321
    pixiechick8321 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Ah, dorm days....how I do not miss them! ;-)

But here are some suggestions from my time...

Cheese
    yogurt
    Crackers
    Rice Cakes
    Chips (try to go healthy on these)
    granola bars
    fruit (Freeze it if getting to a "bad" stage)
    bread
    peanut butter
    nuts
    potato (put under your bed or in closet to keep in dark place) - these are REALLY easy to microwave and eat with a sprinkle of cheese and a bit of yogurt
    veggies (cut them up and share around, it'll go faster if y'all do that then try to horde)
    soups

Good luck!
  • suzyluzy
    suzyluzy Posts: 78
    Options
    I love all these ideas! I will definitely try the potato!